1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flower Power > or = to Heady

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MVP09, Jan 12, 2013.

1. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

I know it's blasphemy, but, since it's on the shelves of most bottle shops to enjoy I personally rank it higher! I have had heady twice it's awesome. I can't commit to a beer you can't get without driving for 4hrs. Flower Power has got my vote. Great tasting IPA you can walk in and get fresh in most New England packys!

2. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

3. Think about why so many West Coasters say Pliny > Heady and how many East Coasters say Heady > Pliny.

Geographic/temporal convenience.

Now scale it down a bit.

InVinoVeritas and davey101 like this.
  4. HEADY FA SHO...

5. Heady hands down. How many times has this been brought up?

6. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I like Flower Power better than almost any other IPA.
    But I will marry Heady topper.

7. Wish I could walk into any Packy and find Flower Power

8. Deja vu...wait, this thread actually did happen like at least 2-3 times already.

9. I know right? Flower Power isn't exactly easy to come by. I feel like most places you have few day window to get it...

Horbar likes this.
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Refer to the top 100...

11. MVP09

Flower Power is in at least 3 bottle shops in my area. I have never seen heady unless someone has made a pilgrimage. Good beer should no be hard to get.

12. Is this a real thread...

VonZipper and Stormfield like this.
  13. SFACRKnight

Good beer isn't hard to get. Everyone has good beer on their shelves. However heady topper isn't just "good" beer in most peoples opinions. We're talking about an exceptional, bar raising example of the iipa style.

Just sayin.

14. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Beer ratings should not be based on availability IMO. I love Flower Power, but Heady Topper is a cut above.

uvm2003 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  15. I've had Flower Power once (six pack), and I have never had Heady Topper. I have heard a lot of praise for HT on these boards and elsewhere but I really did not like Flower Power at all. In fact, I disliked Flower Power so much that it turned me off from IPAs for at least a month. Anyway, I can only hope that Heady Topper is nothing like Flower Power...to my tastebuds.

16. So Flower Power is better because of where you chose to live?
    This is one of the most asinine threads ever.

Flower Power is great. It is one of my favorites. It is nowhere near the beer Heady is.

17. MVP09

I live in mass which is New England Vermont is in New England and I can not buy heady in a bottle shop

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Without a doubt Zombie Dust.

Oh wait, I am posting in the wrong VS. thread tonight.

19. beenitty

beenitty Savant (330) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

Marry.Bang.Kill

Marry Heady
    Bang Heady
    Kill Flower Power

20. ready to get your mind blown?... abrasive!

schteve825 and lonewolfcry like this.
  21. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

What the hell is going on here with FP lately??? People need to get a taste of White Rajah and Head Hunter, they both blow Flower Power out of the water and I LOVE Flower Power..

22. Yeah, Flower Power may fall into the overrated category for me

RobertColianni likes this.
  23. JMagee

JMagee Aficionado (180) New York Jan 2, 2013

I love Flower Power...but i will agree with BB1313, Head Hunter is better.

But that being said, Heady all day. If we're looking purely at single IPAs, which Heady is not, I think there are a bunch that could give Flower Power a run for its money.

24. Still has nothing to do with how good a beer is. I guess budweiser is better than heady topper because you can buy it anywhere in the country! :rolleyes:

25. FP vs Heady? Really? Two different styles. Both are awesome, but totally different. This is crazy. They both rock.

26. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

Seriously?
    Flower Power literally turned me o. ff of all IPAs. After a year of avoiding hops I tasted HT and now I am more into IPAs than ever.
    Flower Power = tongue shriveling dry bitterness.
    Heady Topper = refreshing hoppy citrus greatness.
    You must live in Ithaca, something like that.

27. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

An hour north of the Alchemist is the place to be. They bitchslap Ithaca and Alchemist. Just saying. They don't just do one amazing beer. Just 99% of what they brew.

lovindahops and omniscientcause like this.
  28. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Ugh shut up please.

I mean this in a nice way.

29. SFACRKnight

All this talk about heady topper has me thinking that's what I'll be drinking tonight...

30. hill farmstead? bc they rock!

Horbar likes this.
  31. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Maybe FP bottle I had was old or something... but it had nothing on Heady. Not even close.

32. Had both through trades, neither of which are available locally. I get it, availability matters like Sierra Nevada for example, it's everywhere and damn good. However, for me availability is a moot point, as I can't get either and unequivocally HT is better than FP. Bottom line, since few craft beers are nationwide, let's just talk about which is better and the answer is Heady Topper.

Horbar and Eriktheipaman like this.
  33. SFACRKnight

I suppose I should make the argument that guinness>bcbs since I can only buy guiness off the shelf in CO.

34. With deep, well thought out, discussion warranted threads like this, 2013 is off to an amazing start.

35. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

Alpine!...just here crashing this East Coast party 

36. Can't believe this topic came up tonight.
    Had my first Flower Power tonight & the 4th beer of the night I just finished just 1 minute ago was my 5th Heady ever (all in the last week).

The Flower Power was very good - this Heady was very, very much better (the first 4 were - meh - maybe not so fresh).

37. This can't be serious

38. megamass

megamass Savant (350) New Jersey Oct 30, 2008

I would kill a person to get some Heady Topper. On the the other hand Flower Power I pass up all the time instead I pick up union jack, two hearted, and sculpin. Should not even be mentioned together. One nice thing I will say is Flower Power is pretty decent when on Tap for some reason just average in a the bottle.

39. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Never had Heady.
    Yeah I said it!

40. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

I am a fan of Flower Power, but it is a half notch or so below the top IPAs/DIPAS.