Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

For the Evansville BAs - Tin Man

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Chaney, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craft_shannie

craft_shannie Savant (465) Indiana Nov 9, 2012 Verified

certainly not one of warmth and welcome, but rather characterized by arrogance and alientation to those who simply like good beer and appreciate good service. we know good beer. so, it really isn't necessary for you to 1)tell me it is good, 2) tell me their's is bad, or 3) provide directive to those who happen to be on the bandwagon of your preliminary attempts to go to beeradvocate, yelp, etc to "combat" the haters. humility. great that Tin Man seems to be giving it lip service in this forum, but we will see if it is carried out.

a lot of things with Tin Man just haven't added up. . . it doesn't mean I don't want to see them succeed, but they have a lot to overcome. starting out as a production brewery and not a brewpub may be a little bit too aggressive for relatively new brewers to the scene. time will tell.
    Chaney likes this.
  2. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (390) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

Did they do this?
    Chaney likes this.
  3. craft_shannie

craft_shannie Savant (465) Indiana Nov 9, 2012 Verified

via FB:
    Tin Man Brewing CompanyNow that's something to toast too! We'll be looking forward to your next visit and if anyone is your group has time, we'd really appreciate some local love for us on yelp.com or beer advocate. We wish our fans would speak up more!!! :) http://www.yelp.com/biz/tin-man-brewing-company-evansville-2

there was another post that i remember being a bit more direct & provided the beeradvocate link, but it has been deleted.
    Chaney likes this.
  4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

A+ thread, would read again!
    Jkoeneman, CWBlues and Chaney like this.
  5. Well, as it stands right now, their beer absolutely sucks. Pretty much everyone who truly knows craft beer at all and has tried their knows that. I think Nick knows that also (deep down inside). I still remember going to one of the places around Evansville (I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe it was Winetree). They seemed to indicate that even "Tin Man" knew that they opened too early. I'm thinking now they're seeing the repercussions of that decision (which is warranted, to my mind) and, instead of apologizing for it, they went on the offensive. They're now backtracking (at least on here) which is the right thing to do. In short, where they interjected exclamation points, they should have inserted question marks.

However, the mere fact that Nick came onto the forum and didn't apologize for the shortcomings of his brewery (so far) gave him cushion enough to my sensitive sensibilities to give him a bit of space. In my area (DC), there is NO WAY a brewery would open without at least having their major commodity in check. Nick & Co. now have the message from the community loud and clear. Here's to hoping they keep grinding away...... and they need to do something REALLY quick.

Here are my recent reviews (which will definitely stay on here) in case you think I'm apologizing for them:
  6. Great quote in theory, Shannie, but I personally couldn't find it. Maybe I'm stupid..... which I am.... or so my lovely wife tells me. :)
  7. Snowrs

It was posted on the 23rd in a reply to a group of 25 visiting , I found it. It disappointed me just a bit, that type of thing should not happen. People should not come here to just boost reviews especially since now they take into account hads as well. IMO that is not a tactic that should be used by any brewery but I am afraid it will happen more now because of the ease at which you can influence scores especially from a small brewery.
    Chaney likes this.
  8. I stand corrected..... :)
  9. Any word on their new DIPA and aged porter?
  10. drevim

drevim Aficionado (190) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

There's been a few check ins on Untappd for the DIPA. Mostly positive. The Porter isn't released until 6pm. May try to sneak down later and give it a try. Not a big IPA guy, but if its still there, I'll do my best impartial tasting. Think I read they only had 10 gal of the DIPA
    Chaney likes this.
  11. Snowrs

At my daughters swim meet, I hope to be home before 6 but I don't know.
  12. Cool. I've lived in DC for the past 14 years, but I'm from the Tri-state area, and my wife and I are considering moving back into the area (or perhaps Indianapolis) once I retire from the Air Force in 5.5 years. Totally wanting some new breweries to make their mark. Hopefully, "Tin Man" will lead the way on the Evansville front!
  13. I guess the Untappd check ins have been part of their undoing. I'm not an Untappd guy, so I don't know for sure.
    drevim likes this.
  14. Skimmed the Untappd stuff and noticed that a lot of peeps dug the new stuff. Awesome!

Hopefully, some aren't just "Tin Man" goons marking the stuff up for the hell of it. If they are, I strongly believe it will hurt them in the long run. Hopefully it's not the following people: Andrew B, Evansville B, Sean G, Kenny L, Ben L, and Chris Y (and maybe more, I don't know..... just want and NEED to unload it here on BA). The BAs of Evansville need to take the "full disclosure" stance if they want to make things right and get a brewery worth their salt in the area. No more dishonesty or excuses from ANY of the media outlets! To those UnTappd peeps: If you're wanting "Tin Man" to turn over a new leaf, want to show your employer is honest in its endeavors, you need to stop the Untappd carping NOW!!

Probably missed a few in the Untappd list. Fill me (us) in if there are more.

However, if the beer was really that good this weekend (or felt it was in the past), awesome! Please disregard my post, which will probably only be seen by BAs in the Evansville community (or ones in the Indiana community who want another kick-ass brewery in the state) anyway.

15. Just found it on FB. Very interesting. I guess it was created even before I created this thread....
  16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

17. Just saw this. Very funny. I had a few Troegs "Nugget Nectars" while I was writing the other night, so hopefully all is forgiven for either annoying or boring. Cheers!
    Snowrs and headyhopzhead like this.
  18. Still, the peeps of Evansville deserve better. Some reviews of "Rivet" are now in. It wasn't available when my wife and I were there. C'est le vie......
  19. Alcorn

Alcorn Aficionado (130) Nov 26, 2012

Tin Man started distribution of cans over the weekend. This would be good except they decided to onbly sell them in the Liquor Locker stores, snubbing every other chain in town including one that is better at craft beer. Granted, they can do whatever they want but way to go with #2 Tin Man!

Seriously though, who the hell is giving these guys business advice? This brewery has so much fail I can't believe it. Maybe someday they will get something right the first time instead of falling on their face three or four times and then doing what everybody told them they should do in the first place.
  20. No worries here! I will not be purchasing any of their Converter session ales for $11.00 a four pack.
    I do believe they plan on selling to all the area liquor stores soon.
  21. Arherring

Arherring Aficionado (245) Indiana Nov 10, 2009

They would be $9.99 at The Winetree. But they aren't *at* The Winetree.

Just sayin,
    drevim likes this.
  22. Adam, given the choice of four average (at best) cans of 4-5% beer, or a sixer of sub $10.00 Founders at Winetree should be a no brainer for most! I would let LL be the only provider of schwag Converter series brews If I were you.
    Chaney and drevim like this.
  23. Arherring

Arherring Aficionado (245) Indiana Nov 10, 2009

That is something that has already occurred to me.
    headyhopzhead and drevim like this.
  24. My brother who lives in Evansville told me that the owners were lottery winners and that is how they were able to start up the business, complete with the marketing team and media trimmings. Is this true?

I guess they didn't take Snowrs' advice and decided to go ahead and can anyway. C'est le vie.....

I think some cans of "Dry Cell" might serve as great April Fools Day fodder, especially for the out-of-town craft beer geek. :)
  25. bookerandy

bookerandy Savant (305) Indiana May 6, 2012 Verified

26. drevim

There have been some changes to the brewery since you were in town, Chaney. They removed Gunslingers as the food supplier. I believe the new menu is linked off their FB page. It is an improvement, in my opinion. While there is still room to better it, it's moving in the right direction. I'm fairly comfortable in saying, they didn't intend to get in the "restaurant" business, so they don't seem to have a kitchen, per se, which shows through in some of the items we ordered.

The "converter series" is better, now on it's "batch 3". Although I still don't care for the Dry Cell. The DIPA series they are doing saw V2 released this past weekend. I never got to try the V1, but V2 was a very solid beer. One I would put up against big time breweries. It seems they can do the small batch beers much better than when they scale up to the big system.

All and all, I hope they can focus on continued improvements, before they get too far ahead of themselves and start thinking of expanding markets. Indy can wait, make better beer. Still trying to stay optimistic about the next series, but hope they get it right before releasing a couple of sub-par beers just to get it out.
    headyhopzhead and Chaney like this.
  27. Alcorn

Alcorn Aficionado (130) Nov 26, 2012

I sure as hell am not going into Liquor Locker to pick it up. If you guys pass on it, it won't my feelings. You have plenty of awesome beer if I'm thirsty.
    Chaney, headyhopzhead and drevim like this.
  28. mattboyer182

mattboyer182 Savant (360) Indiana Jul 4, 2010 Verified

I had their beers on there small system before they opened and the were no different than they were on the big system. I tried their bourbon porter when it first came out in hopes that their beer was not just a series to introduce people into craft beer. Every single one of their beers is worse compared to New Belgium and Sierra Nevada's regular line ( which is largely talked about as getting people into craft beer) and honestly not as good as Sam Adams, any Sam Adams beer.
    Chaney and headyhopzhead like this.
  29. The new menu looks good. My brothers tried their small batch stuff and didn't care for it. Still, here's to hoping. Cheers!
  30. More reviews in. Totally taking a shellacking. Weird that they keep plugging away on their social media sites. My brothers told me that they've alienated everyone in town, nobody around likes the beer, ridiculously priced cans, and still the same arrogant attitude by management. I'm coming into town soon, so I'll see for myself. However, my bros overall assessment is that they need to stop canning, pack up, and leave town.
  31. rpmehling

rpmehling Aficionado (100) Indiana Mar 14, 2013

I'm from the Evansville area originally but have been living up in Muncie for the past five years for school. I've been to Tin Man a couple times since they opened when I've been in town. While the beer wasn't anywhere near the best and wouldn't be my first or second choice, I didn't think its as bad as some of you all do. I thought some of their latest small batch stuff and thought it was pretty decent. Granted, I'm completely new to craft beer and I'm still learning about the different styles.

Granted I'm only in the area every so often, I've not seen much arrogance in the place and thought most of the people there were pretty friendly.

I do love the decor.

And while Tin Man is far from perfect, I hope it and Carson's means more will come to the area and bring something back to the city.
  32. drevim

Obviously not knowing what your brother enjoys, I won't say the V2 would be for everyone. They used pink peppercorns for flavor, which was different, but I found it quite good. I missed V3 last weekend and will probably miss V4 this weekend.

Come to town and give it a go. Again, I wouldn't encourage any serious beer drinker to try the converter series. I can't speak for the cans, because I don't frequent the store they chose to sell with. the tap versions are what they are, and for better or worse, if they can bring new drinkers over to craft, and help the community to expand, more power to them.

Don't mistake owners and brewmasters arrogance with waitstaff. The group they have working there are friendly, and from what I've found pretty knowledgeable beyond the beers they sell.
    Arherring, Chaney and rpmehling like this.
  33. Will do. I, in no way, want to cut on the wait staff. They were great when I was there. I'll definitely give it another go. Also, I agree that the new menu looks really good!
    drevim likes this.
  34. drevim

I think knowing what to expect will help with a return trip. If you can get in on a Friday or Saturday be sure to stop at the bar and ask for Andrew. Booker on here.

My only word of caution with the new menu is avoid the Mac and cheese. Unless it was way off the day we were in there, it's a big pass.
    Chaney likes this.
  35. Wish I would of checked in here before I bought some singles at LL a few weekends ago. My reviews tell the story.

IMO sad story so far
  36. pilzen1

pilzen1 Aspirant (45) Indiana Dec 10, 2012

I gave them a second chance today, but was sorrily disappointed. The seasonal bourbon barreled ale had some hop aroma and flavor, but was still weak overall. I drank an IPA, which was weak all the way around, body, aroma, and bitterness. My wife started with the pils, sent it back for being too fruity and nothing like a pils. She ended up drinking one of the bourbon barrel ales. All of the beers were flat.
  37. Man, I still remember way back when starting this thread because I knew people in the area were frustrated (including me) but no one seemed to be doing anything about it (on BA, at least). It looks like the BAs of Evansville aren't taking prisoners anymore. Cheers to you folks!
  38. aasher

aasher Poobah (1,260) Indiana Jan 27, 2010 Verified

This thread is ridiculous. If they don't make beer that is worth drinking then don't go there or give them your money
  39. I feel Carsons brewery may be a hardened nail in the coffin for Tin man if they don't do something soon. Carsons seems to have been taking smaller steps opening, something I personally think may have helped Tin Man, if they had done. I thought as they(Tin Man) were beginning to be talked about publicly to opening day was pretty damn quick. IMO

BUT! at least all these bars closing in town seemed to be countered by something much better...breweries!

Best of luck Tin Man
    DreadPirateRoberts likes this.
  40. Using your own logic: In the future, if you see something on the "US - Great Lakes" forum that you don't like, don't click on the goddamn thread.
    hoosiersapper27 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.