1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First time kegging tomorow!

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by psnydez86, Dec 27, 2012.

1. So I'm gonna keg my New Years APA tomorow sometime so it's ready for a New Year's Eve party. I'm going with 2.5 vols and my beer has been crashing in the fridge at 37-38f for a few days so that's what temp ill carb at. I brew master tells me to force carb with like 11.7 psi at that temp. Would you assume that would take a week to carbonate at that pressure with out rocking the keg at all or should it only take a couple days to carb up?? Any help and advice is appreciated.
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

More like two weeks to fully carbonate with with 'set and forget' carbonation. You'll have pretty good carbonation in a week, but in my experience, it's not finished by then.
  3. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Make sure all your gas lines are leak free! The first time I tried to "set and forget" it was more like "set and get an empty CO2 tank". But I agree with 2 weeks. You can force carb it at a higher PSI if you want to drink it sooner, but I personally prefer the longer duration method.
    kjyost likes this.
  4. Agreed. Keg Lube is your friend :)
    mborden likes this.
  5. So since I only have about 3 days to get my homebrew carbed up should I just give the keg a periodic rock to carb up faster??
  6. I started this conversation in homebrewing forum because I'm kegging my homebrew and not sure why it was moved ??
  7. So if I set my psi to what a carb chart will tell me and give the keg a rock every now and again will my beer carb up in 3 days or will I need a higher psi for a quick ( I know not recommended ) carbonation?
  8. mborden

Yeah, that's weird that it got moved. Definitely a homebrewing question, haha.

But if you're short on time, you can push the PSI up to 30 and rock the keg on your lap, a la this link:
    http://www.winning-homebrew.com/force-carbonate.html

If you leave it at 12 PSI and rock it periodically you will not have fun when you invite everybody over to your party to have flat beer :p

It's hard to get your target volumes with this method, but at least your beer won't be flat.
  9. Thanks for the link!! Ill give the 25-30 psi and rock method and even if I over carbonate I have a couple days to bleed off pressure and lower it back to an appropriate amount.
  10. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

kegging is a home bar topic usually. though you will likely get many more responses in the homebrew forum alot of it will be noise. this forum can be dry, but you are going to get useful information, every time.
    Cheers.
    mborden likes this.
  11. mborden

Good to know!
  12. That is very good to know and I'm glad this has given me a chance to check this forum out as I don't normally. Thank you.
    mborden likes this.