1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Former Avery Brewing Company employee accused of stealing $15,000 worth of rare/vintage beer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Mebuzzard, Feb 16, 2013.

1. You know he's on BA... I would love to see his ISO:FT's.
  2. AcidulatedMalts

AcidulatedMalts Initiate (20) Feb 16, 2013

So let’s try to clear up some questions. Everyone is an expert of course. As far as value estimates go, the papers got it right and wrong. The police based the value of some of the beers not on info from Avery or any experts, but on what this guy actually sold them for on eBay (Isabelle and apparently 1 barrel-age series beer from Avery for $100). Of course that’s not the original value of the beer, but its what someone actually paid to get it. It appears the papers and other news outlets took that value and sorta ran with it. They applied that value to many other varieties that are worth good money, but of course not that much. It’s clear that some values per bottle were overblown, but the total $15k figure is not far off base. We are talking 50+ cases of rare one-off beer plus six pins and three half barrels. As far as why Avery had Isabelle? Well Adam Avery was one of the 5 brewers to create that collaboration. This guy raided Adam’s personal cellar. Some of the beers were made by Avery and some were gifts he had been given by friends in the industry. Apparently there is evidence to show that this thief tried to sell the beer not only online (successfully in some instances), but also directly in the market to accounts in Colorado. Personally I hate thieves and I am glad he got busted. I am also stoked for Avery that they got at least some of their beer back.
  3. Never trust a bearded guy that's into beer. Oh wait...
  4. is there interwebz in the county jail?
  5. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Sounds like Avery either or both boost the value for the insurance payout or to charge him with a worse crime. Or maybe the news station just got it wrong.
  6. One of my worst craft beer experiences ever.
  7. That's because karma's a motherfucker.
  8. Supposedly he is on RB, someone there knows him yet refuses to name names.

Either way - if you are Adam Avery - don't you have some of that stuff under lock and key where rank and file employees don't have unlimited access?
  9. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Serves the e-bay selling bastard right... allegedly:p
    terrapinfan88 likes this.
  10. I gotta think however they were managing this, is NOT the way they are managing it now.
  11. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

That's right. It only tastes good if you deserve it.
    terrapinfan88 likes this.
  12. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (200) California Aug 30, 2007

Don't fuck with Adam i guess.
  13. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

If you think about it to the people writing, shooting, and reading the news its all the same shit to them. They needed 60 seconds of something menacing enough like theft to jolt an old guy awake:eek: until they can get to the 7 minute story about congress's latest opinions on steroids in professional sports. Beer is beer you heard the man he's never even had a 3 dollar beer. I've payed twice that for adjuncts at the bar. The man drinks Fosters oil cans for gods sake. They aren't gonna get close ups of the things we all want to see because to them its all the same.:(

ISO: Cutting room floor pictures of the cellar from Avery to put in a very hidden very dirty folder on my hard drive.:oops:

also ISO: A picture of said BA's face when he moves back in with his parents after 7 years because the legal fees and bail money, have really cut into the cellar fund.
    Duff27 likes this.
  14. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (170) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

Didn't you realize those are two completely different beers?
  15. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I see what you did there ;)
  16. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I still have a bottle of infected Black Tot, is that worth $300 to somebody?:confused:
  17. Update:

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...0-000-stolen-beer-Fort-Collins?nclick_check=1

Police officers tracked rare, stolen beer from a warehouse in Boulder to an eBay account and then to a popular Fort Collins restaurant before finding the cache in a basement, tipped off in part by an unusual signature: “Hellvis.”

Records obtained by the Coloradoan show Adam Dickinson of Fort Collins is accused of stealing nearly $30,000 worth of rare beer from his former employer before selling some of it online, giving some of it away and trying to sell the rest to a local restauranteur who grew suspicious and called police.
  18. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Now we're up to $30,000?
  19. And who do you think put the values on the beer? The police? The news department of the TV Station?
    Or maybe it was the brewery that owned the beer. Higher value put on the beer = better insurance settlement.