1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

for the outdoor enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Newbiebeer, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (475) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

I picture frat boys all across the country ripping open the pack, dumping it on the bar and snorting the concentrate. All while pounding back yaygah bombs.
  2. Every fiber in my body wants to hate on it, but its kinda cool....
    checktherhyme likes this.
  3. This is the most ridiculous thing I have every seen. If you can't manage to bring along a few cans of beer on your hike then maybe you shouldn't be hiking in the first place.
    WYVYRN527 and tonyclifton36 like this.
  4. So does this mean that alcohol can exist in a non liquid form? I saw the video for the carbination bottle..I'm kinda confused.
  5. Ah, it's been done - several times within the last century or so. How successfully? Well.... ;)
    forrestbetts likes this.
  6. It's an interesting concept, but I'd much rather bring a can of beer, drink it, then crush the can and recycle it when I'm finished with the hike or whatever.
  7. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

This website and stories/posts about it pops up every once in a while and has been doing so for at least the last 3 or 4 years. As near as I can tell the company does not sell an alcoholic product and has produced zero evidence to show they actually can.

Edit: I've come to two possible conclusions:

1. This site exists to sell the carbonator bottle, and the non-alcoholic concentrates. The whole beer angle is a troll job being used to drive traffic and sales.

2. These guys actually think they can do this but haven't been able to yet.
  8. This sounds absolutely worthless.
  9. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

If I still have to carry water to mix it with, how is better?
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  10. The farther you go the less you carry. I'm not talking a little stroll through the woods here. Appropriate for long distance hiking.

Good to know its probably just a bunch of BS anyways.
  11. If you're gonna hike that far though screw powder shit and bring a flask of whiskey or something.
    kzoobrew likes this.
  12. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Astronaut beer. Like Tang, only better for you.
    ufmj and creepinjeeper like this.
  13. Now available in Ramen chicken flavor.
    creepinjeeper and ufmj like this.
  14. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

Don't be a weight weenie. Carry real beer.
  15. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

We used to go on canoe/camping trips through Quetico Provincial Park (Boundary waters)...

Whatever we brought in we had to bring out-- and weight/space was important in our packs.
    I'll be honest, I would have tried these packets if they were available back then... We usually filled a Nalgene bottle with whiskey or tequila for sipping around the evening campfire.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  16. Hiking with beer has already been improved by the addition of so many good craft beers in cans. If you can't carry the weight of a few cans of beer then you probably shouldn't be drinking beer on the hike anyway.
  17. Just take the beer concentrate packet, pour in mouth, add water, swish, swallow . . . oh c'mon you know wanna! ;)
  18. Bang34

Bang34 Savant (300) California Feb 6, 2003

Alcohol evaporates at a much lower temp than water or other solids contained in beer. 172 degrees or therabouts, vs. 212 degrees for water. Call me crazy but I believe this makes it impossible to condense or dehydrate alcohol into a powder. Why not take the "carbonator," add flavor of choice, hell, even Koolaid and spike it with a flask of grain alcohol. Or just take a flask of your chosen hard alcohol along with you without the extra weight and bulk of a "carbonator." Often the simplest solution is the right one.