1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First time in Charleston and Savannah

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by krisleonard, Mar 12, 2012.

1. I'm visiting Charleston and Savannah in two weeks and am looking for suggestions for good craft beer bars, breweries, etc. Are they any local beers that I HAVE to try when I'm down there? I'm from Boston so I'm looking forward to seeing what the South can offer.

2. Also let me know if there are any events/tastings going on. I'll be in Savannah March 25-26 and Charleston from March 26-28.

3. rjknyy

rjknyy Savant (265) Georgia Nov 7, 2009

In Savannah, you really only need to hit The Distillery which is a great craft only bar. In Charleston you have a ton of great options but you are unfortunately going to be there Mon-Wed which is when they are all closed. You can still hit The Charleston Beer Exchange which is pretty much the best bottle shop in the south. Look for anything from COAST, Westbrook and Holy City as they are on tap at most of the local restaurants.

jsanford likes this.
  4. I do have The Distillery on my list. I think I'll hit up the Charleston Beer Exchange and pick up a couple of bombers to bring back home with me.

5. The breweries are closed for tours, not everything.

CFB or Griffon if downtown... I try to avoid Mt. P but Coleman has a nice but limited beer selection and good food... Smokey Oak on James Island has horrendous bbq, but a nice taplist... Downtown and to a lesser extent W. Ashley Mellow Mushrooms are decent (don't bother with the Mt. P one)

6. Holy City Brewing is usually open during Mon-Wed for tours so they aren't all closed. Def. have to hit Closed For Business on King as mentioned. The Tattooed Moose has a pretty good bottle list and really good food, but it more on the expensive side if you ask me.

7. :eek: That's just crazy talk right there....

8. HCB is open Mon-Tue 4pm-6pm, Wed-Fri 4pm-7pm every week.

NotACommunist likes this.
  9. Great, will definitely check out HCB!

10. Sayson

Sayson Savant (300) North Carolina Apr 16, 2005

Was just in Charleston this week. It's a great town to eat in. If you're adventurous, try Two Burrows Larder and/or Butcher & Bee. Two Burrows Larder has a nice beer selection, too.

11. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

I'll be there (charleston) next weekend for a wedding, and from the looks of this thread I should def stop in Charleston beer exchange...Any other stores I need to check out? Also what brands besides Founders, Bells, Dogfish, Sixpoint, Heavy seas, The bruery, Stone, Sierra Nevada, Three floyds, Brooklyn, Avery, Boulder , breckenridge, Arcadia, flying dog, Jolly pumpkin, Great lakes, great divide, left hand....you get the point. Hoping for alesmith, lagunitas, troegs, firestone walker, weyebacher....? Any info is much appreciated, thanks.

12. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (415) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

Try this link...

13. Go to the Charleston Beer Exchanges website. They post what they have in inventory as well as what is on tap for Growlers.

14. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

thanks fellas. that's a hell of a link!

15. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

Ha, I see you are already putting your feature to work!

16. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (415) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

I told you why I wanted that feature, I wasn't kidding :)

17. Tattooed Moose, ftw. Duck fat fries. Mmmmmm. Just don't go at 7, or you won't get a seat. They were just on the Food Network or something, so they're blowing up.

18. Charleston BX, as previously mentioned. Founders no longer distributes in South Carolina, unfortunately.

The Total Wine in West Ashley has a good selection as well. You can always pick up a good amount of Westbrook Brewing stuff. COAST is way less reliable as their brewing capacity is much smaller, but they regularly put out bombers of the HopArt IPA and the 32/50 Kolsch. If you get lucky you can snag some of the Blackbeerd Stout, the Event Horizon Black IPA, or the Boy King DIPA.They seem to be brewed at random.

Closed For Business on King was a regular hangout when I still lived there if you're looking for a tap room. Everything there is draft only. Tattooed Moose has a great bottle selection and some pretty good food. The Mellow Mushroom on King has a great selection as well.

19. Also EVO Pizza is very good a a good beer list, been a few times and liked it every time.

20. 2 birds with 1 stone: Laura Alberts. They have a phenomenal lunch menu pairing beer with food. They have a 6 tap growler station with Coast, Westbrook, & Holy City taps along with vintage stouts, hoppy double ipas and hard to find gems that change tap weekly. They're right next to Westbrook, so it makes the 10 minute trip from D'town Charleston worth it. Check our their tap selection/lunch menus www.lauraalberts.com

21. Founders is Back! Should be back on Charleston shelves in April! Yippee!!

22. That's awesome, they must have switched distributors. They had real issues with Carolina Craft and the way they handled their product.

23. Yes, they are with the (depending on where you live...BevSouth/Pearlstein/Lee/GreenCo/Comer and then Crown/Yahnis- I don't know Florence so well) distributor.

24. Thanks for all the input! My luggage was pretty well full so unfortunately I wasn't able to take anything home from CBX, but I did check out Closed for Business and hit the tasting at Holy City Brewing. Mac was nice enough to stay open for me a little late after I got into a fender bender on my way there!