Five Seasons Brewpub

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by robL, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robL

robL Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 California

I'm visiting my sister at the end of the month. She lives near Alpharetta and as far as I can tell via the interwebs and my own research, there aren't a whole lot of options for breweries and brewpubs that far north of Atlanta.

Although I'd like to hit up Sweetwater Brewing, I feel bad asking her to drive all the way down there one night if there are better or equal options closer to her.

So, my question is for people of the area, what are your thoughts on Five Seasons? They seem to get good reviews, but is it a place we could spend a few hours at one night? Do they sell their own beers to-go? Is there anything particularly of note that I should look out for?

Or are we better sticking with my original thought of trekking down to Sweetwater?

Thanks everyone.

2. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

Though I haven't been to 5 Seasons in a while, in my opinion, they are certainly worth a visit. And I have spent a few hours there, before.

By Georgia law, they cannot sell anything to go. But Blind Murphy Growler Shop is not terribly far from there. An internet search will probably turn up some more growler shops in the area. And Total Wine in Alpharetta sells single bottles, if you wish to pick up some samples without making the journey to Atlanta.

There are also Taco Mac restaurants in the area or Summits Wayside Tavern is a few miles north off of Ga. 400.

3. shuajw

shuajw Pundit (830) Aug 12, 2007 Georgia
    Trader

Regarding Sweetwater, be aware that, with Georgia laws, they basically offer a tour with samples, they're open for 2 hours and they're not open every day. It's not a brewpub and they don't offer food. It's still a good time, I think it's around $10 you get a glass and 6 half-glass samples

4. robL

Great things to note. I had no idea about Georgia laws restricting beer sales at breweries. Part of the reason I wanted to visit somewhere was to bring home a growler/bottles of a local brewery that I couldn't get here in CA.

Who knew that GA laws on beer sales were as strict, if not more so, than CA laws!

5. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

Well, we have the growler shops and Total Wine has bottles of Sweetwater/Terrapin/Red Brick/Jailhouse.

It seems that most states have one sort of legal oddity or another regarding beer.

6. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

Here's the deal..

Another out of towner was asking, and while it's on the same subject.

If you want to make a night of it, and have beer to take home, try this.

5 Seasons is worth it. Really good food, decent place, and the beer is real good as well. Haven't had a bad beer there.

So if you want to visit Sweetwater, head into town. Visit SW and get a couple of tasters, and all that crap. Can't bring anything back from there.

Head down the street, and there's a 5 Seasons Westside. I like the brewer there, pretty damn good stuff he's got flowing out. PVW 23 year Scotch Ale in the cellar is damnnnnnnn good. Can't take any of that home, but drink away!

Head next door after feeding your gut, and there's a HopCity. Fun place to look around, prices aren't bad, and selection is good. The rare stuff is picked over and saved for the favorite customers, but they have a ton of beer, 60 taps for growler fills, and the whole nine yards. They sell wine and homebrew stuff too.

So, in that evening trip, you've visited a local brewery, ate at a nice brewpub, and went to pretty much of the bigger players in the ATL craft scene, and took something home by the end of it. :wink:

bradcochran1234 likes this.
  7. bradcochran1234

bradcochran1234 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 Georgia

Exactly.

8. robL

Good plan! I may modify it somewhat as my main concern was more in wanting to experience the local beer scene while not making my sister have to drive me all over. I think we're going to try the 5 Seasons North in Alpharetta and then hit up Blind Murphy's Growler shop for some take home goodies. I'm going to contact the brewmaster at 5 Seasons this week just to introduce myself and ask if there is anything particularly special I should ask for when we visit.

Really appreciate the input from everyone!

9. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Pundit (995) Sep 15, 2007 Georgia

While I have heard good things about Blind Murphy, if you are wanting to hit a good beer store near Alpharetta, you should take the short trip to Roswell and go to Ale Yeah location there (Do not get confused with the Decatur location). It is only a couple miles off of 400 at exit 7. I live about a mile from 5 Seasons North, and since it sounds like that is the area you will be in, I can tell you it is not a long trip at all to head down to Ale Yeah.

10. robL

Do they do growler fills at Ale Yeah? Sounds like a good plan. My sister actually lives in Cumming, so hopefully she knows these areas fairly well.

11. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Pundit (995) Sep 15, 2007 Georgia

Yes.

http://www.aleyeahbeer.com/growlers-on-tap/

If she is in Cumming, Jax is a pretty decent bottle shop as well. I would still suggest Ale Yeah in terms of quality of selection and they have growlers where Jax does not. There is a lot of dusty bottles at Jax. There is a growler store in Cumming called the Crafty Draught that also has a small selection of bottles. I am not a big fan of their filling procedures though. If you are planning on sending any growlers back to California I would not buy them anywhere in the burbs except Ale Yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.