1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Foaming issues with La Trappe

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlueRogue, Apr 12, 2013.

1. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

I just opened these beers. They weren't shaken or anything. I popped the caps off and a few seconds later it just rose up out of the bottles. Are they drinkable or is something wrong with them?

[​IMG]
  2. what temp were they opened at?

Had they been moved around or changed temps in the last 48 hours?

they're fine, most likely.
    gcamparone and alysmith4 like this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

What the heck are they? Rochefort?
  4. Beer, right? Then drinkable.
  5. BlueRogue

They've been in the refrigerator since December. They're La Trappe Isid'or.
  6. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Looks like le trappe.

They are fine to drink. Some Belgians do that. Happened with a westy 12 for me.
    darky and Bitterbill like this.
  7. BEER MUTINY!!
    fmccormi likes this.
  8. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

That has happened to me only when my fridge was too cold, they had begun to freeze, and when I popped the top they did exactly that. Is your fridge too cold?
    Bitterbill likes this.
  9. BlueRogue

Nope, it's around 45
  10. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

Belgians seem to do that. Had a delirium tremens do the same thing.
  11. shagens

shagens Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Feb 11, 2013

Had that with Belgians too. Especially quads. I learned to be ready after I popped the caps on Westy, Achel, Rochefort etc.. I think all the alcohol is pissed and wants to get out.
  12. Too many variables to anwer your question. Only thing you are going to get is more questions (see above). My advice, nut up and take a drink. You either will like or dislike. If you like, keep drinking. If you dislike, move on to something else. Maybe a Woo Woo or a Fuzzy Navel. (I kid about the Fuzzy Navel, not the Woo Woo, try it, if it's good, keep drinking, if not, stop drinking).
    Frankinstiener likes this.
  13. Opening temp makes a difference.. for homebrew I usually let it warm a bit before opening, as this increases the carbonation for some reason. Did you let 'em warm a bit before opening?

Either way, drink sir! :)
  14. Someone more knowledgeable weigh on on this if I'm wrong, but I think most Belgian beers are bottle conditioned, so sometimes they get a little over-carbonated from the highly active yeast in it. It could also be possible the bottles were infected with brett or some bacteria, which could make it taste a little sour or very dry.

Gushers happen sometimes. You lose a little beer but usually what's left is fine.
  15. BlueRogue

I'm drinking them. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't anything in there that might make me sick.

[​IMG]
  16. LambicKing likes this.
  17. The only beers I've ever had go a-gusher were all Belgians. Uncork them over a sink and well away from your eyes.

Once I started screwing the cage off an Ovila BSPA--hadn't even pulled off the cork--and the cork blew right off and gave me a good bruise between the eyes. Lesson learned.
  18. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Overcarbed maybe? Never had any problems with La Trappe products. But The Bruery beers seem to barf foam more than any other brands I buy.
  19. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

There's your problem. You waited to long and the beer blew its load a month ago.
  20. Pecafaced

Pecafaced Savant (280) Maryland Dec 16, 2010

Too much priming sugar by the monks
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  21. I'll notify quality control for you.
  22. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

You're going to die.
    ant880 and Droogins like this.
  23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I don't believe any beer will actually make you sick. Maybe you'll throw up a little(or a lot if you indulge too much) but that's aboot it.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  24. Nothing that can live in beer can make you sick. I know this from bro science and beer math.
  25. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I ran in to a similar situation with a Alvinne Podge and JK Black Metal recently. By the time they stopped foaming half the bottle was gone. They tasted ok though. I'm interested in the science behind this
  26. They were just happy to see you is all bad case of premature ejaculation
    Drink up
    evilcatfish and gcamparone like this.
  27. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (625) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Belgians and German Heffes do that quite frequently. I've had many bread bakes that have risen well over an ince over the rim of my glass with a very careful tilted glass and slow pour that started 1 inch below the rim and kept rising for 5 minutes after the pour was complete.
  28. too much infected/bad beer can actually create a massive morning duece or at the very least a slightly rumbly tummy...ask me how I know:)
  29. Kikodamian

Kikodamian Zealot (90) Florida Feb 9, 2013

Vigorous bottle opening. If you open a cold bottle of anything a little too hard then set it on the counter a little too hard, boom goes the dynamite. It rarely happens early in the night but as time passes, so does coordination...

At least from my experience.

I hope you didn't lose too much!
  30. Take this with a grain of salt because it came from a brewer and not a biologist or doctor, but....supposedly no known human pathogens can survive in over 4.x% alcohol (cant remember the tenths but it was between 4.5 and 4.9). As others have said, it may taste a bit off if there is something in it that shouldnt be, or it is just some over active yeast.
  31. Beerboy33

Beerboy33 Zealot (90) Illinois Mar 19, 2008

Those look like 2 Oak Aged La Trappes, roughly $18 a bottle in Chicago. I would suck that foam like it was the fountain of youth!
  32. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

33. griffeyb

griffeyb Savant (325) Pennsylvania Oct 15, 2010

Nothing can live in beer that can make you sick, except alcohol.
  34. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

This is obviously a clear case of someone dropping a Mentos in your beer.
  35. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

The perfect prep before spending the next three days watching the Mets/Twins in the f*cking snow!
    [​IMG]
  36. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Wrong forum people.

I was way off.
  37. Rback

Rback Aficionado (160) New York Feb 26, 2012