1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Flying with beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jkane, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum..

Flying cross country next week and I am planning on taking beers with me, and bringing others back. I've flown with 750's in my checked luggage before without issue, but this time I may be forced to bring growlers with me. Is it safe to fly with growlers, is it legal, and if not, what is the fine?

Appreciate any and all insight!

2. Thanks. Sounds like TSA does not care about beer. Do growlers survive bag checkers?

racingkenny14 likes this.
  3. atpca

atpca Advocate (605) California Jun 10, 2013

Usually. You might want to pack some 2gal zip locks and be liberal with the padding/bubble wrap. Most growlers do fine, though the pressure changes aren't the nicest thing to do to them -- it should only be an issue if the growler already has a manufacturing flaw (bad seal, weak seam in the glass, chip on the rim, etc).

4. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

If you had a HydroFlask or two, you'd be golden. Those wouldn't leak/break at all.

[​IMG]

5. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

The baggage area should be pressurized with the rest of the plane, I don't think there will be any unwanted stress placed on the containers in flight.

6. halo3one

halo3one Advocate (605) Georgia Jun 6, 2014

It's all fine. Bring plenty of bubble wrap. I've taken a wine box that perfectly fits in my luggage, put bottles in it, and then wrap a single layer of bubble around that. No issues.

7. My wife flew all this on the plane last week you will be fine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

draheim, mpalestino, Roxie_B and 3 others like this.
  8. Very true, peoples pets are stowed below

9. Your wife have a sister ? You got a keeper there

ChanChan, draheim, mpalestino and 5 others like this.
  10. zid

zid Savant (430) New York Feb 15, 2010

How on earth?

mpalestino, disGRUNTled and jcos like this.
  11. LOL, yeah she is a keeper for sure understands my beer obsession and supports it ,that haul was from when she was in Chicago on business . She put all the bombers and bottles in ziplock bags and wrapped them in blankets and pillows she took from the hotel and put them in her suitcase . all the cans she packed in a box as you would for a trade ziplock bags , bubble wrap. she checked it in and all arrived safely nothing broken, but TSA did check both ..

jcos likes this.
  12. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (260) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

Attention everyone! Wife of the Year voting has now ended even though it is only August! disGRUNTled's wife has won!

mpalestino, cello, tkdchampxi and 4 others like this.
  13. What is wrong with her. She picked up 8th but no Ethos. Kick her to the curb.

kidding. Awesome job. Now do something nice for her.

14. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (355) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

That's....yeah. I want/need that kind of woman.

Best thing for growlers I guess would be to put them in those extremely over-sized ziplock bags (3 gallons I think?) and then wrap the bags in bubble wrap, towels, or generally loose clothing.

When it comes to bottles, personally I've never bothered with any fancy wrapping or bubble wrap. You know what works for bottles? Socks. Just about any beer bottle will fit inside a sock, be it 12oz or 750ml. The thicker, the more cushioning, the better.

15. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (355) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

I know I already addressed this in my other post but I just wanted to quote this because holy shit your wife rocks.

16. From the title of this thread, I thought I'd be replying, "you're drinking too much of it."

One layer of thick bubble wrap, secured with packing tape, has so far always worked for me, when I take a few 33cls and a few 75cls, a few times a year. Just wrapping in clothes has not always worked (oops). You can probably look forward to a TSA calling card when you reopen the suitcase.

But for convenience, I should step up my game and check out one of these suitcase bottle packers. Frequently discussed in the Benelux forum, so you might check there.

17. Beerasaurus

Beerasaurus Savant (265) Virginia Aug 2, 2008

Bubble wrap, packing tape and large or extra large Ziploc bags always have worked for me. I also bury them in the middle of clothes. The bigger issue is weight. Depending on the amount of clothes, I can usually get 4-6 22oz or 750s per checked bag, and still stay under the 50 lb limit per bag on Southwest. I've only had a couple of TSA calling cards as well.

18. The baggage area is pressurized. The pressure during a flight is equivalent to 8000 ft. If the container is good for that, you are ok.

19. Thanks for all of the good info. I am planning on hauling (3) 2 liter growlers of Hill Farmstead, (4) 750's of Lawsons, and (4) 4 packs of Heady Topper. Only going for two days, so I should have plenty of room for beer in the suitcase. Sounds like I need to go out and buy some bubble wrap.

20. newjack

newjack Aficionado (140) Illinois Aug 22, 2014

May or may not help you but it worked great from me. Got all this back from Cali to Chicago with no problems.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a pelican gun case....

21. jfh

jfh Aficionado (210) California Apr 25, 2008

been there done that. We fly Southwest, free bags. Use the same cooler every time. Epoxy nylon straps with quick release buckles to outside of cooler to make it double safe from opening. I use bath towels and rubber bands to cushion everything and pack it tight to keep vibrations down. Keep weight to 45 pounds, so 10% leeway on the 50 pound limit. Flown with growlers, bottles, cans, cork and cage, only one bottle ever had a problem: cap on but it leaked. TSA has inspected it several times, but never taken anything or screwed up the packing. cheers,

PS. last year on a flight through Portland OR, I swear we could have filled growlers inside security.

22. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Yep. You can and you wont spend one penny more at the airport than you would in the city.

23. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (260) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

"Sir, is that a gun case you're checking?" "Yep, for my collection of 22's"

64vdub likes this.