1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

First weekend of March - who's brewing?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by CASK1, Mar 1, 2013.

1. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Thought this thread would be started by now, but didn't see it. I'll be brewing a German Pils on Sunday.
  2. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

10 gallons of RIS tomorrow. My paycheck is gone....
    barfdiggs and psnydez86 like this.
  3. Brewing a recipe similar to Greenbush's Distorter I put together.
  4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

No brewing for me, teaching my wife to transfer, sanitize, prime, and bottle the Bavarian Hefe I taught her to brew on President's Day. She knows how to bottle once it is primed and such, so this will be more of the getting it from carboy to bucket side. Should be fun.
  5. Nuggetman and I are brewing up a big Quad with dates.
    nuggetman likes this.
  6. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (330) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

I'm getting the itch to brew something, it's been to long. I'm patiently waiting for the completion of the Averagely Perfect IPA recipe. I have a 10 month old sour I need to check on. If it's close I'm going to rack it on some raspberries. Also need to organize the brew area for when I do have time to brew. I plan on brewing a lot more this year.
  7. No brewing... just firther recipe formulation and getting some kegs into the kegerator for carbing. Finally have my pipeline established but cant carbonate fast enough, gotta work out a system for this.
  8. Brewing up the NB Surly Furious clone (with some subs for hops I can't get out of my freezer) as part of an all day "learn to brew AG" lesson being given at the house of the 2012 Canadian Homebrewer of the Year. I am more of a sideshow :)
  9. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Brewing an Ipa with Mosaic, Apollo and Chinook
    jmich24 likes this.
  10. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

Every weekend I brew.. I'm a noob so I'm highly addicted to learning this craft..
    I thought I was a student of Skiing, and now that I'm 40, I'm a student of craft beers..
    Brewing a Dogfish Head 60 clone
  11. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Busy, busy... Pulling second set of dry hops (2:2:1 Galaxy, Simcoe, Rakau) from an Imperial Red w/ Rye (10 Gal) and then fining, kegging and adding the 3rd dry hop (1.5 oz Mosiac, 1.5 oz Simcoe). Pulling dry hops from Black IPA with mystery hops and then fining, kegging and adding the 2nd dry hop (1.5 oz Mosiac). Also kegging Imperial Milk Stout with Chai Spices. Bottling 2.5 gallons of Imperial Milk stout and then taking the other 2.5 gallons and racking onto PB2 to make a Peanut Butter and Chocolate Stout (Nibs tincture already prepared and filtered).

Potentially dumping a Mild that went bad (ECY Mild strain smelt lactic to me when I opened vial before making a starter, and surprise, I now have a nice lacto pellicle in the better bottle; WY1968 1/2 of batch no infection). Might throw some Brett in to make some kind of weirdo session sour, or I might just toss it (Ideas?). Bummer because it tasted very interesting before Lacto took hold.

Bottling 15.5 gallons of Flanders that I didn't get to a couple weeks back because brew partner (for this batch) forgot. Regardless of whether they show, I'm bottling.

Brewing 30 gallons of IPA (Zythos, HBC342, Galaxy, Simcoe, Mosiac) and Weizen (Double Decocted, 60% Wheat, 10% Munich, 20% Pils) for a friends wedding (15 gallons each), last batch before shutting it down. All this while doing Biacore experiments at 6 AM on Sat and Sun. This weekend is going to kill me.
    MMAJYK likes this.
  12. No brewing, but i did place an order today for about 800 lbs of grain. Thats for 3 different brewers. It should last until july or so. :)
    Naugled and barfdiggs like this.
  13. Brewed a Citra-hopped saison yesterday, and tomorrow I'll be kegging a witbier and brewing a pale ale with Citra and Willamette.
  14. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Kegs are empty, and we are getting close to spring seasonals...but one last dark beer tomorrow. Centennial ABA. My last ABA/Black IPA was very good, but I am trying to find the right roast level which fell just a bit short last time. I don't want too much (which I think most commercial brews have), but it also needs to be detectable.
  15. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Getting all the ducks in a row for brewing a Export India Porter mid-week.
  16. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Its a hard balancing act. Been playing with this too as my first ABA was too roasty (Dark grains in with rest of grist at mash in). Last batch tried adding dark grains (Midnight Wheat) at mash out/recirculation, however it took forever (20 min extra) to get a color contribution (Was brown, needed to add more, double what you'd add if just adding at start of mash), then added a touch of sinamar at kegging to get it to black. Beer has very subtle roast and is super black.
  17. Bjohnston

Bjohnston Aficionado (145) Kentucky Dec 24, 2011

Brewing 2 all-grain Brett beers today. First will be a black farmhouse IPA with Brett Drie, and the other more of a Saison with a blend of several Brett strains.
    CASK1 likes this.
  18. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I used 7 oz Midnight Wheat, cold steeped overnight, boiled, chilled, added to fermenter for CDA. Worked great, subtle roast, black.
  19. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

My only other attempt at this style had 8 oz. carafa III special, and it was very close but not quite. Today I have 8 oz. midnight wheat and 2 oz. roasted barley. We'll see.
  20. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

Working on the cold side of the brewery this weekend, kegging, bottling, cleaning, prepping bottles for competition, visiting a club member doing his first all grain, and sampling.

hijack: Planning a trip to Myrtle beach, any one know of any good breweries/brewpubs in that area?
  21. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (270) Iowa May 15, 2011

Getting ready to mash in ! Brewing up an all grain Belgian Tripel with Coriander and bitter Orange peel.
  22. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

quick question Ejayz... when do you add the Orange peel ? last 10 minutes of boil ?
    I bought some bitter Orange Peel for an IPA i'm brewing... I've got mixed reviews on when to add... Boil, Primary or Secondary... i'm sure it depends on the beer... I also have a Raspberry Wheat thats in the Primary and i thought about dropping about 1/4 oz of orange peel in it ?
  23. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

Probably won't get a brew in this weekend, but dry-hopping the 14 day addition of my PtE clone-esque IIPA.

As soon as I can I'll be bottling Bravo/Munich SMaSH and brewing Bleach Blonde Ale, take 4. This will eventually become (a) house beer. Three editions so far, all were quite tasty. This time I'm trying NW ale yeast 1332. Was thinking of trying the serebrianka hops I have in the freezer, but might just go with cascade/willamette like is currently planned.
  24. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Hopefully it has gotten better since I was there. Brewpubs and breweries were non existent. It has been a couple years though. I have read on the regional threads that one of the Piggly Wiggly's has the best beer selection and growler fill station in the area for beer to go. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17559.
    Naugled likes this.
  25. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

I'm brewing an all-simcoe IPA
  26. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (270) Iowa May 15, 2011

I put int in a bag and added it for the last five minutes. I did another brew with Orange zest last week and it went in at flame out. So it you want taste go 5 minutes but for aroma go at flame out.
  27. Just helped a friend get his first batch going, and I'm brewing a wheat on Tuesday
  28. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Tried my first batch not from a kit. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. So far, so good.
  29. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

I brewed an all grain Irish Blonde Ale from Norther Brewer - Brew day vid can be found here:

30. JUNCK

JUNCK Aficionado (135) Washington Jan 7, 2011

31. Doing both my first yeast starter and my first partial mash. Surly Bender NB Kit.
  32. made my wheat, lautering took a long time; the last quart was stuck in the mash tun because the grain bed had settled. I got a taste of my CC and it looks to be better than the last one. cleaned up the mess my brown made. Now I've got to go put my equipment away.
  33. Brewed up my first batch in 15 years (small test batch: an extract w/ specialty grains Dunkelweizen) last Friday night. It's in the fermenter - I'm going to bottle it in a week and a half, but the anticipation is killing me. Next up is a pilot batch Imperial IPA (Raging Bitch clone - target OG is 1.086) for a bigger 5-gallon batch planned for a special event in July. I'm hoping the test is promising - it's won't be cheap if it fails.

The bigger batch will stretch me - I'll need to do a one or two-step starter to get the right pitching rate, which will be new to me. Learning new tricks is never bad!
  34. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Ended up brewing a Belgian Pale Ale instead.
  35. New South was great for the tour. The guide was very informative, took us right into the thick of things, and really knew his stuff. You can find their wit around town at a few places, which is okay. Other than that, as far as "drinking" selection goes, there's not much in the way of beer. I think I stuck mostly to Yuengling and the like.

http://www.newsouthbrewing.com/
  36. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I'll be doing a Kern River Citra DIPA clone this weekend. Well... I took their grain bill, and swapped the 2 row to Pearl malt like whats used in Heady.

I have a huge, huge starter of Conan, the yeast used in Heady to use in this beer. I have a bunch of Amarillo and Citra burning a hole in my freezer, so I figure it's worth a shot at it. I've got a DIPA going to kick soon enough, and figure this will fit the bill.

Will start working on my "big" beer recipes to brew to have ready for next winter.. Thinking a BBA Scotch Ale, and a Wheatwine maybe.