1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First sour...tips and tricks?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by primrose54, Dec 31, 2012.

1. primrose54

primrose54 Savant (290) Ohio Apr 7, 2009

I have been homebrewing now for a few years and I was going to try to make a sour. Anyone out there with a lot of experience and/or a recipe? Thanks.
  2. Bay01 and OldSock like this.
  3. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

My tip is patience. It's possible to do a fairly quick (relatively speaking) Berliner Weiss, but for most sours (using pedio and other sour bugs) expect at least a year from brew day to drinking, maybe a lot more. See this site for lots more info:
    Burgundian Babble Belt
    bbarrows likes this.
  4. Patience and read madfermentationist. End of thread.
  5. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

You must treat patience as a condom: it keeps you from feeling like you need to pull out too soon.
  6. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

What type of sour?

Yes, read Oldstock's blog. I've had the pleasure to try some of his beers. I honestly thought that HB'ers couldn't do sours well, I'm happy to report that they can. I took a few to some brewers in Roch, NY and they were really impressed - as was I.

I think that the only advice that I have is to be spot on with not introducing oxygen during transfers or at any point when it's not warranted. My guess is that the biggest thing that would ruin a beer.

Also don't make starters for bought yeast blends. A starter will throw the ratio of sacc/bugs out of whack.
    harrymel likes this.
  7. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

These are both really excellent suggestions.
  8. Bay01 likes this.