1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Forge Brew Works Lorton, Va

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by SwillBilly, Nov 5, 2013.

1. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Savant (495) Virginia Feb 4, 2004

Stopped in new brewery Forge Brew Works in Lorton over the weekend. They've been open for 3 weeks now brewery on a 1-2 bbl system until there 10 bbl system arrives. Good, solid beers. About 8 beers on tap in their tasting room. Really liked the Roggenbier, Oatmeal Stout and their series of single hop IPA's (Centennial and Nugget with Warrior due up next). They also had a Belgian Pale, a session IPA, and an Abbey Ale. Good to see a new brewery that's close to home and not out in Loudon or Prince William County. Tasting room open on Friday evenings and Saturday afternoons. No food.

2. Been there myself 4-5 times now; they had a cranberry saison for Thanksgiving that was OUTSTANDING. Their oatmeal stout is excellent. Nothing much to look at (it's in an industrial park), but the beer is coming out strong, and the operators are super-nice.

3. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Savant (495) Virginia Feb 4, 2004

I've been a 3 times now and I give them credit for trying to put as many beers on tap as possible, but the consistency just isn't there yet. 1st time Oatmeal Stout was really good, 2nd time not so much. The recent Nugget IPA smelled of rubber and tasted medicinal. Maybe they should concentrate on making a few good beers instead of making as many different styles as possible. Also, tasting room prices a bit high in my opinion. 6.00 for a 13 oz pour or 8.00 for their specialty beers, including two session strength beers. I wish them luck.

4. raveskdr

raveskdr Savant (390) Virginia Oct 10, 2009

Their stuff is definitely getting better. They did a single hop galaxy that was fantastic. It will be nice once they get their new system and they will be able to start putting (more) beer into the market. So far, only Light Horse in old town has their beer.

Matt and Kerri are good people.