1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flower Power Sightings?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Element1290, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Anyone seen any around yet? I know they were having some trouble in the brewery with moves and such, but I was just wondering if there was any news on some in the RI area.
  2. Don't know about RI, but MA has been getting regular shipments since the beginning of November. Been nice getting FP that's just a week or two old on the regular.
  3. A great reason to sign up for Twitter (if you haven't already) - a lot of stores update beer deliveries regularly. Subscribing via Facebook works too.
  4. Saw FP a lot in December thru the Holidays after a long absence. But have been missing it the past few weeks at the shops I frequent. Beer guy at my local says it's scarce again but should be back avail widely soon in the next week or 2. Getting my fill of Lagunitas Sucks in the interim :0) Very comparable IMO.
  5. AdamP

AdamP Savant (370) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

Agreed. I think Sucks is a little sweeter than FP, but they definitely have a similar tropical/citrus hop profile. A side-by-side comparison is the only way to be sure... ;)
  6. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

If you're ever in MA there's a packy on 146 with three cases about three weeks old.
  7. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

North of Douglas? Northbound or Southbound??
  8. I'm seeing it pretty regularly at Leary's in Newburyport. Was there on Wednesday
  9. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Of the packies I frequent regularly, only one carries it, and they've been out of stock for months now.

If you see Flower Power, please tell it that I said hello and that I miss it terribly.
    Element1290 likes this.
  10. If you can't find it, go for the Lagunitas Sucks. Reminds me of a fresh Hill Farmstead, absolutely delicious
  11. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Haha, that is in fact what I've been doing!

Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga' and Flower Power IPA Substitute Ale.
  12. Really? Holy cow. Not that I was going to do it anyway, but you saved me about 8 hours driving. (More like 4, I get as far as Dartmouth about once a year in the springtime, and might have continued North). I like Sucks OK, but really.
  13. What prompted me to question FPs existence is that I had a sixer of Sucks last week and it really is so much like FP. I need me some Flower Power in my life NOW and everyone is sold out of Sucks around me lol
  14. I JUST sold a customer 2 6-packs of Sucks after he asked for Flower Power 2 minutes ago.

It's kind of similar to Edward, but nowhere near Abner/Susan.
  15. Totally fair. I wouldn't say Sucks is a direct replacement for fresh HF, but if you consider the other factors like driving for 7 hours round trip (for me at least); Sucks is a reasonable facsimile. This may be a great time to trot out the ever popular Your Mileage May Vary.
  16. Anyone spot any of this fresh Flower Power in RI or MA (Yankee, Gasbarros?)
  17. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (270) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

i got it last week at wines n more in mansfield.
  18. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Pier Liquors in Narragansett has 6 packs and singles

19. What's the freshness info? Thanks!
  20. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (270) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

dont believe there was a bottling date but they told me they had just got it in the day before so I am assuming pretty fresh.
  21. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

I didn't check but they didnt have it a few days ago and did today.
  22. AdamP

AdamP Savant (370) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

Yeah, Ithaca only dates the cases so you're not mistaken that the bottles are blank. FP usually hits up here every two months, so this should be the latest batch making it's way to New England...
  23. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

I think there's a "Best-by" notch on the label of each bottle, which I believe is 90 days from bottling.
  24. I got the last six pack from one of your sources on Tue. last week - it was hiding between two six packs of red rocket which I didn't see the Sunday before. But as of this Sunday, nothing. Checking again today.
  25. It doesn't make sense why only a couple of random stores would have the fresh shipment of Flower Power while all the major shops don't have any. Anyone with any of the recent bottles, inform us of the "Best By" freshness notch on the label please.
  26. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

Not true. On the label on the neck there is a notch in the month for best buy date.
  27. blckout20

blckout20 Savant (270) Connecticut May 24, 2012

Has anyone seen FP around Hartford? My nearby store has cases of sucks and some Ithaca apricot wheat but no signs of FP.
  28. Wegmans in Northboro has had last 4 times I was in there .
  29. Brand new shipment (2-5) at Redstone right now.
    Ganglani likes this.
  30. Maybe since it's not available on the regular, the major shops forgot about it and stopped buying it altogether? That's the impression I got at some of the stores I used to buy it at after seeing the open space with a shelf tag for a while, then shelf tag removed and replaced with something else and never seen FP there since. I don't mind, more for the mom and pop store I get mine from. Case I got was marked 2/05 and I think the notch is May ? on the bottle.
  31. I have been able to get in a pretty steady supply of flower power the last 5 months or so in watertown ct, dont think ive run out for more than a week or two.
  32. pbrian

pbrian Savant (460) Connecticut Feb 8, 2001

I live in Simsbury and work in Glastonbury and haven't seen it in either surrounding areas, but I was randomly in Branford yesterday and saw (and bought) some at Coastal. The only other place I've seen it, and it was a good month or so ago was Cork in Torrington. So, no, I don't think it's in the Hartord area.
  33. Finally just found some FP at Nikki's in North Providence. Said they have 3 cases in since yesterday (2/27). Picked up 2 sixers and should be plenty left if you jump on it in the next week or so. Cheers!
  34. That's the same case/bottle dating i got too.
  35. What's the freshness notch on those bad boys? Thanks.
  36. Notch indicates best by April. Definitely best by 10 minutes ago imho lol
    Nickfellow007 and AdamP like this.
  37. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Just wanted to props to Ithaca. For the past 6 months, they've done an excellent job of keeping a fresh, steady stream of Flower Power stocked in SE Mass and RI. It has been very nice having FP consistently as my go to IPA. :)
  38. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Picked some up at Sandy's Liquors in Middletown last week and saw some at Crestwood in Coventry. I have a log coming in for my kegerator on Monday, so it's around.
  39. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Yeah I was at Yankee Spirits on Thursday, cases of it.
  40. Pwbres

Pwbres Savant (280) New Hampshire Mar 25, 2013

heading into Boston/Cambridge tomorrow. Not familiar with beer stores in the area. Any recommendations as to where to look? I'm looking to take some home to NH. Cheers!