1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First Live (exclusively) Beer Event in Texas!

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Walt, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am so very excited and pleased to announce, what I believe, is the first beer festival to occur in Texas to solely feature unique and rare firkins! As many of you know, storing and dispensing beer from firkins has been done for centuries. So the breweries that we have invited to participate are as excited as we are to create some very special beers (some of which may never be seen again) which will certainly showcase how creative and talented our Texas brewers are! We will be publishing a beer list in the week or so preceding the event, but the breweries confirmed to participate are listed in the event information (press release and flyer) which is attached.

Tickets are on sale now at the Flix Brewhouse website (www.flixbrewhouse.com) for the April 21 event, which takes place from noon until 4pm. We will have food available for purchase, courtesy of HomeField Grill, and live music all afternoon! Tickets purchased prior to March 1st will be $30, and tickets purchased on March 1st and after will be $35. Tickets include 8 three ounce samples (with additional samples being available for purchase at the event) and a commemorative tasting glass! We will also have merchandise for sale, commemorating this inaugural event!

We do suggest arriving early, as checkin for the event will begin shortly before noon…because at noon, the firkins will start flowing! There will be at least 30 (THIRTY!!!) different firkins present!

Event info: http://www.flixbrewhouse.com/event/firkin-fest-2013/
    Ticket sales: http://www.galaxytheatres.com/flix-brewhouse/movie-info?movie=549

-Walt
    champ103, TapThat and bentwookie like this.
  2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Awesome.

On behalf of the service industry, thanks for having it on a Sunday. I'll definitely be dragging my lady down there.
    Walt likes this.
  3. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (155) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

Can definitely count me in.
  4. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Damn, I might have to think about taking a trip to Round Rock for this. The only other event that I know of that was anyway similar was Anvils cask takeover a few years ago. Though this is on another level completely.
  5. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Looking forward to this.
  6. Walt

At midnight tonight, tickets go up an extra $5 so buy your tickets! We sold a bunch today!
  7. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I've had tickets since the original announcement. I never imagined it'd be as big as this though. Is there a limit on number of tickets to control some of the chaos or is this a "sell as many as we can" deal?
  8. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong, Walt, but I seem to remember that 600 was the limit.
  9. Walt

It will be well under control. I've been to somewhere around 100 different fests, a lot of them shit shows. So I wouldn't put a fest together that as a beer geek I wouldn't want to go to. That's my philosophy with just about everything I do at Flix or HomeField.

I would not dedicate a whole fest to firkins if I was greedy or dumb. We are going to have probably a handful north of 30 firkins at the event and around 600 people. If we sell enough tickets, we will do it again next year with more breweries, beer, space, and attendees.

So rest easy and get ready to drink up! :)
    Cablejelly, bentwookie and champ103 like this.
  10. Walt

We are going to start leaking some of the beers that we will have.

The first leak: Twisted X Senor Viejo with Mexican vanilla bean!
    TapThat likes this.
  11. champ103

Please tell me you guys will have regular casks/firkins. I am so tiered of chile peppers, vanilla beans, poop coffee, pseudo randalls, or anything else in that vain. I don't know if it is even possible, but I would love a traditional CAMRA style cask/firkin beer fest. Though I pretty much know I am alone in that request.
    omnigrits and Show like this.
  12. Cablejelly

I wouldn't say you're alone but I'd prefer it was all specialty or at least 80% specialty. I think a CAMRA style fest would be great for an all day event, 8-12 oz pours, and maybe in a park or something. For this, I like small samples of unique and experimental firkins. Hell, I'd even prefer 30 1oz samples to 8 3oz samples for a couple of dollars more.
    champ103 likes this.
  13. obrike

obrike Savant (415) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Just wanted to say that your avatar just won the internet.
    Cablejelly likes this.
  14. champ103

Ya, I understand that, and on some level I agree. Though, I think there is a true art to well crafted cask ales. I for one am just tiered of breweries using casks/firkins as an excuse to dump every spice, fruit, and hop in. These types of beers shine best when they are simple and not over the top, just for over the top sake.
    Show and Cablejelly like this.
  15. Cablejelly

Agreed. I enjoy well thought out experimental brews or the occasional combination (complementary or opposing) of spices or fruits but simple, often subtle flavorings, added to the boil or even afterward produce some of the best results. There's a point where they become overwhelming and overpower the beer.
    champ103 likes this.
  16. Walt

There will be a handful of more traditional casks, but most of them will be variations and one-offs I think. I know about 10 of the beers for sure right now and that's the case.

I also did ask for some unique one offs because I think it adds value to the event. I wish everyone that came was as huge a beer geek as me, but we are totally in the minority...everywhere. So of I had a huge percentage of 2.5-4% much more sensitive beers, odds are I would t be able to sell as many tickets.

Not to mention that there is no way a brewery is goi got fire up their pilot system to make one firkin of a beer just for little old me.

I would love to expand the fest next year once we get this one "learned", but let me get this one done.
    champ103 likes this.
  17. JonathanL7890

JonathanL7890 Savant (325) Texas Dec 1, 2007

Please try and get some kellerbier. E.g. Live oak kellerpils but I'd settle for a pearl snap kb
    thickerfreakness likes this.
  18. Walt

At the moment, I suppose I will Endeavor to give you another firkin hint.

Call me a Saint.
    Ford and bentwookie like this.
  19. Walt

How about this:
    (512) Cabernet Barrel Aged Trippel
    Ford, r0nburgundy69, BgThang and 3 others like this.
  20. Cablejelly

Walt, I am disappoint. More than a week with no teaser update? :p
  21. Walt

Sorry!

How does DR13 sound?
    Ford and champ103 like this.
  22. Cablejelly

Sounds like a start... :)
  23. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I had casked Endeavour recently.... and it was great.
    champ103 likes this.
  24. Walt

JK Viking Metal!
    Cablejelly, cam_williams and TapThat like this.
  25. Walt

Here's our own beloved Justin, telling you to come:
    obrike likes this.
  26. morsetx

morsetx Aficionado (195) Texas Mar 10, 2013

Bump, just got my ticket. Looks awesome!
    Walt likes this.
  27. bentwookie

Any other beers to announce? Looking forward to this.
  28. Walt

We will be premiering a sour beer, called Sauvage!

Sauvage is a wheat based wort which we placed in one of the barrels that previously housed Brambler (our blackberry Flemish sour). We pitched no yeast into the barrel, primary occurred naturally with the bugs that already existed in the barrel. So we can't TECHNICALLY call it spontaneous, but it is planned spontaneity.

Tart, crisp, and dry with a nice horseblankety character for sure!
    Cablejelly, bentwookie and rdooley like this.
  29. bentwookie

Sounds good. Brambler was yummy.
  30. lonestar4lunch

lonestar4lunch Savant (295) Texas Jan 29, 2006

really looking forward to Sunday!
  31. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Walt... when is the last day to buy tickets? I just plain don't know my schedule this weekend what with the wedding and all and need to get my lady on board.
  32. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

this. I may be going but I wont know til fri most likely
  33. morsetx

morsetx Aficionado (195) Texas Mar 10, 2013

Really looking forward to this
  34. Walt

We aren't sold out and have lots available. I know our promo stuff said no tickets day of, but that was in the event that it sells out. So theoretically you could just show up and buy a ticket.
  35. Walt

Anyone hear my brewer on KLBJ today?
  36. obrike

obrike Savant (415) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Figures...I gotta do yardwork at the mother in law house after church tomorrow. Hope the Fest is a huge success!
  37. Walt

It ends at 4pm! Plenty of time for yardwork!
    obrike likes this.
  38. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Well SHIT i never bought a ticket BUT i do have tomorrow off.

if i get up, and can find my way to the car or bike, i might show up.
  39. Walt

I would recommend this.
  40. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

whats the policy with bringing dogs? Didnt see any info

And calling the number I have no option to speak to an actual person