First time in Belgium (Brussels)

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by xtremeski2001, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Maven (1,480) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Excellent report. This is probably too late to be of any use but if you go to the Cinquantenaire and military museum (I used to live across the street from it), you don't have tons of beery places nearby, but there are a couple passable options for a meal or a drink. On the back side of the military museum, there's a little street with trees down the middle. It's really short, just 50 yards or so before ending at an intersection of 5 small streets. At that intersection is a cheerful little cafe called le St. Martin, which makes some passable grub and has a couple dozen beers, no whales but some Trappists and abbeys. It's nothing special but there's something very cheerful and useful about it -- my old local. But the other choice (and actually my ol' plan B) is better if your feet can manage an extra 100 yards or so. From the big square with the arch in front of the museum, you overlook a triangular garden with fountain in the middle. Just after that is a traffic circle and an intersection of a couple major streets. On the right side, you'll find La Terrasse screened off by a wall of shrubbery. It has good takes on Belgian pub grub and a solid workaday selection of beers, once more with the staple Trappists and a few others of the style, and a classic interior. (Plan C: if you get there and there's some reason it's not open, Carpe Diem across the street isn't terrible for standard food belge.) Enjoy.

amano_h likes this.
  2. xtremeski2001

xtremeski2001 Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2010 Pennsylvania

Thank you - I came across your post too late. Since Nuetnigenough was packed last night, I ended up walking (yes, walking) from Cinquantenaire to Nuetnigenough for lunch - it was great. Good food, service, and beer. I figure all the walking will help me work off the beer and frites! I also found Beer Planet had Westy 12 for $12EUR, which is the cheapest I've come across thus far.

Will try and head out on a weeknight to check out Monk, Booze 'n Blues, Poechenellekelder (also packed last night), and La Villette. Although not mentioned, going to have dinner at Rugbyman 2 this week as well.

amano_h likes this.
  3. ManforallSaisons

This man is a warrior. I hope you didn't walk down rue de la Loi (made that mistake). Check La Villette before going, they're not open every day. If you're staying St. Gery you can hit B&B any ol'. Rio des Belges is great, too.

4. Saind

Saind Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Netherlands

Café la Brocante is a favourite of mine. Great atmosphere and selection

lwhcchh likes this.
  5. xtremeski2001

I think I'm more ignorant than a warrior :-). I did walk down the awful rue de la Loi. Nothing worth looking at along this route, but I must say it was quite direct! Thanks for the input and I will add Rio des Belges and Café la Brocante to the list!

Went to Poechenellekelder earlier today for some midday drinks. I must say I was overwhelmed by their beer menu (similar to being overwhelmed by Delirium's menu). So far I've had most the big names ... Westmalle (Dubbel, Tripel, Westvleteren 12 (haven't had 8), Chimay (Blue, Red, White) Cantillon (Lambic, Krieke, and Gueze), Rochfort (8 & 10), Delirium (Tremens and Nocturnum), and Hey Alternatied (Eerwaarde Pater). Anything else specific I must try before I go?

Kozel likes this.
  6. ManforallSaisons

Typo, sorry -- Roi (as in king) des Belges. Check out some Flemish old browns and reds (bartenders can help with choices), and look for places with Brasserie de la Senne for some of our best modern stuff. Order anything from De Dolle if you see it, for a slightly funkier take on the abbey beer tradition, as you seem to be taking to it. There are so many others adding to the tradition, I can just throw out random names you'll probably see... Malheur, St-Feuillien, Ramée, St Bernardus, Watou, the lists go on and on...

7. tduecen

tduecen Initiate (0) May 6, 2014 Louisiana

Alabecasse around the City center in Belgium is a nice place to have a beer

lwhcchh and Kozel like this.
  8. lwhcchh

lwhcchh Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2010 Oklahoma

I second the recommendations of A La Becasse and La Brocante (off the beaten path and filled with locals).

Kozel and amano_h like this.
  9. Euroglot

Euroglot Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 Belgium
    Trader

If you have time, you should come to Brugge (very nice town btw) and if you will I can drive you to Westvleteren. You can try the beers in 'In de Vrede' and buy them there (6, 8 or 12 depending on what they have in stock).

beerpirates likes this.
  10. xtremeski2001

Thank you for the offer. I suppose I was a little too late on posting here as I went to Brugge on Sunday the 10th of January. Maybe next time!

11. Euroglot

Trader

To bad. Let me know when (if) you'll visit the next time

12. treznor

treznor Pooh-Bah (1,814) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If you do find a hankering for Cantillon and other Gueuzes, Moeder Lambic has a cellar list that must be reviewed. They'll be out of some of them (I swear everywhere keeps Lou Pepe on the list even when its long gone), but they do have some great stuff that Cantillon no longer has, as well as beer from 3F and some of the other gueuzeries that will be harder for you to reach with no car.

In Amsterdam definitely hit In De Wildeman (again, if you're gueuze, ask to see the cellar list. Won't be cheap, but there will be some stuff you won't find elsewhere) and Cafe Gollem (I hit the proeflokaal on Overtoom, no idea how different it is from the others).

ETA: This isn't to say that Moeder Lambic and In De Wildeman are only interesting for their cellar lists as they do have interesting beer on draft. Its just to say that there are options at these two that aren't necessarily easily noticed at first. At In De Wildeman we had to convince them we were looking for the cellar list and not the normal bottle list :slight_smile:

ManforallSaisons likes this.
  13. xtremeski2001

In Amsterdam and the weather is awful, but In De Wildeman delivers. Never thought I'd pay nearly 8 euro for flying dogs double ipa but it was a nice treat after drinking Belgians for two weeks.

ventura78 likes this.
  14. treznor

treznor Pooh-Bah (1,814) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Come on man, start cracking open that sour cellar list they have! :slight_smile: I know the feeling though. I was in Amsterdam/Belgium for a bit over a week last year and even the awesome beer let me wanting some nice juicy US hops after a while.

15. Bierman9

Bierman9 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,669) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have enjoyed In de Wildeman often but have lately found it getting more and more expensive (tourism speaking?). Try Arendsnest for some good Dutch treats..... Though I will still hit Wildeman... Their owner Simon is a good shit.... Prosit!!

16. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Where is this 1 euro waffle? I'll be there this early March and looking for waffles along with chocolate and beer.

17. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I will be in Brussels the first weekend in March for 3 days. I am into IPA's & stouts. And yes I do appreciate Belgian Ales. But I guess the beer scene is totally different in Brussels/Brugge and in Belgium. I really don't know what to expect. While in Brussels I am planning on visiting Cantillon Brewery/tasting room. What am I in for? I really want to experience the lambic style. I want to bring Cantillon bottles back to the US. Do I need to visit Cantillon? Or should I just hit up on the pubs/stores in and around Brussels? I am also thinking of taking the train to Brugge for the day. Not an overnight trip. Any recommendation?

18. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Wisconsin

Cantillon is a must see if you're into beer IMO. You won't see many breweries like it, and the tour includes 2 samples, so you can decide if lambics are your thing or not without having to drop any extra money blind. Pretty much all the Cantillon I saw in bottle shops was also available (and slightly cheaper) at the brewery. 1 Euro waffles are everywhere, especially near grand place, but our favorite waffles were at Maison Dandoy, the location that isn't far from Mannekin Pis.

Really though, it's hard to go wrong in Brussels, wherever you end up.

19. Jow

Jow Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2016 Belgium

In Brussel centre you have a good bar called the Monk. My favorite when I go to Brussels. It is a nice authentic bar, pretty big and not as crowded as other beer bars. Here you can find a nice selection of special typical Belgium beers.

I could recommend Cantillon if you are a beer lover, very nice lambics, fruity and sour combined:wink:.

20. Euroglot

Trader

Must do bars in Brugge: Brugs Beertje, Rose Red, Le Trappiste, Bierboom (also a shop), De Garre. A bit much for one day though :slight_smile:. Beerrestaurant Cambrinus is also worth a reccomendation. Besides that, you can visit the Halve Maan brewery located in the city center (Walplein).

I have to check my schedule but if you like, I can drive you to Westvleteren if you want to visit 'In De Vrede'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.