1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

FOBAB 2012 - November 17th

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by steebo777, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Illinois Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

I don't *think* it did change this year. BPT accidentally set the limit to 1 ticket per transaction when the tickets went on sale which led to people thinking they were non-transferable. I got an email back from BPT saying the bar codes are session-specific - it doesn't matter if the date/time is on the tickets nor does it matter who actually uses the ticket. Let secondary market commence in 5, 4, 3...
  2. I think next year they'll probably significantly lower the number of tickets available per person a la Dark Lord Day, but I doubt they've changed anything this year other than venue. I mean, tickets were available for weeks last year after they went on sale rather than hours. There wasn't really a reason to worry about scalping in that situation because it probably barely existed if at all, and I doubt they thought that suddenly this year the tickets would all go so quickly.
  3. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

I just hope the change in venue and change in ticket procedure doesn't mean a change in entry or pour station organization at the event. Compared to most every beer fest here in California, FOBAB has always been a dream with regard to space and ease/speed of obtaining a pour; let's hope they do as much as possible to replicate the old Plumbers' Hall formula.
    Gonzoillini and raymo55 like this.
  4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Give it time. People just bought them. They haven't given their friends time to back out yet.
  5. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Wait...you could buy 8? I thought it was one per order (i had to place 2 orders)
  6. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

7. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

8. normyk

normyk Savant (260) Ohio Dec 10, 2007

In for my second year, this time first session. Assuming that Founders doesn't come up with something crazy impressive to compete. Very looking forward to the madness.

If tastings are going to happen I'd certainly be game.
    Urbancaver likes this.
  9. Me and 1000 of my friends will be doing a tasting at FOBAB at 1pm! ;)
  10. JPortillo

JPortillo Savant (290) Illinois Mar 12, 2012

I'm happy to have scored a ticket for this.
  11. SteveIl

SteveIl Zealot (80) Illinois May 21, 2012

No name. Also the ticket does not have the date or time.
  12. kiwifuz

kiwifuz Aficionado (165) Indiana Oct 27, 2005

Last year I purchased six tickets. I had to have the other five people together with me in line & show my ID to match the list of names for entry before we could get our wristbands.
  13. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

In for the 1 PM Session. Who else is getting in an hour early?
  14. Anyone know when we'll know what beers by who will be there?
  15. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Reports start trickling in a couple of weeks beforehand... usually about half (or a bit more) of the beers are announced (either through social media or some folks who work closely with the festival) by the day of FoBAB.
  16. To me that doesn't even matter. We are going to have so many great beers there that any kind of pre-planning is pointless.

For those goig to the late sesssion, where is the pre-party at? where is the after-party at?
  17. cmsteele62

cmsteele62 Zealot (95) Illinois Nov 24, 2010

I have two evening session tickets, is anyone interested in swapping for the afternoon session?
  18. any MN'oan going? I need to get 2 bottles from a BA who is going to this event and doesnt want to ship.
  19. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (270) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

I might b able to help you out. Shoot me a BM with some details (where does this person live, what session are they attending etc).
  20. I didnt realize the times were jacked. Thanks for all the offers to help.
  21. Any hotels of choice for BA'ers?
  22. lurchingbeast

Dumpster behind Maria's most likely.
    MasterSki, pschul4 and Treebs like this.
  23. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Get your own spot!
    Lansman likes this.
  24. ravot

i can offer some rooms and sofas for wales.
    genuinedisciple likes this.
  25. Some rooms and sofas for a whole country sounds a little steep!
    redsand22 likes this.
  26. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

I don't think there will be a "BA Hotel" similar to what Dark Lord Day or Great Taste is. With the fest being in Bridgeport, there really aren't many options as far as hotels go. I would expect most out-of-towners will stay downtown were 90% of the hotel options are. Personally I would shop for the best deal that is still in an acceptable location.
  27. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

This is the first time at this particular venue, so probably not anything close. It is also pretty far from the last venue.
  28. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

Where is the venue? public transportation?
  29. immobilisme

It is in the Bridgeport neighborhood on the south side. Address is 1200 W 35th St. You can take the train (Red or Green Line) from downtown to 35th Street and a bus over to Racine... or you can take the Halsted (or Ashland) bus down and walk a half mile to the venue.
  30. Or Orange line to Ashland! Then it's a ~1 mile walk or bus/walk combination.

For what it's worth, I would not expect to easily find cabs after the event. Hell, you might get cab drivers balking at taking you down there in the first place.
  31. ravot

32. marc2572

marc2572 Aficionado (160) Michigan Aug 24, 2005

I assume you mean this is not exactly a prime area for cabs?
  33. Exactly. It's not a safety issue that cabs wouldn't want to take you there -- just that there wouldn't be much of a chance of a return fare.
  34. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

35. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Just go big and then the Rush hospital is available as well.
    Etan, PDZ, DrAwkward82 and 2 others like this.
  36. CTA down. Pub crawl back downtown?
  37. immobilisme

It is going to be a boring pub crawl from Maria's to Simone's or Skylark...
  38. ravot

there's that new bar, was decent. they do karaoke on thursdays. on 18th and blue island. where the library is. i was a few drinks in from Maria's when going there, but it wasn't bad. they had Revolution anti hero on tap then (a month ago) just saying.
  39. I was thinking Old Style signs down Halsted to Skylark. Then backup Racine to Taylor/UIC area. Tons of bars to hit. Although you have to be open minded(with regards to beer choices).
  40. lurchingbeast

That sounds like an awful awful awful awful time.

Why not drink at Maria's until you pass out instead?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.