1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flower Power > or = to Heady

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MVP09, Jan 12, 2013.

1. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (545) New York Jan 15, 2009

Flower power is a great beer! Best locally made ipa in ny imo. Buuuut...no comparison to heady. Hands down best dipa.

2. lovindahops

lovindahops Advocate (645) New York Mar 26, 2010

Agreed. What is happening at that lil farm house has never been done before. So much variety, so much deliciousness.

Horbar and cfrances33 like this.
  3. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I'm fairly certain this will be the thread to settle the comparative quality issue once and for all.

4. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

You are not alone but you are in good company. If you want Heady, if you just have to try it, you can trade or make the trek to the source. You wouldn't be the first or the last.

5. Gmann

Gmann Advocate (520) New York Aug 13, 2006

Nice avatar, you had me wondering when I posted to this thread. I have no other comments on this thread as I have yet to have Heady but me likes fresh FP.

6. Take the consensus top 10 APA, IPAs or DIPAs...

the one that is easiest to obtain fresh is almost always going to be that BAs #1, blah, blah, blah...

/every APA, IPA & DIPA ever

7. No, flower power is an awesome beer, but no.

8. Would love to try HeadHunter.. Pliny.... and Abrasive....
    Have had Heady it is amazing
    FP is a lot easier to come by
    Has everyone forgotten MBC LUNCH ?
    Holds it own with Heady as far as I can tell !!

9. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

White Rajah will blow so many out of the water! In my opinion, White Rajah >= Zombie Dust. Yea, I said it!

Head Hunter is fantastic!

Flower Power I have had once (from a bottle) and it tasted sooo bland. I'm going to guess that it had been sitting for way too long but I have no interest in trying to find it / try it again.

10. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Definitely hop on it if you can find it fresh. Here in NJ the last time I had FP I saw cases being carried off the truck into the store. About 8 days old, one of the best IPA experiences I've ever had.

11. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

HF Bitch slaps Alchemist? That statement is as ridiculous as this thread.
    Alchemsit makes one thing, they are the best at doing that one thing which happens to be #1 in the world (1% Celia doesn't count).
    HF has amizing. The constant top quality on every release does put other breweries to shame. HF rarely misses but Alchemist Never does... If you are looking for a IPA/IIPA only a moron would drive past Alchemist.

12. inkdemention

inkdemention Savant (250) Nevada Nov 17, 2012

heady all day.

13. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I don't understand why people rate beers higher just because they are more readily available to them.

14. Heady is better than any IPA I've had, Younger included.

While Flower Power is excellent, it isn't quite in the same ballpark. When it is fresh I think it is better than most shelf IPA's. It's my go to after work beer.

15. Heady but a good margin, but Flower Power is still great.

VonZipper likes this.
  16. Mark_Graves

Mark_Graves Disciple (70) Georgia Apr 21, 2012

My brother brought some Flower Power down like 3 years ago, went into my parents basement, and found a leftover bottle. Hoping there is still some carb left in it. The settlement is looking good, no floaters, no hazing. Looks like it could have faired the time well.