1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flat Tail "O.G." Sour

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by cavemanlawyer, Mar 26, 2012.

1. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (285) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

Holy hell! Has anyone else tried this beer yet? Here is the description from the brewer:

OG (On the Grain, or Original Gangster) 8%abv - (Very Limited) Brewed with only two malts, weyerman pils and white wheat. The Flat Tail twist comes not from
    the ingredients, but the brewing process... 2 day sour mash, starting with the saccharification rest, and allowing it to cool down to 100 degrees, then pitched brett c directly into the mash tun, on the grain bed. After two days of fermenting at incredibly high temps on the grain, the fermenting beer was transferred into an open secondary for an additional two weeks. The result is pretty unbelievable. In blind taste tests at (Flat Tail's) bar, most people thought it was a tropical / grapefruit juice punch. Virtually no alcohol comes through in the nose, and only a bit of doughy sour wort. Huge guava, grapefruit, and pineapple nose. The beer pours MILKY white.

I have to say this is one of the most unique beers I have tried in a while. The brewer description is quite accurate - I got a lot of tropical fruits like guava. A phenomenal offering from Flat Tail. It is on tap now at Bridgetown and is quite limited - if you have the means, I highly recommend you pick on up!

optophobia likes this.
  2. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Heh. We just tapped a keg today as well. My palate wasn't quite ready for the onslaught of grapefruit acidity at 10am, but I'm looking forward to trying a pint in a bit when I get done working. We were debating whether or not to save it for Puckerfest, but Dave suggested that it would probably be best to pour it now since he has no idea what the hell is going to happen to it over the next few months.

Oh, and he's absolutely right about the lack of alcohol. I never would have guessed it was 8% abv.

3. googzoid10

googzoid10 Aficionado (130) Oregon Nov 10, 2008

Bottles or draft only?

4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Draft-only as far as I know.

5. Yeah, the grapefruit acidity was too much for me... it's been my only "didn't like right off" beer from Flat Tail (sure, that sounds negative, but it's actually a resounding compliment to their amazing line-up, both one-offs and year rounds). Their KSB was a great low ABV sour... I hope that one makes a resurgence.