1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Flaked Rye in an IPA?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GreenKrusty101, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Never used flaked rye in an IPA before (or C-150 for that matter)...would you use it?
    Never used Aramis or Zythos hops before either
    Never used BRY-97...should be a fun experiment

20# Pale Ale Malt
    3# Malted Rye
    2# Flaked Rye
    1# C-15
    1# C-150
    1/2 # Rice Hulls
    1 # sugar
    1 oz Summit & 1 oz Chinook FWH
    1 oz Aramis & 1 oz Centennial @ 10 min
    2 oz Zythos blend & .5 oz CTZ @ KO
    2 oz Zythos DH
    1 oz Chinook DH
    1 oz Aramis DH
    1 oz Centennial DH
    .5 oz CTZ DH

10 gal batch...split with BRY-97 and US-05
    Mash @ 150*F
    1.068 OG expected
    ~12.5 SRM
    ~65 IBUs

2. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

I think the flaked rye could be nice, but I'm averse to dark crystal in most IPAs. Depends on what you're going for though.

IMO, might be trying to experiment with too much at once here.

3. Hey, where you been? I just figured 150 and 15 shouldn't be that much different than 1.5 #s of 80 (which is what the recipe in Zymurgy July/Aug 2012 pg. 24 called for (Ruthless clone)

4. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

Just stickin' and movin'.

The blend may get you there. And your SRM looks okay. Perhaps my trepidation is misplaced. If you're looking to truly clone RR, though, that hop bill (while it looks tasty) may not be entirely faithful. But I'm sure you knew that.

5. Yeah, using it (the Ruthless clone) as a reference point, but that's about it. I'm just wondering what the flaked rye is going to bring even though I've used it in other styles before.

6. yinzer

yinzer Savant (395) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Might be a good time to do the 100 grain test.

Just curious. Did you get the c150 at RebelBrewers? They seem to go out on a limb and get stuff that might not move.

7. The C150 will give you more of the dark fruit flavors/unit mass. Those are flavors that don't go well with the citrus flavors in the hops you have (do raisin, plum, prune flavor go with grapefruit and other citrus?).

mnstorm99 likes this.
  8. I've use special B (180) before with lower # crystal with good results...I'm thinking the C-15 will keep the plum/prune from dominating...we'll see

The 150 only represents ~4% of grist

9. No, it wasn't Rebel, but some one else trying to get rid of it at a song : )

10. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I've had a few desserts where raisin and orange went together pretty well... not sure about a beer.

11. Thanks all...gonna cut the C-150 down to 1/2# and add 1/4# Midnight Wheat to up the color.

12. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I like that idea.

13. 1whiskey

1whiskey Savant (255) Oregon May 23, 2005

Not a fan of Stone Levitation?

14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I'd suggest lookin up info on the BRY-97.

I've used it a couple times and while I like it, it does have it's different way to act, versus US05.

It's a bit slow to start, lag time will end up being like 12-36 hours in some cases. Normally, I've found 18-24 to be normal for me using it.

I also over pitch it a bit according to Mr. Malty, so it's not that I'm limiting the numbers there as well. Once it does take off, it's a beast, and it goes pretty quick even at a nice cool temp. The krausen does take a bit of time to drop with this one as well, and does take a bit more time to clear in the primary as well. It'll stay slightly murky just a little longer, but floccs out nice and hard when it's ready. I've gotten slightly more attenuation with this strain, so it helps if you want to get a bit more dry with it.

It's a very clean tasting yeast, neutral to me, more neutral than US05, which can be a bit peachy if you keep it too cool. It does have a slight estery nose to, but again, if you aren't looking you won't find it.

If you cold crash, it'll drop out really well, MUCH better than US05, and clears quicker that way I think. I prefer to let it sit, and crash it in the keg hard, a pull from the keg and it's clear till it's gone.

I would raise your hops up JUST a shade however. The stated notes that it mutes the hops is slightly true. I wouldn't go crazy, but I'd have some additional late additions there, and maybe shoot for 5% more flavor additions.

15. That one is OK, if you use a light hand it can be fine.

Where do you think all the talk about no using crystal malt in IPAs has a basis? Mitch Steele points out that the darker crystal malts are where this often repeated "rule" comes from in his book IPA. Of course he is the head brewer at Stone.

Lower ABV beers do need some body. I make a few bitters each year, and have been playing with Dark and Extra Dark British crystal malts.

16. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

Stone levitation is the most awesome session beer evah. :eek:

But then just about everything from stone is by definition awesome, so that isn't much of a surprise.

I'd like to clone levitation sometime. Hopefully I can brew something that's pretty close.

As for crystal malts in IPAs... interesting thread. I can't say I've brewed an IPA without crystal malt though, at least not so far. Actually, I've used at least a little crystal malt it all the beers I've made so far. I could see skipping the really dark crystal malts though.

17. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

I'm drinking a hoppy amber right now that is 4% each Thomas Faucett 45l, Crisp 77l, and Munton's 150l. Also 3% honey malt. I mashed at 147 and used 8oz of brown sugar and bry-97 as the yeast, and I don't think its cloying at all. Just a nice, rich maltiness to balance out the bitterness and a bit of caramel to offset the intense citrus.

Edit: I think the flaked rye will be nice. Mash low and slow and you shouldn't have any problems with too much body/residual sweetness.