1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flying Monkeys City and Color Imperial Maple Wheat

Discussion in 'Canada' started by korguy123, Jun 8, 2013.

1. CITY AND COLOUR & FLYING MONKEYS COLLABORATE: CITY AND COLOUR IMPERIAL MAPLE WHEAT ALE

(Barrie, ON) — Award-winning singer, songwriter and performer DALLAS GREEN – also known as CITY AND COLOUR – recently visited Barrie to brew in the FLYING MONKEYS music and beer collaboration project, The Treble Clef Series. The release of City and Colour’s fourth album The Hurry and the Harm on June 4 will be followed at the end of the month with the release of a collaborative brew named City and Colour Imperial Maple Wheat.

Peter Chiodo, Flying Monkeys Founder and brewer, is thrilled City and Colour wanted to be part of their collaboration project. “We had a great time coming up with the recipe. Craft beer aficionados and City and Colour fans alike are going to love this beer!” City and Colour and the Flying Monkeys’ brewers hit upon a little-tried, voluptuous beer style for the calm laziness of summer: a sultry, thick, high-alcohol Imperial Maple Wheat Ale brewed with maple syrup and infused with fair-trade, organic Bourbon vanilla pods chiming in at 11.5% ABV.

“We created the beer recipe in spring when the sap was running and local maple syrup farms were rocking. We’d wanted to use these great maple flavours for a while,” said Chiodo. “Dallas Green is a native son of St. Catharine’s, so the maple added the perfect touch of Ontario to this beer.”

This Flying Monkeys’ City and Colour Imperial Maple Wheat will be a Limited Edition, Special Release beer available at the brewery, the LCBO, and distributed through the 49th Parallel Group in Western Canada at the end of June.

Recorded at Nashville, Tennessee’s Blackbird Studios, The Hurry and The Harm is Green’s follow-up to 2011’s Platinum selling Little Hell, which debuted at #1 on Canada’s Top 200 Chart. City and Colour just embarked on an ambitious tour in celebration of release of The Hurry and The Harm. Currently touring throughout Europe, City and Colour will perform festival dates in Canada including headlining dates in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON (June 29) and Vancouver, BC (July 12) followed by an extensive 8-week USA stint this fall. The Hurry and The Harm is now available at retail outlets and on iTunes. For more details on the new album and upcoming City and Colour tour dates, visit www.cityandcolour.com.

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery
    The Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery brews artisanal beers right on the waterfront in downtown Barrie. Leading the craft beer revolution, the Flying Monkeys epitomizes the fun and versatility of craft brewing in Ontario.

###

[​IMG]
  2. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I'm no hipster, but I am a big fan of Dallas and his C&C act.
    Sounds like an awesome brew too. Very cool follow up to the BNL collab.
  3. The price + maple is gonna scare me away, but it seems cool nonetheless.
  4. I Want...
  5. Would also like.
    Hello my Canadian contacts!
  6. I can grab you a bottle.
    sliverX likes this.
  7. Maple-infused wheatwine? I'll bite.
  8. Huge City and Colour fan here... If anyone is able to get 2-3 bottles, please send a BM and lets discuss!
  9. Infused with organic Bourbon vanilla pods.

I went in today to get a bottle and they got pushed back until next week. They were having a problem with the labeller.

Did get to try their new Imperial Pilsner though. Yum!
    sliverX likes this.
  10. Any idea if distro will be to MB? We got BNL, wondering if we'll get some of this one too?
  11. I'm going to be in Ottawa for a couple of months starting June 28. Do you think there'll be any of this left at that time? It sounds delicious!
  12. I think the more relevant question will be, whether this has even surfaced at the LCBO by that date.
    papat444, korguy123 and sliverX like this.
  13. I'm going to assume the same distribution as the BNL.
    I think Matador was 5 weeks getting into the LCBO after release. I wouldn't hold your breath on getting any in Ottawa.
  14. Beer comes out end of June, isn't going to be in Ottawa until end of June and is staying "months". Seems like the math should work on that one. :)
    Unless it has to go through all that fancy testing they do for some reason to keep you guys safe. Then who knows?
  15. Haha okay Tim don't be a smart ass! I missed the "months" part (it's still early and I haven't finished my coffee yet)
  16. Ive been at work since 3am :)
  17. Shhhh lol
  18. Haha awesome... I missed getting any of the Barenaked Ladies stout, so I'm going to keep my eyes open for this new release. Can't go wrong with maple and vanilla! (well it could, but I don't want to think about that :O)

19. Bazinga!!
  20. Love me some Maple :D
  21. nick_asian

nick_asian Aficionado (205) Nevada May 19, 2013

Would so trade for a couple of these.
  22. FEUO

Verdicts?
    Finally hit one store down my way. Picked up a few today. Hoping for a nice summer treat and not a sweet mess.
  23. I'm betting on sweet mess but i like those sometimes.
  24. Well I drank one. That will be the last one. Sweet maple mess sums it up IMO
  25. FEUO

Sweet mess most definitely. But I actually REALLY enjoyed it. Total dessert beer.
  26. Anyone know which LCBOs in Ottawa are carrying this bad boy?
  27. FEUO

28. There was quite a bit available in Orleans.

29. So what's up with FM? I find that they quite often go way overboard with their big beers and they turn into absolute messes that I've paid $10 for and drain poured half of. I'm looking at you Matador!
    polloenfuego and kjyost like this.
  30. I quite enjoyed my bottle and easily finished it on my own. Definitely sweet with loads of maple syrop, and as previously mentioned a great dessert beer. Would pair well with vanilla ice cream! Booze is reasonably well hidden, but given the price point I likely won't be buying another bottle.
  31. Why would an actual brewer collaborating with someone that probably knows nothing about making beer result in a good beer? I wonder what the extent of his "collaboration" was? That funky box, maybe?
    smekermann likes this.
  32. Somehow I doubt C&C (or BNL for that matter) had much to do with the making of their beers beyond a few token photo-ops of them adding chocolate nibs or maple syrup or whatever. It's just good publicity for both the brewery and the musicians. It would seem safe to assume that they left the brewing to the brewers, and the use of popular bands' names is more to justify the extravagant use of expensive ingredients (and, more directly, the resulting price point).
  33. So why the hell is this listed as an 'American Dark Wheat Ale' here? Did the original poster really need the style tick - not to mention the incorrectly posted ABV, a contradiction from his post here, even? This is quite evidently a flavoured wheatwine, which defaults to 'wheatwine' on BA, so say 'we' all, no?
    smekermann likes this.
  34. Hopefully you've reported both? Anyway, I probably won't ever have this beer (seeing as it's apparently expensive and a sugary mess), but I'd just like to chime in that this is what happens when people who think can brew craft beer try their hand at it: it fucking sucks. I don't care that you're some indie crooner, you probably haven't the slightest idea what makes beer tick. Keep drinking professionally brewed beer and stop trying to think you could do better. Hey at least the box is indie as fuck, I guess.

Also, in regards to Flying Monkeys, I've tried their Central City Mosaic Red Ale collaboration (when it came out, btw, not now) and it really wasn't that exciting, at least not compared to a proper Mosaic IPA like Hopnotist. That was my first and only experience with this brewery; are they just kinda mediocre and/or suck or did I just pick up the wrong brew?
  35. I think Dallas Green was only there to take pictures and lend his name to the product, I'm sure he didn't do any actual brewing. As far as the collaboration beer (which is fairly bad) I am pretty sure that a beer brewed with Flying Monkeys at Central City is not enough to judge the rest of the stuff Flying Monkeys puts out....just saying.
    sliverX and korguy123 like this.
  36. Did it occur to you that perhaps he just made a mistake when he added the beer? At least he is contributing and adding/reviewing beers, which is more than most people seem to do around here. Cut the guy some slack instead of assuming the worst next time.
    korguy123, yasky, hoppypocket and 3 others like this.
  37. Dallas green should stick to whine.
    IanSpindler likes this.