Flying Dog Brewery loses lawsuit over Raging Bitch label

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by DrinkingThisBeer, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrinkingThisBeer

DrinkingThisBeer Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2012

Check out this article about Flying Dog's lawsuit against Michigan alcohol regulators ove the "censorship" of its Raging Bitch beer. What do you guys think? Should state regulators be allowed to censor beer labels that they determine are "detrimental to the welfare of the public"? Seems kind of messed up they are immune to lawsuits.

2. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

Being the proud owner of a gentle but extroverted female Black Lab, I am outraged.
    Dogs get no respect.

3. DrinkingThisBeer

Haha, but seriously is "Raging Bitch" really "detrimental to the welfare of the public"??

sburrough likes this.
  4. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Damn I wondered what happened to that beer.
    It was my favorite from them...freaking Michigan for ya.
    No wonder their college football team sucks.

5. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Sucks enough to win a BCS bowl game. Sorry lol.

But didnt Founders run into the same problem in Alabama with Dirty Bastard and Backwoods Bastard? and didnt Founders win that battle? seems like Flying Dog should ask Founders how they did it.

gtermi and franklinn like this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Flying Dog also "won their battle" against Michigan regulators, as noted in the OP linked article: "The state's Liquor Control Commission reversed course in 2011 and let Flying Dog Brewery sell ale called Raging Bitch..."

They sued them anyway, "But the Frederick, Md., brewery still continued to sue commissioners for censorship for keeping the product off shelves until that time" and that's the suit that's been dismissed.

7. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

drinking and reading dont go togther just sayin.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  8. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

FT: Raging Bitch, ISO: Zombie Dust

edit: nm

9. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

If I was Flying Dog I'd try to use this publicity to my advantage. Raging Bitch is a very good beer and spookily coincidently I had their Wildeman Farmhouse IPA just a few hours ago which was also similarily great. IMHO Flying Dg is really finding its form right now.

ditch and cavedave like this.
  10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I agree in fact Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager has become one of my go to beers.

11. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A simply Google search for "Raging Bitch" + "Michigan Liquor" turns up over 6,000 hits - I'd say that they have been using this controversy to their advantage since it began back in 2009. :wink:

What many seem to forget is that the MLCC objection wasn't just to the name but to the anatomically-exaggerated genitalia of the dog in Steadman's label artwork:

"...the name “Raging Bitch” and accompanying label imagery and text by renowned artist Ralph Steadman..."
    as Flying Dog themselves put it.​

beercentrist and victory4me like this.
  12. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2010 California

One of these days people are going to stop acting like they are 13 years old.

Ha ha Raging Bitch, *snicker, snicker* it's a pretty stupid and immature name... though I do enjoy Bitch Creek, so there's that :wink:

13. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Last I checked, beer was supposed to be sold to adults.
    Is this about the fact that little Timmy may walk into the liquor store with Dad and somehow stumble upon Ralph Steadman's painted dog vagina? Yeah, somehow I don't see that happening.

14. DrinkingThisBeer

Completely agree - beer is supposed to be sold to adults - it's not like store are selling beer alongside Captain Crunch. These alcohol regulators are taking PC to a new level.

15. Errto

Errto Zealot (643) Oct 20, 2009 Connecticut

No, though in many states this beer is sold in normal grocery stores. I'm not saying I agree with the state's position - I don't - but the argument really has to be that the name is not actually harmful, not that children couldn't possibly see it, because they could.

16. 3leven

3leven Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2012 Texas

It's the store's buyer's option not to buy that beer to sell in their grocery stores (headache. too many possessives). I think someone got his panties in a wad up yonder. I know one restaurant chain in particular had to change the name of "red headed slut" on the menu to avoid little Jimmy asking Grandma what a "slut" was. Either way...

I sold a helluvalot of 22oz Arrogant Bastards simply for the name. And then there are wine companies with "Bitch" in their brand. What's the big deal?

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  17. RC51Mike

RC51Mike Crusader (493) Dec 17, 2004 Delaware

"panties in a wad up yonder" would be a good name for a beer.

calcnerd, Lantern, JohnB87 and 2 others like this.
  18. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,727) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

I think they did a good solid job with their Atlantic Lager as well...

hmph likes this.
  19. Steeeve

Steeeve Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

I think the issue is that they view the name and label as being misogynistic or something. I think people need to lighten up. Not everything has to be so politically correct. If you're offended, don't buy it.

20. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Ralph Steadman's painted dog vagina?

I must have missed something or I didn't look at the label close enough. I guess it's time for another 6 pk. of the stuff.

hmph likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.