1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First taste of Rodenbach. It's past best by date. Is it bad?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by lookrider, Dec 29, 2012.

1. lookrider

lookrider Savant (415) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Hi all. I've been wanting to try a Flanders Red and tonight I just picked up a sixer of Rodenbach. As I was about to pour the first one, I noticed that the Best before date was 10/6/2010 or over 2 years ago! Does this beer age well? I know it's supposed to be a sour but I get a vingar smell and taste. Is that the way they taste or is it too old? Thanks for any advice.

2. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Does it have a good sour taste or a bad sour taste? I've seen people describe a vinegar taste in sour beers before, so it's hard to say. Rodenbach usually isn't too sour smelling though

3. I had a 1960's rodenbach that tasted great, FYI.

It does have a vinegary smell and taste.

4. That is my experience with the beer as well, quite vinegarey. I'm not much of a fan of this one.

5. lookrider

lookrider Savant (415) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Thanks guys. I think I'll suck down another and see how much it grows on me

6. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Advocate (655) Ohio Feb 27, 2007

A lot of traditional flanders reds and oud bruins aren't really sour at all- the sour is pretty much vinegar. Duchesse De Bourgogne is another one like this (at least to my palate). Rodenbach was a vinegary experience for me as well.

7. It's supposed to be sour. That could be vinegar-like to some people. It's fine.