1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flying Dog Supports Washington Redskins Tight End Chris Cooley with Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Frederick, MD – After zero hours of negotiation, hearty handshakes, and minimal amounts of rabble, Flying Dog Brewery has agreed to supply Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley with a case of beer after each game remaining in the 2012 season.

The agreement stemmed from Cooley’s negotiations with the Redskins when he was resigned by the team in late October. Cooley asked that receiving a case of beer after each game be written into his contract, but the team ultimately denied his wish.

“It was heartbreaking to hear that this stellar athlete was denied the opportunity to have a beer at the end of each hard-fought game,” Flying Dog VP of Marketing Ben Savage said. “In the name of Cooley’s wish and in support of athletes in need, we knew we needed to step in.”

For the remaining six games of the regular season, Flying Dog will provide Cooley with a case of Shock and Awe variety packs, which includes Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA, UnderDog Atlantic Lager, Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout, and Snake Dog IPA.

“At the end of the day, we don’t think anyone should be deprived of great beer,” Savage said. “We heard Cooley’s cry for help and we were happy to step in.”

About Flying Dog Brewery:
    “Good Beer, No Shit.” Located in Frederick, MD, Flying Dog is Maryland’s largest brewery. As its tagline proclaims, Flying Dog is committed to producing world-class craft beer and continues to push the envelope with experimental and limited-edition releases. Recent accolades include Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale ranked as the #1 American Pale Ale in the U.S. by The New York Times and Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA named one of the best new beers in 2010 by multiple sources. For more information, please visit http://www.flyingdogbrewery.com

###
    witness likes this.
  2. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

And yet here I am with no $825,000/year contract and no free beer.

DFH, consider this my cry for help.
  3. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Yeah, poor Cooley and his awesome life/lifestyle. Still, pretty cool of Flyind Dog. Now if we can only get them to move back to CO.... The bastards.
  4. H
    HAHAHAHAHA!
  5. Damn, flying dog, your awesomeness knows no bounds.
  6. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Now if only the Redskins didn't suck.
  7. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I knew there was a reason I avoided Flying Dog.
    WassailWilly and harrylee773 like this.
  8. I really can't decide if this is cool or not. I'm always trying to tell my boss to give me a case of beer after every week, and nothing. Jack's Abby?
  9. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

All I ever got was busch light from one boss and had a farmer who'd give ya milwaukee's best light which he bought by the pallet and kept sitting in his machine shed warm. puke.
  10. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

Yea, I can see two sides to this tale.

1. Awesome move, rewarding a good athlete
    2. I can barley afford to pay my bills and the guy earning 800K/yr gets the free beer.
  11. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (275) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

Yea but if they give you 6 cases of free beer nobody gives a shit. They give him 6 cases and it starts a big thread here and will probably be picked up by other news outlets.
  12. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

If any brewer decides to send me 6 free cases of beer; I promise I will:

- Start a thread about it
    - Send out news releases about said event to no less than 30 different news outlets
    Naterobsnyk4 likes this.
  13. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

This is just very, very clever marketing; it's not that serious, guys and gals.
  14. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

"Cooley asked that receiving a case of beer after each game be written into his contract, but the team ultimately denied his wish."

This just shows how fucking lazy this guy is. No wonder they cut his ass.
  15. SupremePie

SupremePie Savant (310) Vermont Sep 30, 2012

Seriously? The man is known for his sense of humor, and was clearly joking during negotiations to resign him. Someone at Flying Dog must have read the initial article that mentioned it, and jumped at the marketing opportunity. Well done.

I wouldn't call struggling to recover from serious ankle and knee injuries while still managing to become the all time franchise leader in receptions at TE lazy.
    Bluecane likes this.
  16. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Not sure if typo or intentional...
    exitmusic00 and x37x like this.
  17. Wow, like he couldn't just buy them.
  18. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Flying Dog is a whore for media attention. They would give their beer to a baby if a newspaper or blog would report it. Their beer is OK, but these silly stunts to grab a headline are tiring.

It reminds me of Brew Dog's media stunts, but at least Brew Dog puts more thought, planning, and promotion into their antics.
  19. smart marketing makes and breaks a business. the amount of attention they will get for this will only cost them cases of beer. sounds smart and from the attitude i get from this brewery is they dont give a fuck.
    rrryanc likes this.
  20. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

Cooooooooollleeyyyyyyyyyyy. Class guy that Cooley is.

Weird to see someone from my hometown-ish area on BA. I didn't think anyone drank anything other than 10oz bud light cans.
  21. Have you been watching them this year? They have an actual shot at a Wildcard spot, and with Cousins coming in and being the one to beat the Ravens, who were probably the hardest team on their remaining schedule, they can maybe win out.

Also, I hate when athletes get free shit. They have all the money they need to purchase said shit, if anyone should be getting free beer it should be us here on BA.