1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Flying back from Canada to US - Max limit on the amount of beer I can bring back in suitcases?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by greenspointexas, Jul 27, 2013.

1. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Member

Is there a maximum? I called and asked both Canadian and US customs officers, and both have said that there is no maximum amount of beer you can bring back, "as long as you don't look like you are opening your own beer store."

That's what I was told. Is this true? Just planning to bring back 3-4 suitcases full of beer (roughly 40 bottles). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. ericj551

ericj551 Member

I don't think you'll have any problems. Especially if it's a bunch of different stuff, so it's obvious that you're an enthusiast, but even then I don't think there is a limit. The problem I always run into is the 50 pounds per suitcase limit, but if you're splitting up 40 bottles in 3-4 bags you should be fine.
  3. strang

strang Member

The amount you're allowed to bring into the US duty-free is actually pretty small (maybe 1 litre I can't remember exactly) but the duty is so cheap that they'll rarely bother to charge you.

There's probably a maximum amount you can bring in before you're considered an importer, like there is coming to Canada from the US, but you'll still be way under that limit. You should be fine.
  4. andrenaline

andrenaline Member

No limits... Just gotta pay duty on anything over a case. Provinces differ in the duty charges, but Ontario is very reasonable with BC being one of the worst.
  5. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Member

thanks a ton for the help guys! I really appreciate it :)
  6. papat444

papat444 Member

Which part of Canada are you flying from?
  7. hopsolutely

hopsolutely Member

And what are you taking back? Curious, only because Texas has such great beers...
  8. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Member

Flying back from Calgary, taking back some DDC, Westy 12, and a few others we don't get here in the state(s). If anyone wants anything from TX, lemme know and I might be able to organize an IP trade if you are interested.
  9. Was just in Calgary. Filled my entire carry on sized suitcase with beer and it came to 45 pounds. Going back to US I doubt they'd care about beer. Coming into Canada is the problem with taxes...
  10. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Member

What about if I wanted to ship stuff back instead.... is there a limit on how much I can ship? Only looking to send a box or two back of Canadian goodies
  11. Shipping across the border is illegal as far as I know, so your limit is zero ;)
    Having said that, I got a box full of 3Floyds not too long ago...
  12. mtomlins

mtomlins Member

Shipping beer across the border is illegal...but only if you get caught ;) ! It would suck to have your load confiscated. Having said that, people ship across the border all the time with mostly successful stories. A guy in my local homebrew forum says he regularly ships himself brew from Germany. So I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, "Do you feel lucky [edit]?"