1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

"Flying in the Face of Reason"

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by fmccormi, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmccormi

fmccormi Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 California

So, here's a fun question: take a gander at your list of Wants, and what beer on there is lowest-rated? What is its average score? And what about it makes you want to try it so much, or what do you find so intriguing about (reports of) it?

Before anyone jumps on me, I want to point out that I put the title of this in quotation marks because I fully understand that "reason" ≠ average ratings. We all have individual tastes that do not necessarily reflect the aggregate—and that is exactly why I was curious to hear what you all have to say.

Follow-up question: what brewery is best-represented on your Wants list? Any particular reason? After looking at mine, apparently I have a real yeast-boner for Saint Somewhere.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

My lowest rated want is DFH Fort @ 82 - Good.

To be honest most of the stuff I add to my wants list are beers I hear about that people generally praise. I want to know if they are worthy of the love they get.

Right now Cantillion holds the most wants spots, as I have never tried anything from them.

3. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Love Fort. I think it's better than what the score says. Now I want some.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Well if you find some hook a brotha up!

5. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Wish I could. I'd have to trade for it.

6. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

my 2 lowest rated wants are both from Trinity, Old Growth and Brain of the Turtle. I have had OG before and enjoyed it. I have it on my wants because I would like to try it again, and it is one of my favorite labels (my other one got destroyed when trying to remove it).

The brewer with the most wants is FFF, though none are variant DL, I figure I have no chance in getting those, and don't really want to put in the effort for them.

7. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina

New Glarus Thumbprint Barleywine. Most underrated beer I've had so far.

afrokaze and commis like this.
  8. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Shorts PB & J. I wanted to find a beer for my wife to enjoy. She loves PB&J so was taking a shot. Ive traded for quite a bit of beers for here and shes never liked them. Like dory from nemo says, "Just keep swimming"

Cheers!

9. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

Three Floyd's "Biggs' Stache" or whatever, at 1.86 I think I had it on there to do a side-by-side-by-side type of deal with something else. After that is "Kickin' Chicken BA Barleywine" which is 3.57 and Jurrasian Imp. Stout at 3.59 Both on there because I like the style I guess.....

I don't think any brewery is much more represented than another on my "Wants" but I only have 72 listed, because I have been fortunate enough to get quite a few of them, and I'll put some "perpetual wants" back up once I get some of my new ones.

10. Thehuntmaster

Thehuntmaster Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 South Africa

My lowest rated is Crazy Ed's Cave Creek chili beer. It is on the list because the idea of a super spicy beer intrigues me.
    Next lowest is Triple Bock, because I think I would really like it.

Duff27 likes this.
  11. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

Lowest rated want is also Brain of the Turtle. I love sours and loved the name when I heard about it last fall, so on the list she went. If anyone has one...

Brewery with the most wants is a tie between Deschutes and Russian River at 5 each. If I could buy Abyss and Consecration off the shelf here I'd be set.

12. Holland

Holland Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

13. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Missouri

14. brees6221

brees6221 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 Western Sahara

My lowest rated is Eye Patch Ale by Monday Night Brewing Company @ 3.6. I started following their blog a few years back when they were just friends who brewed every Monday night. Now that they've gone pro I'd like to try their beers.

Surly and Goose Island are tied for most wants.

15. fmccormi

fmccormi Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 California

Well, nice to read your responses, folks. I think there are fifteen Saint Somewhere beers on my Wants list, because basically everything they make sounds like my kind of brew. Behind that is probably Stillwater, because again, almost everything they make sounds fantastic and what I've had so far has definitely lived up to expectations. And of course, my lowest-rated want is Saint Somewhere Anne. What can I say, it all sounds great to me.

16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Big Eddy RIS at 3.87.

17. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Pooh-Bah (1,904) Apr 3, 2006 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale 3.31
    Great Googly Moogly 3.69

Voodoo just to smell it and see how bad it tastes. GGM because I love the name.

18. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Not as bad as you would think...

19. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,796) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Flossmoor Beelzebeer at 3.44... I rated it a 3.5 .... I want it to give to a buddy who is into all things Metal.

Peoples Pint Tap and Die Malt Liquor at 3.54 .... Because I want to blind Malt Liquor tasting damn it.

Half Acre Small Animals Big Machine... I know that we had it, and I remember liking it.

20. Jerriko

Jerriko Crusader (432) Jan 6, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Romulan Ale at 1.64 rAvg. Everything about it seems terrible, but I would love to have it just for the bottle and to see the glorious blue color.

I would also like Mariachi from the same brewery, though that one specifically for the bottle.

As far as what brewery is best represented on my wants list, it's probably Founder's, but I've got a bunch of different breweries on there with none of them having way more beers that I want than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.