First time Imperial IPA

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mcaulifww, Apr 4, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Virginia

2. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Savant (1,138) May 9, 2004 Missouri

Looks okay, but I wonder why you're using the flaked oats. You're not going to get much out of 4 ounces except perhaps a bit of haze, even in a two gallon batch. If you have a particular reason for it, by all means keep it, but I'm not seeing where it would play a big role here. Otherwise, looks okay to me.

3. premierpro

premierpro Savant (1,060) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

I agree with jokelahoma about the flaked oats. Your beer should drink well either way. I like your choice of hops. Have fun.

4. mcaulifww

thanks guys. you answered two of my questions i didn't even think to ask.

i adapted this from a recipe I found online. The oats were for i think head retention, but I've never used them before. I'm all for leaving them out.

And i'm glad you like the hop choices. I don't have any experience dry hopping. Is 1oz. for a week a good amount? am I adding bitterness at this point or mostly just aroma? are pellets the way to go or whole hops?

Let me know if there are any other tweaks i should make

5. OddNotion

OddNotion Pooh-Bah (1,853) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

No bitterness just from dry hopping, just flavor and aroma. I only use pellets for all my hopping uses just out of a matter of convenience.

6. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,655) Aug 18, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah

If you want better head retention, you'd be better off going with something like CaraPils.

One ounce for a week is a bit on the low side for an Imperial IPA, but it's not out of the ballpark. After all, you can always go for a second round of dry hopping.

You're not adding any bitterness with dry-hopping, as the alpha acids need heat to isomerize and create bitterness. You can use either pellet or whole hops.

7. mcaulifww

So i got rid of the oats and my abv dropped. This dosen't matter to me much. I wanted to try and keep it within the style though.

it dropped from 7.6 to 7.3abv. I did a water adjustment from 2 gallons to 1.9 gallons and the abv jumped to 7.7abv.

I'm sure my actuals will be way different than these estimates anyway, but is there anything I should do to make this fit the style any better. I'd like to avoid getting another unit of malts because i don't want leftovers.

8. jokelahoma

The ABV figures are estimates. A lot depends on the attenuation of the yeast you use, etc. The WYeast 1098 will do fine in that regard, and even if not, I doubt you really will notice the difference between 7.6% and 7.3%. :-)

As others have said on the dry hopping, an ounce for a week is on the low side, but works. You're getting aroma and maybe just a touch of flavor (real or perceived). Pellets or whole work fine. Whole soak up wort, pellets dissolve into particles you have to carefully rack around, so pick your poison there. If you have another ounce, toss those into your dry hops. They do not have to be the same variety. You may not want to dry hop with any extra Cluster, though. Some find that aroma to be catty.

9. mcaulifww

great advice. being that the hop packages come in units of 2oz, would you say it be safe to add the second ounce of Willimette, or potentially go with something other than Cluster for the boil and dry hop the second ounce after?

10. mcaulifww

Thinking of switching out Cluster for Hallertau Tradition. Let me know what you think

11. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,655) Aug 18, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah

Since really only bitterness is imparted after a 60-minute boil, it wouldn't make much sense to use Hallertau instead of Cluster. At that point, you're about doubling the hops that you need and getting nothing in return.

12. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (1,107) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

personally would split the willamette & cascade for the final boil addition & dry hop. Cascade will add a little more citrus-ness to the nose by adding it in the dry hop.
    Fwiw, i'd call this a retro-hopped beer. What you'll get out Willamette & Cascade won't be anything like the current hop monsters brewers are making these days. These were what brewers were using back in 1990s and early 2000s. Now don't get me wrong, you can make great ipas with these hops and was the combo that got me hooked on IPAs as a new brewer back around 2001, just wanted to make sure you understand that.
    That said, i'd say the 1oz would be great for dry hop for a 2g batch, 1/2 oz each.

13. mcaulifww

alright. I'll scrap the Halletau idea. so you think doing .5 oz of cas. and .5 wil. in the end of the boil and the same for dry hopping?

My IBUs are at 100, and being that it's my first ipa, I'm good with that. I think this will be good to experiment with and see what level I can take it to next.

I do think that adding more than 1oz to the dry hop might be a good idea, let me know!

14. jokelahoma

I'm with the other two. Don't waste the Hallertau on a boiling addition. Cluster works fine for boiling, as that way you get minimal flavor or aroma impact from it. Hallertau is known for its aroma properties, so save it for use in that manner. Also as stated, a mix of Willamette and Cascade for a dry hop would work well. And I keep forgetting this is a two gallon batch, so the one ounce will be fine.

15. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (1,107) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

I'll vote, stick with the 1oz...willamette is a great hop, but some hops are not meant to be used in abundance. If you do go over an ounce, i'd stick with the cascade, and leave the willamette @1/2oz. Maybe 1oz cascade, 1/2oz willamette.

16. mcaulifww

I'll do one ounce total for the dry hop. I guess a few of us were talking 2 gallons a few 5 gallons :slight_smile:

another really really dumb question:

I'm an extract brewer. I've done a mini mash with my brews about 2-3 times. I've milled my grain for all of these batches. I'm also going to be doing that here with my Carmel Malt, yes?

I know thats an silly question and I'm 90% sure I know the answer, but I just want to make sure my novice doesn't mess up the batch.

17. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes.

18. premierpro

premierpro Savant (1,060) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

Yes. You want your grain crushed. You don't need to worry about head retention while brewing with extracts. One once for a 2 gallon batch dry hopped is fine. I am in the minority on this site on the use of clusters for flavor and aroma additions. I think some people read a book that the auther did not like them so they never use them. I have used them for bittering,flavor ,aroma and dry hopped. One of my favorite combos is Cascade and Cluster.

19. mcaulifww

ok here is a new rabbit hole. i figure I'd need to mill my grain. usually, I go to the homebrew shop and they do it for me. After I brew I've used a coffee grinder to make the grains into flour for baking. can I use my coffee grinder as a grain mill?

20. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

For a small amount of grain, just put it in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin. You don't really want to 'grind.'

premierpro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.