1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flying Monkeys BNL Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kjyost, Dec 2, 2012.

1. On shelves in Manitoba now, about $15 after taxes. Also appearing on MB shelves is Fort Garry's latest one-off a winter-spiced porter aged with oak at about $7 a bomber.

2. Lucky guys! Read the reviews and the BNL sounds decadently delicious.

3. It tastes as good as it sounds.

4. It tastes better than it sounds!! Glad I have extra bottles and am within walking distance of the brewery.

5. Come spring, i'm so ISO for this!

6. Manitoba got 800 bottles, so most MB BA's should have a few kicking around the cellar for spring trading I'm guessing.

7. I got a bottle of it myself, I wasn't too sure about it, but now seeing the reviews, I'm glad I ponied up.

8. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Cracked mine open Saturday. Talk about a chocolate bomb! :)
    I highly recommend splitting this with someone as there is almost too much flavor going on. Like eating too much cake. It is possible. :p

9. i guess im the only person that found this brew appalling

10. Let me guess, needs more bacon? ;)

SebD likes this.
  11. I've got 6 bottles up for trade once spring comes so if you're ISO let me know.

12. FEUO

Appalling, as in bad? No. But it is a bit much. I actually drain poured the last 1/2 pint as I fell asleep on the couch and didn't feel like chugging it before heading to bed. :p

13. First off, I am generally a big ol' softie when it comes to rating beer. I tend to rate things between 1% and 10% above the average on this website and I'm generally pretty forgiving when tasting a beer. Having said that, I really didn't like this beer at all. I've shared bottles with people twice and I tried hard to see what others have been seeing in this beer. I've looked at the reviews and its like they're for another beer altogether. I mean, to me it smelled like nesquick and play-doh and just tasted like nesquick and chocolate cake batter. Sickly sweet without anything to complement it. No really nice malts to accent the chocolate and almost no bitterness to balance or cut through that cloying sweetness. It really was like someone just dumped a tonne of chocolate in a beer and didn't try to do anything to make it actually work as a beer. I'm all for a bit of imbalance, but this was really out of whack.

I guess, I just don't get it, but it makes me really quite sad that I don't. It's not that I don't like chocolate in beers either! I do! I had Southern Tier's Choklat shortly after my second BNL tasting and I found that a very enjoyable beer with a bitterness to balance the chocolate. I feel like I'm missing something! What am I not getting about this beer?! Have I gone mad!?

14. I need to get to my bottle of this sooner rather than later. Maybe tonight...

15. Had mine last night and I wasn't all that impressed. The nose was Nestle Quick - nothing but artificial chocolate syrup aroma. The taste was bit better but still one dimensional with plenty of artifical chocolate notes. Not a terrible beer by any stretch. Only got thorugh half of the bottle and I am glad that I only bought 1.

16. funny i believe i mentioned play doh in my review....terrible beer
    how can you brew a massive stout and use no hops...?

17. Yep, I got the nestle quick allright... not much else.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  18. FEUO

I'm trading my 2nd away.

19. I'll give you a shout in in April. Hang on to 2 for me if you can.

20. Definitely Nestle Quik and play doh. While one dimensional, it's not terrible and actually fairly unique. I enjoyed mine, but the bottles are definitely for sharing.

21. Sounds good!

22. I can vaguely see the playdoh, I thought it had a good thickness and viscosity that maybe was playdoh-like. I get hershey syrup all over the nose, but I found it to be a rather nice beer, especially compared to chocolate which I found to be a sugar bomb. This had a nice balance, like a good bar of milk chocolate rather than the shit they try to pass off as chocolate (mainly sugar) in cheap Easter bunnies.

23. Not attacking you or this beer directly per se, but I'm tired of gimmick beers. An imperial stout that is one dimensional should hardly be considered good, I don't care how "unique" it is.

Sure, I love sharing rare/strong beers with others, but when the body and bash you over the head chocolate character makes it hard to get through a sample, that is not a good thing.

I know I'm in the minority, and breweries are just trying to meet market demand/stick out amongst the crowded market, but I just want good beer. Simple is better, less is more.

Noxious26 likes this.