Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Florida beers?

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Docrock, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Docrock

Docrock Advocate (570) Illinois Jan 21, 2012 Verified

I have a family member driving to Fla from the Midwest next week. I am not familiar with any Deep South beers/brewers. Any advice on must tries/haves?

2. cigar city brewery. If you dig IPA's.. Jai alai is top notch. Seek it out!
  3. RIPT

RIPT Aspirant (45) North Carolina Sep 11, 2012

Cigar City would be the main one. It's in Tampa. I believe swamp head ( I believe it's in Gainsville ). Cigar City would be my advice. Stop there, they are doing a lot of stuff there.
    shamrock1343 likes this.
  4. danfinegan3

danfinegan3 Aficionado (195) Florida May 5, 2010 Verified

there might be some terrapin beers around. wake and bake would be great
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  5. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Champion (985) New Jersey Feb 23, 2012 Verified

Terrapin: Moo-Hoo, So Fresh and So Green
  6. Cigar City is a given. Intuition and Bold City out of Jacksonville make some nice stuff. Outside Florida, Westbrook, Holy City and Coast out of Charleston are all good, and Sweetwater in Atlanta is a reliable go-to.
  7. tgchief

tgchief Savant (315) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

For a great lunch in a true small batch brewery seek out Pegs Catina and Brewery. Dancing Cody IPA and some great Berliner Weiss style beers make it worth the trip to Gulfport. www.pegscantina.com
    WickedSluggy and MagillaGriller like this.
  8. jhartley

jhartley Poobah (1,240) Florida Aug 22, 2010 Verified

Cigar City Jai Alai is what you need to look for, no doubt. A top notch offering.
    BlastBeats likes this.
  9. JadeyBabe

JadeyBabe Initiate (20) Oct 14, 2012

Due South is 5 minutes from where I live, definitely worth having them bring you home some of their brews. The Caramel Cream Ale is one of the most popular. I'd definitely recommend the Roasted Coco Stout and the Category 3, 4, and 5 IPAs.
  10. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (465) Florida Jan 7, 2010 Verified

I second the Cigar City advice, but I would also recommend seeking out anything you can get from Swamp Head. More limited than CC in availability, but worth the effort.
  11. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Pegs if you can find it. As if u need me to reiterate CCB. Funky Buddah. Cheers.
  12. shand

shand Advocate (705) Florida Jul 13, 2010 Verified

Pegs and Funky Buddah do not commercially bottle, and Swamp Head bottles are extremely limited. In terms of beers they'll actually be able to find on the shelf, Cigar City is your main guy. Terrapin is another solid choice, as stated before.
    Docrock and MagillaGriller like this.
  13. MagillaGriller

True. Pegs & funky fall under the "try" rather than have category...I was under the impression the same for swamp but I could be mistaken. Terrapin....Georgia beer and mostly meh IMO.
  14. rholmes

rholmes Aficionado (105) Florida Sep 11, 2012

Cigar City, and if you are anywhere near the area of the brewery stop by Tampa Bay Brewing Company in Ybor. Some really good brews, and this week/weekend they have atleast 1 brew on tap from Swamp Head and Seventh Sun which are both great breweries. I think they only have 1 keg or so from each, so I'm not sure what will be left, but it's worth a shot if you're in the area. Seventh Sun also has a small shop in downtown Dunedin.
  15. shand

shand Advocate (705) Florida Jul 13, 2010 Verified

Just dropped Terrapin because he's in the midwest and probably doesn't get their stuff. I generally like just about everything they do.
    MagillaGriller likes this.
  16. Some one you will see coming up is Greg Rapp , Rapp on tap is the name of his place in Seminole. If your making your way to Tampa to go to see CCB might as well drive 20 more minuets and say hello. I was just there and won the right to buy a bottle of his OUT OF THIS WORLD beer called OMG a 23% dessert beer that is just amazing! Rapp on tap has solid beers of great quality. The Chocolate Milk Stout he had just put on was the best I had ever had. They do Growlers but are not yet in bottle ( I hear its in the future for them) . I also give big ups to Jared Barnes of Darwins in Sarasota Fl 1525 4th ST 34236. A 5 star Peruvian Restaurant that brews their own beer and many different ones at that .
    Jared Barnes is the Brew Master and a great guy and the food is out of this world! His Oak aged RIS Betrayal is top notch. ( Distribution is in their very near future ). Hope tp see you people here in Florida!

kpanter, Docrock and MagillaGriller like this.
  17. MagillaGriller

You, sir, give thoughtful advise.
    JxExM likes this.
  18. cryme

cryme Aficionado (180) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

Intuition has some solid beers in cans. Not sure how far out of Jacksonville they get, though.
  19. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Advocate (530) Texas Nov 21, 2008 Verified

Don't know how long you're going to be there, but Peg's having a Growler day of Rarer D.O.S. on 12.21.12. I was there before Thanksgiving and saw the barrels aging in the dining area (cracks me up). They have a top ten beer ranked on BA and it's a version of this beer.
  20. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (370) Georgia Feb 21, 2012 Verified

7venth Sun makes some great beers, especially their saisons. I know they bottle because I've had some, though I'm not sure how limited their distribution is.
  21. Docrock

Thanks all for the choices. A lot of brews I have never heard of, now it's a question of how much room to bring quantities back:) looks like Tampa area is an important stop.
  22. kpanter

kpanter Savant (265) Florida Nov 25, 2012 Verified

Tampa for sure. Obviously CCB, but 7venth Sun & Peg's are in the area too. CCB is a must stop (as you can tell by the posts). BrewsNTattoos knows his shit, I would take that advice as well. Feel free to shoot me a BM if you are around Orlando. Cheers!
  23. Docrock

I saw that Pegs was in Gulfport, isn't that near CCB?
  24. kpanter

Yessir, across the bay. Not a far drive from CCB
    Docrock likes this.
  25. Docrock

Excellent, thanks for the help!
  26. JarlowMarlow

JarlowMarlow Disciple (70) Florida Jul 10, 2012

Jacksonville: Green Room and Intuition
    Gainesville: Swamphead
    Orlando: Cask & Larder, Red Light Redlight (Taphouse)
    Tampa: CCB, 7venth Sun, Peg's, Rapp, 3 Palms, Dunedin Brewery, Big Storm, St. Somewhere
    Ft. Lauderdale: Funky Buddha (no crusts)
    NW FL: Pensacola Bay

Good Luck!
  27. Cigar City and the Buddha would be a stop for me in FLA
  28. Dlogreen

Dlogreen Initiate (20) Jan 3, 2013

Green Room carries all of these at one point or another....The Funky Buddha Brown was delicious as well as Cigar City Plum Brown...I think it was CCB. Rapidly becoming a craft brew person :)
  29. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,065) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012 Verified

Agreed with all of the above, CCB is a must-visit. Got to drink everything they have on tap and bring home some BA Big Sound.
  30. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Send them to Funky Buddha and live vicariously.
  31. bdz

bdz Zealot (85) Florida Mar 29, 2012 Verified

Funky Buddha and 7venth Sun are both great Florida breweries, a must see!
  32. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Champion (795) North Carolina Feb 16, 2011 Verified

Cigar City:
    Marshal Zhukov
    Humidor IPA
    Jai Alai
    Sugar Plum 12 oz bottles

Peg's RareR DOS was incredible at worst, but thats long gone:)
  33. scud

scud Savant (370) Indiana Sep 22, 2010 Verified

Speaking of CCB, anyone know when ba Zhukov will be released?
  34. flabeer

flabeer Aficionado (220) Florida May 22, 2007

Not far??? Compared to what?
  35. kpanter

Compared to my 1.5+ hour drive from Orlando. Haven't actually made the drive from CCB to Peg's, but it's only ~20 minutes. Sure, it's not within walking distance, but it's not far either. Cheers!
    HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.