1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Floral Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beardown2489, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Can everyone help me get a list of beers that contain definite floral tastes or scents?

A buddy of mine keeps saying he's picking up floral scents and I believe he is confusing tropical qualities with floral qualities.

Thanks everyone,

Cheers

2. Rose de Gambrinus, it's your grandmother's aftershave in a bigger bottle.

3. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (145) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

Hill Farmstead Susan

4. I hate to state the obvious, but floral smells flowery. Tropical smells fruity. People use these comparisons because most people can recognize them. I also find that floral hops are more delicate than tropical. Tropical hop aromas tend to be pretty in your face (especially grapefruit-heavy ones).

5. When it's fresh I get a rose taste from Great Divide's Samurai Rice Ale (similar to what I've tasted in Sake).

6. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

the first time I poured a Duvel into a tulip, I thought it was very floral ... i'm also very much a beer novice, too, so i might've been off, but man did it smell like a sweet garden

7. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Fresh Two Hearted.

8. Ya, I get that. My buddy is telling me he doesn't like Sucks. I'm fine with that, and am not leading some Sucks Revolution, but I wanted to know why he didn't like it to help me suggest new beers he will enjoy. He then told me he thinks Sucks is too floral.

I've never picked up floral from a beer in Sucks category...

Weird right,

And please, lets keep this from becoming about Sucks. It's about finding this guy (in Nebraska) a true flowery beer so he can discern the differences.

Thanks guy!

Cheers

YogiBeer likes this.
  9. Jleo897

Jleo897 Zealot (80) Connecticut Sep 9, 2012

Flower POWA!

fredmugs likes this.
  10. Yep, beside the citrus and pine there is definitely a floral side to fresh Two Hearted.

11. I think you just answered your own question. Most people claim Sucks to be one of the most tropical fruit-forward beers out there, so I definitely think you're right, OP.

Cheers!

12. MaltyLareau

MaltyLareau Zealot (85) Wisconsin Nov 14, 2009

If you want to try a good sour with floral characters, Cpt Lawrence Hops & Roses is worth seeking out...

13. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Marisol from Goose Island, but its tap only.

14. Two Hearted, drinking one right now and Torpedo as well. Two off the top of my head and very accessible.

15. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Barely any actual helpful responses. Target is in Nebraska. Hill farmstead rec's GTFO.

16. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

quote="atomic, post: 1153818, member: 372841"]Marisol from Goose Island, but its tap only.[/quote]
    Some hops can bring a floral quality, which IPAs/DIPAs will offer in abundance. Also tripels and saisons may have spices like coriander which can also add floral notes. I know distribution is not great in NE, but these are styles I would seek out.

17. Um.. I think all of the responses answered the original request.. Except yours, of course.

ColoradicalBEER, JG-90 and savagepm like this.
  18. Some hops can bring a floral quality, which IPAs/DIPAs will offer in abundance. Also tripels and saisons may have spices like coriander which can also add floral notes. I know distribution is not great in NE, but these are styles I would seek out.[/quote]

Ya for now I told him to go get Hoegarden. That will give him the experience of coriander. Omaha is okay, but none thing special. Beertopia is a cool place and takes orders but I've heard they struggle to get beers from certain states because of some old BS prohibition type laws.

19. Should have mentioned it in OP. I'm a fool haha

YogiBeer likes this.
  20. SN Floral IPA is the worst offender IMHO. Like drinking an IPA thru a Lavender straw... so GROSS!!! Even my piss smelled like DMB after drinking that one.

21. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

Pistil is a dandelion ale Magic Hat has as a seasonal, I imagine that's almost nationwide. It's not very good, but it has a light floral feel. Might be drinkable on a hot day.

22. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Bodhi or two hearted come to mind

alysmith4 likes this.
  23. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

24. savagepm

savagepm Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 12, 2011

25. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Flora Rustica from Upright

DaftCaskBC likes this.
  26. Cantillon Mamouche

27. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Boulevard Tank 7.

I get a bunch of lavendar other floral aromas & tastes from it (not as much fruit, in terms of tastes, like the many reviews of it.)

28. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Cantillion Iris is the most floral beer I've had.

Kind of going off long term memory here but I seem to remember Alesmith IPA being pretty floral when I had it.

29. Hill Farmstead Vera Mae.

I believe this is the correct answer to this thread. Where do I collect my prize?

30. kodt

kodt Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

5 Rabbit Huitzi - tastes like flowers.

31. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (370) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

Grand Teton 2012 Coming Home - was very suprised with the floral aftertaste

32. Firestone Walker Union Jack comes to mind.

YogiBeer likes this.
  33. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (415) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

An english style ESB, Bitter, Pale, or IPA done with fuggles should do it.

Can you get fraoch, that's made with heather, and quite an experience.

34. Ithaca Flower Power for sure.... Very flowery hop aroma and flavor in this one.

Kadonny likes this.
  35. Wolaver's Wildflower Wheat Ale is a classic!

36. IMO Sucks does have quite a bit of floral aroma to it along with tropical/citrus/pine. But people taste/smell differently than others, so....

I haven't experienced grapefruit from Cascade hops in many years, just comes off as floral and generically fruity to me. To me SN Pale Ale is big floral bomb - so much so that I couldn't tell the difference between it and the floral ipa they had in the beer camp series.

37. Southampton Cuvee des Fleurs is all lavender-chamomile, as is Element Brewing's Lavender ESO. HFB Vera Mae is dandelion, but the Fantome Pissenlit tastes scorched instead of its usual dandelion character this year. Saison Cazeau is made with elderflowers (as is the previously-cited Cantillon Mamouche.) I get intense florals from some DIPA's, but they are melded with bitterness, whereas these beers are pure floral, little hops so you get the full effect.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  38. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

That stuff.... is incredibly abysmal.