1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

For the DFW guys.

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by puddledynamics, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Focus raffy, focus! Lol.

Krumb likes this.
  2. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I had a chance to try Utopias this past Friday at the FW Saucer.

If I had the means I would buy one...I'd be willing to split a bottle 6-8 ways if some fellow BA's want to make a tasting out of it. It's totally worth trying and much smoother than expected.

puddledynamics likes this.
  3. H0rnedFr0gs

Any word on Buddha Brew drop Fern?

4. Tuesday or Wednesday, I'm told.

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  5. AAxsom

AAxsom Aficionado (210) Texas Jan 13, 2010

Fern brought Utopias to the tasting back at the Addison saucer last year. If we put together a similar type tasting, I'll definitely put in for it. It's great stuff...

We need to see if we can set up some tarrant county tastings. I hit up the opening of Rodeo Goat last night and they have a side room. It's a great place.

/end hijack thread. Shop at Halls!

puddledynamics likes this.
  6. H0rnedFr0gs

This happen today?

I'll ask Landon but I suspect since they have their liquor license they cannot allow carry in beer.

As I mentioned in the growler fill in DFW thread. Brewed would be a perfect place...awesome food and a great patio.

7. Sazz9

Sazz9 Savant (375) Texas Jul 6, 2012

AAxsom, you happen to work at UNTHSC?

8. H0rnedFr0gs

Buddhas at Kings and Total in FW. As I understand the sku isn't entered to receive at Cental Market and got rejected. Specs might get it later today or Friday.

9. It's been nice and damn busy at the store so I havent had time to post...osrry guys.
    We got more Gotlandsdricka(no limit)
    Jester King Budda's Brew 750ml..only a couple left really, it got on the shelf wed.
    New Belgium Imp Coffee Chocolate Stout 22oz
    New Belgium Biere De Garde 22oz
    Stone Enjoy By 12.21.12 ,22oz
    Bridgeport Ebenezer 6pks
    Ranger Creek #3 pints
    Mikkeller nugget 12oz

10. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Fern! Any word on when Abyss and Funk Metal arrive?

11. AAxsom

Yup, sure do. But more importantly, any news on Funk Metal?

12. H0rnedFr0gs

In the JK thread they said it leaves their warehouse this week. So maybe Friday or early next week. 200 cases, on par with Boxer's batch 2 in size if I remember correctly so a lot of stores will get this and hopefully many will 2-3 cases

AAxsom likes this.
  13. Made some phone calls,.nothing on any of those beers yet.

14. H0rnedFr0gs

FW guys. The Peticolas winter warmer. wintervention I think. Is $3 pints tonight at the Saucer.

Punctuation and CaPiTOLs be damned

puddledynamics and raffy313 like this.
  15. Deep ellum double brown stout 6pks are in.

16. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Turned out they screwed up. I got the last pint before they changed the price back to normal. It was good.

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  17. H0rnedFr0gs

Hutch is the man for pointing it out.

I wish that place had more rare tappings..the obligatory Friday Rahr cask is what I call rare anymore

18. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Agree on the rare stuff.

The place has a weird vibe lately. A lot of employee unrest/disatisfaction.

19. H0rnedFr0gs

Between all the moving its expected. I'm good friends with everyone there so hopefully it all shakes out well.

Unfortunately Fort Worth hasn't stepped beyond Rahr...or from a different perspective Rahr hasn't evolved into a true craft brewery. I give them credit for the barleywine and the Black IPA. Both good brews and a major step into a new world for them

20. mattisloco

Were you able to go to their 8th Anniversary tour? Rahr floored me with their 1 off kegs that day. The Brett, Barleywine and Peppercorn Wit were great.

21. H0rnedFr0gs

Missed it. Was there this past weekend though..Devil Pug was ok (Ugly Pug with peppers) and their blonde had tea or something like that.

Don't get me wrong, Rahr is good...it's just not on par with the amazing stuff coming out of TX right now

22. Picked up JK Gotland, NB Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout, Commercial Suicide and Left Hand Fade to Black IV last week at Total Wine in FW. The had Buddha's Brew limited at the front but I passed.

23. Rahr is a true craft brewery....end rant.

air, Exiled and Krumb like this.
  24. H0rnedFr0gs

Lakewoods tapping their BIPA, Hoptrap, with coriander and earl grey tea at Brewed.

Pretty awesome stuff...the tea matches the yeast great.

25. H0rnedFr0gs

Fair enough. I think they aim for a BMC drinker with a quality product and they succeed very well. I also think they miss the mark for the typical user on this website.

I visit them frequently and drink their beer at bars, but excluding BBWW their beer on a shelf doesn't even stir the needle. I also think they can evolve to serve my tastes but they are behind the curve in a crowded market.

26. Definitely needs to be discussed over a beer, not on interwebs.

Krumb and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  27. H0rnedFr0gs

FW tasting before the New Years!

28. I wish, way to busy after this weekend to do anything.

29. mattisloco

I want in on this

30. H0rnedFr0gs

I spoke with some of the guys at Brewed and they sounded at least interested in the idea of a bottle share...they really have an awesome place and a patio. Between them and Live Oak, which Brewed's patio back up to, I think it would be worth the drive over for Dallas folks.

Any place in dallas that can do this well? Would the guys at DEBC allow a share on their patio for their Thursday night tour?

31. mattisloco

No idea on DEBC... that would be awesome though.

32. AAxsom

Brewed - Finally a FW location that does growler fills! And has awesome all-TX beers on tap!

33. H0rnedFr0gs

I had Temptress on Nitro there last night with 2 shots of espresso added. Pretty awesome mix. They also had Guadalupe on draft...the Honey Ale was really crisp and refreshing

34. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

I stand by Fern's opinion on Rahr. Have you been there on a Wednesday night? That's the time to go if you feel like geeking out and you should see for yourself. They tap some pretty ridiculous one-offs that don't go outside the doors of the brewery.

Krumb, Sazz9 and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  35. positively4thst

positively4thst Zealot (80) Texas Sep 19, 2009

Anyone seen Anchor Christmas Magnums yet? I have seen the six packs but no magnums so far, I know its still early in the season.

36. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Central Market has them and HEB in Burleson does too. They are like $15

37. frogfan

frogfan Savant (370) Texas Sep 4, 2009

Grapevine Beer & Wine had a couple early last week.

38. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (935) Texas Jun 14, 2012

Total Wine (Dallas) has them in right now.

39. positively4thst

positively4thst Zealot (80) Texas Sep 19, 2009

Cool, thanks for info on Anchor Magnums!

40. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (935) Texas Jun 14, 2012

To pass along info, CM (Dallas) has Buddha's Brew on the shelf and plenty of Gotlandsdricka (also on the shelf), I got the last Stone Enjoy By that was on the shelf in the cooler Don't know if they have more or not. They also got in Affligem Noel and Jewbelation Sweet 16 sitting on the shelves.