1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

FORE!!!!! (New BIF Opportunity)

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Jparkanzky, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Golf is right around the corner for those of us living in the great white North. Gonna kick this out there to see who is interested in a little 2-man scramble action. Probably cap it at a maximum of 20 teams, but we'll gauge interest etc.

This isn't 'Nam, there are rules!

Here's the gist of it. Looking for teams of 2 (sorry you gotta have a friend) for a golf related BIF. 9 holes, and if all goes well, we'll make the turn and play the back-nine.

General premise:

Each team of two will put together a box that consists of 9 holes, no more, no less. Failing to play a hole is as good as not being in the BIF altogether, so if you can't meet the requirements as a group, then shouldn't sign up.

Requirements aren't that bad, they'll be listed below (subject to change if people have other input etc) I had planned on being more strict about BA score minimums for each hole, but I really don't think someone will sign up with the intent to put together a crappy box that just slides by the requirements, so this should be good enough.​
    Since this is a two-person effort, excellent trading history/vetting/etc. for one member will be necessary. You can take part with anyone else locally, but they need to sign into BA to share in the camaraderie etc. Bonus points for Caddyshack quotes/references along the way.​
    ONE LAST RULE, VERY IMPORTANT: Your two man team, whether it be in big shot, or tapping it in a-la Happy Gilmore, over a nine sitting tasting, will consume each and every beer sent to you. Beer in a cellar is no fun, drinking beer (BA Barleywines on a golf-course especially) is great fun!​

The idea: Each team of two will put together a box strictly listing the beers in terms of "this beer is hole #1, this is hole #2" etc.

Each hole will be VERY SPECIFIC.

Here's what I think right now.

Hole #1: American Sour with Fruit. "Ya fuzzy little foreigner" Name says it all. Large Format bottle/2 375's etc.

Hole #2: BA Stout or BA Barleywine Large Format (22oz or greater) BA score of 92+

Hole #3: Shelf Turd. "It's o.k. it's no big deal".... Beer that has been available on shelves locally within the last 3 months 22oz or greater.

Hole #4 Everyone loves this beer right? "Hey! We're all gonna get laid!" Something with a BA score of 98 or greater....

Hole #5 Dig in that cellar. "She's lean, mean, and not too far between" Beer from 2009 or earlier, 22oz or greater, can be 2x 12oz etc.

Hole #6 Little Guy. "Whatch-you-know Denunzio" Beer in a container that is less than 15 ounces, must be one of the following: (not all) brewery only, rated 97 or higher, or barrel aged.

Hole #7 Take a mulligan.... Send one Barrel Aged beer + The base beer it was made with.

Hole #8 Brewery only. "What's that sign say!?" A brewery only beer, minimum 22oz (can be more than one bottle or a growler) from a brewery in your home state.

Hole #9 So fresh and so green. Send the freshest IPA/DIPA you can get your hands on. In a can, bottle, growler, bathroom filled swingtop.... doesn't matter, make it fresh.​

FalconA and sliverX like this.
  2. Jparkanzky

Also, to encourage the competitive nature of folks, my team (Myself and Misterhops) will send a box to the winners containing golf related items (shirts/balls/hats/whatever) Probably some beers too, because sending a box without beer just doesn't seem right.

The winning team will be determined based on scoring from each target. Scores will be submitted to me privately, ranking each beer (hole) as an eagle, birdie, par, bogey, double bogey (hope it doesn't come to that!)

Low scoring group wins the additional box of beer/swag from our team.

Get your partners lined up, and let's start making some tee times!

sliverX likes this.
  3. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

Awesome idea. I shall begin scouting for a second to fill out the twosome. Wait...what?

sliverX likes this.
  4. misterhops

misterhops Aficionado (180) Ohio May 12, 2008

NOONAN!!!

sliverX likes this.
  5. This is fantastic. Sadly, most of my golf friends drink high life or bud light in massive quantities...and my beer friends aren't tremendously into golf. After much consideration in the last 14 seconds or so, decided I'm going to pull a beer friend into this. Will work better this way.

Besides, check me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers they're going to lock me up and and throw away the key.

sliverX likes this.
  6. Jparkanzky

What are we running here and Orphanage?!

Yes, non-golfing beer folks can join too. Your 'prize' might be some brewery logo polos etc. You don't have to be the Dalia Lama to join (big hitter the Lama)

sliverX likes this.
  7. This sounds so awesome. Any Colorado BIF'ers out there want to join me in this one? I'm in a similar situation as 45forever. All my golfing buddies don't care too much about beer.

Free bowl of soup to whomever BM's me first.

sliverX likes this.
  8. Nice hat.

sliverX likes this.
  9. I think I might be in on this, just have to confirm my partner.

sliverX likes this.
  10. gunga la gunga

sliverX likes this.
  11. And if it wasn't already clear, I'm very much in. Partner TBD.

sliverX likes this.
  12. Jparkanzky

When you guys find partners, let me know: So far we've got:

Myself/Misterhops Cleveland Oh.
    jaasen64/DonFrap Boston Mass.
    Trxxpaxx/Sliverx Buffalo NY

Tentative/waiting for confirmation/need partner

Number45forever/ ? Vermont (it's all just one place really)
    Sandman3479/? CT.
    Fishpondmanager/? Colorado
    willseph/? Illinois

We should be able to put together 12 or so solid teams hopefully, so this will stay open awhile, but track down your local BAs guys.

sliverX likes this.
  13. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Advocate (650) New York Mar 5, 2010

S

sliverX likes this.
  14. willseph

Ok, talked a buddy (ChitownBandit) into it. We're game.

sliverX likes this.
  15. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (340) New York Mar 22, 2008

Confirmed!

sliverX likes this.
  16. brees6221/ ? DMV

sliverX likes this.
  17. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

You really don't need to golf to do this, though as I read it originally I thought we were supposed to go out and play 9 holes and drink the 9 beers, as we played the corresponding hole. This is scary and awesome, I vote you do that in round 2.

sliverX likes this.
  18. Count me in

sliverX likes this.
  19. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (415) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

If anyone in the Atlanta area wants in on this, get in touch with me ASAP

sliverX likes this.
  20. Team sandman3479/Cuzco!

sliverX likes this.
  21. Oh I am all over that. Bring beer in cooler, play a hole, stop. Drink beer. Take notes. (I'm a nerd, so I'll probably bring the macbook on the course and type this up as it happens.) Then, play next hole. Drink beer. Notes. Repeat.

By the ninth hole you'll be in a good place.

CANNONBALL IT.

sliverX likes this.
  22. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Anyone in the Lafayette, IN area or not to far want to get in on this with me? I'll throw in the golf swag. Shoot me a BM.

sliverX likes this.
  23. willseph

I read it exactly the same way. Hell, maybe 9 high ABV beers would help my game.

sliverX likes this.
  24. It's a parking lot Wang! Let me see if Mnbearsfan wants to do this one.

sliverX likes this.
  25. trxxpaxxs

You gonna enter this? Would love to destroy you with beers.

sliverX likes this.
  26. Also, what were we thinking for ship dates on this? I'd suggest something a little while out so that the whole country is in golf season when boxes arrive.

I live in New England, so, this may not be till July. This is why I cry myself to sleep every night.

sliverX likes this.
  27. That was my question too. I'm trying to finish up the Barrel Aged Goodness 2.0 BIF and will need a little time to recuperate afterwards (monetarily, anyway). May/June timeframe would be the earliest for me.

sliverX likes this.
  28. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (565) Florida Aug 11, 2012

I'm going to try and recruit another FL BA to partner up with here as I love golf. If I can't find one, oh well I guess the world needs ditchdiggers too............

sliverX likes this.
  29. sign us up Jr. Mnbearsfan and I will reprosent MN.

sliverX likes this.
  30. johnyb

Alright, found my playing partner. Dr. Beeper wasn't available, so how about Danny Noonan? BigGene and I will represent Central Florida if you'll have us. We want two strokes a side though, just to "keep it fair, keep it fair"

sliverX likes this.
  31. Fudge, you need 2 strokes just for BigGene's girth.

sliverX likes this.
  32. johnyb

He comes in handy in case the Judge needs help finding his checkbook.

sliverX likes this.
  33. Intersted if anyone from nj is.

sliverX likes this.
  34. someone team up with Martin123012, he needs to be in on this.

sliverX likes this.
  35. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

Hmmm...... DOODIE !!!!! :eek:

sliverX likes this.
  36. Liking the look of this one so far, just as long as I don't have to send Gene a shirt again....

37. Shipping window? Or what are the details for shipping?

sliverX likes this.
  38. trxxpaxxs

Lol. $90 shirts for everyone!

sliverX likes this.
  39. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

You lost me already.
    :(

Have fun doodz!

sliverX likes this.
  40. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

This seems like a really cool idea. Let me ask my buddy to see if he's interested. Would this turn into something similar to the Blind Beer BIF (minus the blind part), where we reviewed the beers and posted them in the hauls thread?

sliverX likes this.