1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flagship IPA

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by JimKal, Apr 11, 2012.

1. JimKal

JimKal Savant (300) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

Carolina Brewery has begun distributing their Flagship IPA in the Triad area and in cans. I picked some up the other day and it is a decent IPA. Here on BA we are encouraged to "drink local" so it seems like supporting these guys rather than someone 3000 miles away is something to consider. It is even better if we make the choice to recycle all those cans. Hopefully, one day soon they will find a new liner other than BPA for cans (all cans are lined with it, not just those from Carolina Brewery).
  2. Their Sky Blue Golden Ale is a wonderfully crafted Kolsh! If you see some pick it up for the warmer months ahead...you will be glad you did!
    JimKal likes this.
  3. I agree about BPA, I try and avoid cans.
  4. I recommend just grabbing cans from Triangle Brewing. Both Carolina and Triangle are canned by Triangle in the Triangle building.

Triangle just started canning their IPA like maybe 3 weeks ago. It should have started to filter into the distribution network.
  5. JimKal

JimKal Savant (300) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

Thanks. It is good to know, but what do you think of their beer?
  6. Carolina? I like their stuff. Their flagship is the only year round I order. The oktoberfest is good, as well as Santa's Secret Winter Ale, and Jumpin Bean Coffee Stout is really good. My favorite of theirs is Bullpen Pale Ale. Its on all summer and at Durham Bulls' Stadium. If youre around, ill join you!

The Oatmeal Porter isnt bad either. That was my last growler from them.
  7. Agree with this. It's going to be a great beach beer. Their IPA is a little maltier than I prefer but isn't too shabby. Met their brewmaster a few weeks ago when they were doing launch parties down in Charleston and is a super nice guy who says they have a lot of things coming down the pipeline.