First Time In NC: What should I look for on the Beer front?

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by soze47, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soze47

soze47 Maven (1,406) May 22, 2010 Massachusetts

I'll be heading down for a wedding at the end of April. I'll only be there for four days, flying into Raleigh (probably sticking around for at least one day and night to see other friends) before driving over to Winston Salem for the wedding.

What are some good bar spots to look for in both cities? Is there any cheap hotel rooms near these spots in either city? How about bottle shops? I'll probably skip brewery tours this time around unless there is one in between Raleigh and WS that I can stop off at along the way.

If I check a bag, are there any breweries to be on the look out for or special releases? I know I'll be looking for Foothills (Sexual Chocolate if it is around) and Duck Rabbit, but would love some other local/regional selections that don't make it up to New England. I like all styles, but lean towards IPAs, Saisons, Sours, and Imperial Stouts.

Thanks in advanced for any help. I don't have a ton of details on where most of our friends group is staying for the actual wedding in WS, so I'd love to suggest a place that might be fun for our crew.

2. jsanford

jsanford Pooh-Bah (1,603) Feb 20, 2010 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Grab anything from Duck-Rabbit, Highland, Pisgah, Foothills, and Olde Hickory!

3. danoeltico

danoeltico Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2011 North Carolina

Go to foothills in WS and get Jade and seeing double and they have great food. Go to Bestway in Greensboro and Sam's in Durham. Those are your big stores. Also City Beverage in WS but they run expensive.

4. thagr81us

thagr81us Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2010 South Carolina

danoeltico basically hit all the 'close' hotspots in the Eastern portion of the state. If you were over here on the Western portion (i.e. Asheville) I could meet up for a brew or two.

Edit: Fixed my post... Geography > me.

5. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina

The end of April may be a little early but it's possible that Duck Rabbit's Rabbid Duck will be out (might be May though).

6. brstls4drmrs

brstls4drmrs Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina

if you're going to stay in Raleigh I recommend the Clarion downtown. Priced relatively well, a good clean hotel and well-located. You may find SexCho on tap in some restaurants but you won't have any luck with a bottle at this point. The release was a month ago. Foothills does have their Hoppyum, Peoples Porter and Torch Pilsner now in bombers. Those should be simple to obtain. As well as Duck Rabbit brews. Hopefully DR Rabid Duck will be out when you're here as mentioned above.

7. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

Is this geography backwards, or am I extremely confused?

Sam's is super awesome. Bring a DD since they have a few good taps, typically. They had Espresso Oak Aged Yeti last week, but I couldn't indulge since 16oz of that leaves me in no shape to drive home.

8. Bluecane

Also, Milltown in Carrboro has a really nice selection. I had Abt 12 and Sexual Chocolate on tap there a couple of weeks ago, and I know they get a ton of Founders stuff. I'd be surprised if KBS is still around then, but you never know.

9. thagr81us

thagr81us Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2010 South Carolina

LOL! I effed that up... Reverse it and you are right. Haha Fixed it due to my own stupidity.

10. Bluecane

I'm not very good with directions, so I never trust myself. Hahaha

11. ewright

ewright Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2007 North Carolina

KBS will be here and gone in a day, if recent history is any indicator. Hopslam doesn't seem to last more than a couple hours, and that shows up several times during the winter. Founders CBS and Better Half were also one-and-done. We have FAR more beer geeks than Founders bottles to go around, particularly in the RDU area (can't vouch for Charlotte, but I know a fair number of Queen City BAs on here).

12. soze47

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm really looking forward to my first trip to NC. We do get Founders up in Mass, so I'll be doing my own beer hunting for those labels up here. However, we do not get Bell's, so I'm pumped that I can get a little Two Hearted and will keep my fingers crossed that someplace may have Hopslam on tap.

Rabid Rabbit sounds great. Hopefully it will be out by the time I get there. If not, I'll be sure to work off the list of NC brewers you all suggested. Thanks again.

13. whiskeytown

whiskeytown Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2010 North Carolina

trust me, Founders special releases are one and done in Charlotte as well. :slight_smile:

14. MrPeabodysBeard

MrPeabodysBeard Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2010 North Carolina

If you want to make a little side trip to get away for a little bit from Winston, you can make the very pretty and quick drive up to see me in the mountains, I can probably fill most of your wants, In fact I'm pretty sure that I can fill your checked bag, Especially in the Bell's and Foothills department, among many others!! Just let me know, I'm always glad to help!

Chris
    Peabody's

jh1976 likes this.
  15. Woodrow

Woodrow Zealot (532) Jun 17, 2007 North Carolina
    Trader

If you do make it to downtown Raleigh come say hi at the Busy Bee. Ask for Woody or Chris and we'll be happy to show you around, trade a bottle, put something aside for you, etc. Let me know!

winbassett likes this.
  16. ewright

ewright Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2007 North Carolina

Oh, I figured as much ... just wasn't going to speak for you guys!

17. jh1976

jh1976 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2010 North Carolina

You should definitely check Chris out. I live over an hour away, and although I don't make it up that way much, he has taken care of me everytime. Peabody's is an awesome store!

18. nas4atu

nas4atu Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 North Carolina

Definitely second the notion to go to Peabody's. Just went up there a few weeks ago for the first time and they treated me like I've been shopping there for years. Extremely helpful and passionate about beer. They carry just about anything you can imagine! Check them out!

19. soze47

Hey All,

Thought I'd bump this in the interest of hearing about anything new that is happening and to clarify me plans. Sounds like I'll be staying in Durham on night 1 (Wednesday, April 25), then moving onto Winston Salem for the next few nights. Can't wait for the trip. I had some Olde Rabbits Foot at a tasting a month ago and was in love. I know I won't be happening on that brew, but my God was that tasty.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

John

20. Beerness

Beerness Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 North Carolina

I'll ...third...the awesomeness of Chris and Peabody's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.