Foolproof, Rhode Island's newest craft brewery, launches

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Todd, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

PAWTUCKET, Rhode Island, Jan. 3, 2013 – Foolproof Brewing Company (formerly High Jinx Brewing Company) announced its beers are now available in bars across Rhode Island. The brewery, which pairs high-quality, hand-crafted beers with a variety of life experiences, is the latest addition to New England's craft brewing scene.

"We are thrilled to introduce our unique and flavorful brews to beer lovers across Rhode Island," said Foolproof's president and founder Nick Garrison. "At Foolproof, we craft each of our brews with a sacred beer drinking experience in mind."

The brewery produces three year-round beers, each designed with a particular experience or activity in mind. Foolproof's initial year-round offerings include "Barstool," an American golden ale dedicated to a night out at the bar; "Raincloud," a robust porter for rainy days; and "Backyahd," an IPA for barbecuing and other outdoor activities. The company also produces a limited line of high-end specialty beers, which rotate throughout the year.

Joining Garrison's team are Foolproof's brewmaster, Damase Olsson, formerly of Pennichuck Brewing Company and a graduate of the World Brewing Academy, as well as sales manager Kyle Pauly, formerly of Berkshire Brewing Company and Ithaca Beer Company.

Foolproof Brewing Company's beers are now available in select bars across Rhode Island, and the brewery will introduce 12 oz. cans to the market before the end of the month. The company is distributing its beers throughout Rhode Island, working with C&C Distributors. The brewery plans to expand into Massachusetts and Connecticut and other markets throughout New England, eventually growing to a national level.

Starting Friday, Jan. 4, Foolproof will offer six one-hour tours per week of its brewery, located at 241 Grotto Avenue in Pawtucket. Tours are held Fridays at 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. and Saturdays at 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00 p.m. For $10, patrons receive a tour of the brewery, an overview of beer and the brewing process, a sampling of Foolproof's beers, and a glass to take home with them.

About Foolproof Brewing Company
    Foolproof Brewing Company (http://www.foolproofbrewing.com) in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, produces high-quality, hand-crafted beers designed with specific experiences in mind. Whether it be watching a baseball game, sitting at home on a rainy day, or just catching up with friends at the local pub, Foolproof's goal is to create unique and fulfilling beer experiences.

###

DaKur and Jwale73 like this.
  2. Awesome! I'm going to try and make it saturday.

3. I met Nick a few years back at the CT Real Ale fest and we've chatted a few times . Happy to see his dream come to fruition and I look forward to a taste!

4. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

I'll be checking this place out for sure. Looks like Rhode Island brewing is on the rise...

5. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (400) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Awesome another brewery in RI close to SE Mass

6. This is great! I'd love to get to that tour soon. Any idea what bars will be pouring their stuff?

7. Pegli

Pegli Savant (315) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

So far, I see Doherty's and What Cheer on their facebook page

8. Doherty's eh? Sounds like a plan....

Thanks!

9. Pegli

Pegli Savant (315) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

I dug a little deeper - the Foolproof Launch Party at Doherty's is the 9th so I doubt it's on tap yet...

10. Thanks for the heads up. The 9th is what, a Wednesday? Maybe I'll swing by.

11. I'll be at one of the four tastings tomorrow so I'll post a review when I get back. I have high hopes for these guys.

12. I went on a tour today with the wife. I'll post pics when I get on my desktop later tonight.

Its a small place among a few other warehouses. They have a register right when you walk in where you pay for the tour. The cost is $10 but you get a pint glass and three "samples". Each glass has three bottle caps in it, which you can trade in for a beer.Their "sample" is filling up three quarters of the pint glass! My glass had a 4th bottle cap, which I quickly converted into a beer. I probably drank 40 ounces of beer while I was there.

The nice thing is that you can have your samples at any time. Most brewery tours make you wait until the end to sample. The majority of people who go on tours, just want the samples. This method is great because once people have their beer, they actually pay attention to what is going on. Mid tour they ask if anyone needs refills.

I had a great time today and plan on going back again. The beer was great too. I asked the master brewer and they plan on having four seasonal beers which will come in bombers: Imperial Stout, Saison, Double IPA and Belgium Strong Ale.

If you leave nearby, try and go on a tour. I highly recommend it.

DaKur likes this.
  13. Sounds great. The old home turf is really churning out quality brew these days. I've got to visit more customers there.

14. From earlier today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DaKur likes this.
  15. kevdemers

kevdemers Savant (290) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2011

I agree in stopping by for a tour yesterday they did a very nice job there. They have their crap together and have upward mobility depending on the popularity once the beer hits shelves.

Wish the porter was ready and on tap but Nick gave each of us a sample from the tank, great chocolate notes. I got the first IPA of the day, did not detect much aroma then but on the second pour really picked up some grapefruit. Very nice IPA and will definitely seek out in the future. My non- IPA drinking friend was impressed with the golden ale as well.

I felt like a lightweight because as mentioned above there was a lot of beer served throughout the hour! Would recommend anyone in the general area to check them out. Foolproof should be on tap now or shortly at the usual respected beer bars in the area (Doherty' s East Ave will have a kickoff event on 1/9), and they estimate their beers will be available in RI liquor stores by late this month.

16. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

I'm jealous. I had plans to go but my babysitter got sick thats that. See you next weekend hopefully. I only live a couple blocks away so I bet I will be making multiple trips.

17. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I was fortunate enough to go on the new Foolproof Brewing tour this weekend and had a great time. I must say, I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but was pleasantly surprised with the beers I tasted.

I thought the porter was outstanding(I'm generally not a big porter guy) and the IPA was something I would definitely purchase somewhat regularly assuming the price is reasonable. The IPA is brewed with Nugget for bittering and Cascade and Fuggles for flavor and aroma. It has a nice spice and citrus flavor and a very clean finish. Sort of reminded me of SNPA on steroids. Ironically all the the beers I tasted were quite bitter (which I like), even the porter and the golden ale.

Their beers are in several RI bars right now and should be on store shelves by the end of the month. Check it out. I doubt you'll be disappointed. I'm looking forward to seeing how other BAs are reviewing their beers.

18. ABinaco

ABinaco Zealot (90) Massachusetts Apr 9, 2009

Can't wait to see what Damase & Co have done down there.

19. SenorHops

Supposed to also be on tap at Track 84 and Julian's, as well as Murphy's Law and the Celtic Pub in Pawtucket, if not now, any day now.

Providence likes this.
  20. I am heading to doherty's shortly you heading over?

21. Ahhhh, I wish I were. Unfortunately I am coming down the home stretch with a series of PhD. applications I am submitting very shortly. Gotta finish them up, after that, there's going to be a whole bunch of beer consumed!

Thanks!

22. Oh we'll I will just enjoy them and if they aren't that good Flower Power, Sucks and Palate Wrecker are on tap.

23. Drinking the IPA now @ Wickenden. Pretty pretty pretty pretty good.

24. Good. the.golden surprised me with the saaz hops not my style but would be goood post hockey.

DaKur likes this.
  25. DaKur likes this.
  26. Went on the 3:00 tour last saturday and was really impressed for how together they seem to be after just getting everything in in november.

The guys there are super friendly and definitely know their stuff and like someone else said, they are very generous with the beer they give even if they only have 2 on tap right now. The golden ale is really good for the style, really easy drinking football watching type beer and the IPA is really well balanced. They poured the porter right out of the tank and I cant wait to try the porter when its finished, it had good coffee/chocolate character and when its carbonated and has some body it will be much better.

The best part was that since we were on the last tour the owner and brewmasters and the owners wife didnt kick us out they let us hang for almost an hour and just sat and chatted with us in the bar/tasting area. I will definitely be going back again. I just wish RI would get their stuff straight and allow growler fills!

mschofield likes this.
  27. When I was at the Newport Storm brewery tour I got a growler fill. Granted, that was years ago. I am assuming things have changed since, any idea why?

28. I've been told two different stories, 1. they never were supposed to and eventually got caught. 2. they had found a loophole at the time and it has since been closed. Nonetheless you can't get growler fills at breweries..you can at trinity though for some reason. RI is a confusing and messed up place.

29. Basically you can only have one type of liquor license in Rhode Island. Each license allows you to either sell beer at retail, make beer, or allow for the consumption on site.

Per Rhode Island General Law 3-5-9, "Not more than one retail license, except in the case of a retailer's Class E license, shall be issued for the same premises. Every license shall particularly describe the place where the rights under the license are to be exercised and beverages shall not be manufactured or kept for sale or sold by any licensee except at the place described in his or her license."

For example,

Nikki's Liquors can only sell beer as long as its not consumed on site.
    Union Station Brewery can make beer, but you can only drink it there.
    Foolproof can brew beer and send it through distribution, but you cant buy any beer on site. Technically they give their beer away as you are paying for the tour.

30. Since this is RI, home of the sketchy side deal... What about going around it and selling tokens that can be used to fill growlers with? You technically only sold a token; or buy a pint glass for 8-10$ get a free growler? I've seen such tactics used in some establishments to get around smoking laws which are very similar but I'm not sure if that will end up getting a whole operation shut down.

31. Damn. Reading this thread got me thinking of a quick-ish trip down to RI to check these guys out (and maybe meet another Maiden fan!) until I read that part. No growlers... that sucks.

:(

32. No growler fills encourages me to drink a growlers worth on-site.

33. I suppose you could go there and just keep paying for tours. You'd easily be able to drink a growler's worth (64 ounces).

34. How do we as RIlanders get these stupid laws reversed?

jedwards likes this.
  35. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Finally got up to the brewery today. Very nice facility, good beers. Tried some of their new RIS hopped with German varieties -- quite tasty. Looking forward to cans in the very near future!

36. Had a pint of the IPA Friday night at Malt on Broadway in Newport. I thought it was solid.

37. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (385) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Do they have a date that the cans will hit stores?

38. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Not yet. It sounds like their equipment is being validated on Tuesday and they plan on canning Wednesday & Thursday, so hopefully very soon!

39. SenorHops

Cans are on shelves!

40. Yup. A sixer of Barstool was a perfect accompaniment for the snow on Friday evening. Crushed the whole thing, last two out of the can, and loved every second of it.

SenorHops and fineout like this.