For the DFW guys.

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by puddledynamics, Oct 31, 2012.

1. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Advocate (520) Texas Mar 12, 2012 Verified

Popped my last BBWW in honor of my comments about Rahr. I guess my beef is that they are capable of this, this awesomely great beer. And probably capable of this year round and 3-4 recipes at one time. I think Tenderfoot is going to be good and Visionary Brew was knocking on the door.

But when we have Jamie about to be going again, DEBC, Lakewood, Peticolas, and all the Austin and TX beer coming in. Rahr has the ability to evolve into a front runner in craft vs. being a front door into craft. Neither of which are bad and perhaps the smart play is to aim for both. I see Saint Arnold with a similar base line beer rapidly evolving to meet the niche craftie market while maintaining their core and I hope that success spurs Rahr into similar pursuits

AAxsom, gtermi and TX-Badger like this.
  2. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Poobah (1,015) Texas Jun 14, 2012 Verified

For the most part I agree. The only one you listed that I don't really think makes a good consistent product is DEBC. They have fantastic marketing, but the beer is hit or miss. Their IPA, pretty decent, Pollenator, not bad, Dreamcrusher, pretty good; but the remainder of their beers (in my humble opinion) are just so so, but that may also be my taste buds. Of all the DFW breweries, I think that Lakewood, Peticolas, and Revolver are going to emerge as some pretty darn good craft breweries. I have yet to have something from Lakewood I haven't absolutely enjoyed. Again, might be my taste buds.

Rahr could be so much more, I've been to a couple tours on Wednesdays and they show the stuff to be so much more, I wish they would make larger batches.

AAxsom and air like this.
  3. gtermi

gtermi Champion (805) Texas Apr 21, 2010 Subscriber

I agree with this! I think Rahr is very below average and though I like to support local companies, there is nothing they make that I would ever spend money on...except for the BBWW

4. mattisloco

mattisloco Advocate (500) Texas Feb 13, 2007 Verified

Tenderfoot is being bottled? That is the barleywine right? If so that was a very solid Barleywine.

5. H0rnedFr0gs

Yep. As I understood its still a year away from bottling.

I tasted it side by side with Live Oak Old Treehugger and I liked Live Oak more but tenderfoot was still young and it's going to grow into something pretty awesome.

mattisloco likes this.
  6. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (305) Texas Feb 8, 2010 Verified

Agree on Rahr, they've showed flashes that they can make some really great brews. DEBC's Double Brown Stout is also pretty solid, imo. Revolver has got something good going. The Blood & Honey is fantastic.

7. Beer!
    Breckenridge Christmas Mini kegs 5ltr
    Fuller's 2009 Vintage
    Anchor Christmas 3ltr bottles

air likes this.
  8. mattisloco

Thanks Fern! Happen to hear anything on Abyss or Dissident?

fragilehearted likes this.
  9. air

air Savant (370) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Fully with you on Lakewood, and include Peticolas in terms of "have yet to have something from x I haven't absolutely enjoyed". They're neck to neck in my eyes. I still think the Temptress recipe has been tweaked (it was better in past iterations before they opened the brewery), but it could just be confirmation bias around my circles. With Peticolas, that Wintervention's such a unique take on the winter warmer and I'm definitely gonna drink a ton of it over the holidays.

10. I agree that Lakewood and Peticolas are knocking it out. I'll be curious to see how Four Corners and Community do, along with the new one coming around in FTW. Also agree DEBC is all marketing and no product. Even wealth and taste was a misfire IMO. If you have a dry beer style and add white wine, which has a soft, buttery flavor, you make a flabby BGSA. I've only tried Blood and Honey from Revolver and I am not a fan at all. I've been told their other beers are better but I haven't come across any on tap yet.

I appreciate the local love for Rahr but they are not putting out competitive beers on the craft market. They might have been competitive against Shiner and Sam Adams (maybe) but not in light of the other locals and all the other Texas beers coming in. Gravel Road and Iron Thistle are ok. I like both the barrel and non-barrel aged WW. Last year's BBWW was a little too boozy, even in the bottle I just popped open Monday. Most beers, as somebody else said, are entry-level craft beers. The market has evolved away from needing those training wheels kind of beers. You see college kids going right into IPAs and skipping years of wasteful BMC drinking. I hope Rahr advances their offerings to be more competitive. They will have to do more than throw some chiles or vanilla in their beers to get it done.

11. H0rnedFr0gs

I have to say the lack of love for DEBC is surprising. Heck I don't think they even market that hard. The Wit and the Stout are middle of the road, but anything where they can punch you in the teeth with hops they do amazingly. And Dreamcrusher proved to me that they can build a beer up to have more than just floral notes and bitterness.

I'm very happy to have a fresh bottled IPA in my fridge and will be my go-to extra for trades, until Lakewood gets the bottles out (which I hear is very close)

12. mattisloco

Which stout? Double Brown I hope... Darkest Hour is their finest beer to me and I believe it really showcased what Andrew can do given the proper ingredients.

13. H0rnedFr0gs

double brown for sure. I agree that darkest hour is greatness

14. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Poobah (1,015) Texas Jun 14, 2012 Verified

In Dallas, they are marketing pretty hard, don't know if they get over to Ft. Worth as much, but I see stuff for them all over. As I said, their IPA and Dreamcrusher (2xIPA) are both pretty decent and I will drink.

However, I can't wait for Lakewood to put bottles on the shelf. Their Hop Trapp and Temptress are fantastic! Can't wait to have Hop Trapp in the fridge.

15. Sethzilla

Sethzilla Savant (265) Texas Oct 10, 2012 Verified

Dissident hit up here in Denton... I'm assuming it's at other places in the DFW area now as well.

Exiled likes this.
  16. gtermi

Thanks for the update. You might want to post that in the Dissident thread too

17. Dissident hits Monday.Lakewood is bottling soon but still several months out from distributing to Tarrant county.

18. mattisloco

See ya Monday morning :)

Krumb and fragilehearted like this.
  19. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Savant (280) Texas Dec 13, 2009

Ditto.

mattisloco likes this.
  20. positively4thst

positively4thst Zealot (80) Texas Sep 19, 2009

Fern at Halls turned me on to the Jewbelation Sweet 16 and its great. I would highly recommend it. I am wondering how it would cellar?

21. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (610) Texas May 30, 2009

This is great news! Have you herd when Funk Metal might show up Fern?

22. Tuesday ,I believe.

Exiled likes this.
  23. Deschutes The Dissident 22oz (limit 1 and eleven bottles left, first come first served)
    Lefthand Fade to Black 6pks

Exiled likes this.
  24. Exiled

Any word on when Abyss might show up Fern?

25. Still waiting on word.

26. Rahr bourbon barrel winter warmer 22oz!
    Blue moon proximity 750ml
    Blue moon impulse 750ml

27. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

Ack, just saw you got dissident yesterday. Jumping in the car if you still have some

28. Sorry, dissident is all gone......funk metal just got here though! limit one per.

Krumb and Exiled like this.
  29. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

Anyone that hot some dissident, let me know. Have some bourbon county for you.

Exiled and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  30. H0rnedFr0gs

I got an extra for you

mattisloco likes this.
  31. H0rnedFr0gs

No Funk made it on the truck to Specs, CM, nor Kings as of lunch.

Kings and Specs were expecting it today though.

32. gtermi

Damn my fiancée's aunt was suppose to save me a few bottles today from Kings. Hopefully they get them in later or tomorrow

33. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Advocate (550) Arizona Jul 26, 2012 Verified

Did you already sell the Utopias? My birthday is in a couple of weeks...

34. No, we haven't. It currently is still not for sale.
    Also....beer!
    Sam Smiths Winter welcome 4pks
    Rogue Yellow Snow 22oz
    Full Sail Session Fest 11oz?
    Quimera Imperial Stout, Pale Ale and Amber Ale 750ml
    Six point Diesel(almost all gone though....day late reporting, my bad)
    Van De Keizer Gouden Carolous 750ml
    Santa's Butt Porter 1pnt 9oz
    Jester King Weasel Rodeo 750ml (no limit)

No news about Abyss, Victory at Sea or Black Ops....lame.

35. Anybody have thoughts on if/when/where we might see Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux this winter? I know Common Table tapped a keg in November and T&P had it last winter. I'd like to see it in the bottle but would accept on draft as well...

36. H0rnedFr0gs

Are these new cases?

mattisloco and Exiled like this.
  37. Exiled

fragilehearted, cfh64 and mattisloco like this.
  38. H0rnedFr0gs

Its been about 50/50 for me. The last bottle barely hissed any and from like a 2ft pour had zero head. I've been lucky I guess to get a few bottles with lingering carbonation (it really helped with the spiciness of the peppers)

39. No, not new. Also for the people looking for the Westvleteran xii...it's not coming to Tx. Shelton Bro's have put up the official shipping list.

40. gtermi

I am excited to hear that we might be getting Black Ops. I have honestly never seen that beer and have been wanting to try it for a long time.