1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flounders Imperial Stout.. Glass bottled dented?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BradtheGreat7, Jan 10, 2013.

1. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Hello all. We finally received Founders Imperial Stout today in my area. When I got the 4 pk home I took then out to store and noticed 2 of the glass bottles had almost like indentions along the crease of where the bottle was put together. I've bought a lot of founders brews in my time and I've never had this. I'm almost afraid to open it afraid the beer will be defected. Any info about this? I know the store I buy from take care of their beer, and I'd feel better if the beer was poured into a bottle already with a dent lol. That would mean the brew hasn't been messed with. But is this on the distributor? Someone please give me some good news and some reassurance.

2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

If the label says Flounders I'm guessing you got a bootleg beer.

3. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (530) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

It had to have been made like that. Theres no way it wouldn't break if that happened after bottling.

4. Either that, or it's the official beer of the Delta Tau Chi fraternity ;) ...

5. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

That'll teach him to buy his beer off a guy with a blanket covered in bootleg CD's and purses....

:p

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  6. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Drink, enjoy, post results.

JxExM likes this.
  7. acurtis

acurtis Champion (865) New Jersey Sep 27, 2010

I just saw some Breakfast stout bottles that are exactly the same. They must have gotten a bad batch of bottles. Almost looks like they were over heated. The bottle I saw was almost square.

8. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (340) Michigan May 30, 2010

I got a backwoods with a very small indent, also on the seam of the bottle, a few years ago. The beer was perfectly fine, my guess is that bottles just occasionally have defects. Nothing to worry about.

9. Sounds fishy to me. :D

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

10. I had the same problem, I just bought a 4 pack with a crease in each bottle, didn't notice until I got home. I had one two nights ago and ever since I've been sick, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with the shape of the bottle though, or even the beer itself, just weird timing.

11. Not necessarily.

12. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Its fine, I've noticed a decent # of Founders bottles that are shaped strangely at the seam- halfway to having a flat side, rather than being perfectly curved like bottles normally are.

13. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Well played. But they don't have an imperial stout.

14. As soon as they figure out how to dent their bottles, they will.

15. I noticed the glass was slightly flat on one side of my Founders Imperial Stout as well. Purchased 4-4 pks today. Oh well, it drinks like a champ. Another great beer from them. Viciousknishs review is spot on.

16. I have had a DFH 60 min and the bottle at the beck looked like a finger poked the bottle while still hot. Beer was fine.

Enjoy

17. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

The Russian Imperial Stout defected. I see what you did there.

18. Had the same thing happen to me with devil dance last summer. Beer tasted fine to me

19. Had a bottle of BrewDog/Mikkeller Devine Rebel 2010 that had the same kind of dents you're talking about and I had never seen it before either. Just drank it a few weeks ago and it was fine. No idea how that could happen.

20. Flounders Imperial Stout.. Glass bottled dented?

Cool , Sounds like an easy one to make a pipe out of .:D

21. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

No picture?

22. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

All these people talking about dented bottles. Can we PLEASE get a picture in here?!

23. I think all the jokes have been covered so I will answer seriously. The imperfection in the bottle happened before it was filled with beer (you can't "bend" cold glass) and as long as the beer is not leaking out, there is nothing to fear. At the very least, you have a collectible bottle. Cheers.

jzeilinger likes this.
  24. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Aw, beat me to it.

jaIsPoAn likes this.
  25. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I don't understand the jabs in comparing deformed shaped bottles to anything bootleg lol. I'm talking about beer, not coach purses. I didn't exactly go in looking for a good deal on a coach purse lol. Anyway... Back to the bottles, I'll try to post a photo tomorrow morning and I'm not sure I can even do that using a mobile inet from an iPhone, but I'll see what I can do. I think this would have been completely different if it were the first time I had this brew, but I've had it many times. I did bust open the worst of the 3 bottles and it was as GREAT as ever! I appreciate all the replies though. Its good to know others have had beers from founders with the same sort of bottle issues and It clearly must be just some bottles that come like that given its not only their imperial stout. So we have that cleared up, why not debate another topic? Is there a better RIS on the market?? I'm not talking about limited, brewed only once stouts.. I'm talking something that comes every single year or available year round. The stone IRS comes to mind, but this Founders IS is ridiculously grand. Ive never had any of the dark lords, but I'm confident enough to throw this Founders Stout up beside anything.

26. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (440) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

I once bought a Rotex watch for $15.

draheim likes this.
  27. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Lots of theirs are. Get over it. It still holds beer. No big deal.

28. In total agreement with paulys55 although the smart@ss side of me wants to say you need to keep that quiet lest some macro marketing beer giant will steal the idea as another new twist to sell their alien secretion passed off as "beer".