1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Five-Course Dinner Pairing Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by hopburster, Feb 5, 2013.

1. My wife and I are going to a Valentine's Day dinner at a local place. The menu includes wine, but I know the owner and he told me I could bring beer and he would cork it since I don't care for wine too much.

Looking for suggestions for pairings for the following menu:

First Course:
    Pan-seared scallops with beet puree

Second Course:
    Mixed Green Salad with Candied Pecans, Orange Supremes, and CIlantro Vinaigrette

Third Course:
    Cider braised pork bell with Micro Greens

Fourth Course:
    Beef Wellington with Duchesse Potatoes

Fifth Course:
    Dark Chocolate Lava Cake

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.

Cheers
    --GL

2. 1)I'd go with a wit or Saison that's got some tartness.
    2) cilantro is tough for me. Maybe a pale ale that has a citrusy profile. Maybe a buttery sour like temptation or Figaro, but I worry how that'd work with the dressing
    3) Lots of possibilities. I'd probably go with a Bigfoot, but I think an ESB, Scotch Ale, or Flanders would go well with the course.
    4) You could refil with another Bigfoot or scotch ale. A straight forward porter might also work well with the Wellington and nutmeg in the potatoes
    5) Your favorite imperial stout, barrel aged or not. IMO, noting is more satisfying than a BCBS and a lava cake.

4. Some beers that you should be able to get

1.) Saison Dupont
    2.) Brooklyn Lager
    3.) Arrogant Bastard
    4.) Founder Porter
    5.) Sixpoint 3 Beans, GD Espresso Yeti, Lagunitas Capucino Stout, etc. (something with coffee!)

5. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

The only ones I have opinions on I'm mostly seconding Todd:

1) A friend paired Dupont's Avril with a beat salad and that was great. It's nice too because Avril is low-ABV.

5) Go with a framboise. I actually rather dislike pairing chocolate desserts with BA stouts, the flavors are just the same and not in interesting ways. Rather than enhancing or playing off of each other they just make the other taste dull. A nice fruit beer is a good way to get an interesting pairing.

The rest I'm pretty ambivalent on. I think you can pair lots of things really well with meat. Hell, I had a BT variant paired with pork sliders and it worked pretty well, who'd see that coming?

6. Wow, thanks for the great suggestions guys...really appreciate your input!

7. Firstly, I would personally switch the first and second courses. Just for the sake of palate impact, but here they are in your order.

1.Theakston's Old Peculiar: you would be amazed at how the deep brown sear on the scallop works with the juicy dark malts of this beer, and it's not so rich to over-power the seafood.The earthiness of the beets find a partner with the whole old-world ale rusticity.

2. Bell's Oarsman, Berliner Weisse, of Hop Ruiter (in a champagne glass): Crisp, refreshing, acidity with acidity works really well. The Hop Ruiter's noble (herbal) hop bitterness will make the greens pop.

3. Castelain Biere de Garde, or Ommegang Rare Vos: Toasty malts and fine grain carbonation will compliment the pork and cut the richness of the dish. Here you can choose to go with spicy/fruity estery notes from the Ommegang or you can opt for a more subdued and elegant Biere de Garde.

4. I like the idea of porter. Nothing too chocolatey or dessert-like though. Smuttynose Robust Porter would be nice. Something dark and farmhouse-inspired is cool too, Stillwater Folklore (a touch smokey and savory) would be nice.

5. Although the chocolate and stout thing is almost foolproof, I like the fruit beer idea. Kasteel Rouge comes to mind.