fou foune for take-away

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by yinzer, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Ha, compliment accepted. I feel your pain everyday.

Good luck to everyone in your Fou Foune search! It will be worth it...

2. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (425) California May 19, 2006

Visited today. Still bottles available at a 2 bottle limit.

3. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Good on you, enjoy! It's a wonderful brew.

4. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (425) California May 19, 2006

Thanks! Was great meeting you and having beers and conversation yesterday! And thanks for all the great beers!

5. Went yesterday and they were allowing a full 6 bottles of Fou Foune!

doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  6. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I am going on Saturday. If any locals want to meet up, shoot me a message.....(I might bring a bottle of Bourbon County with me....)

7. Duffman929

Don't know if it is just on weekends, but there was a limit 2 on Fou today. Good thing I made friendly with four Brits that were there and didn't want any bottles....:cool:

8. yinzer

yinzer Savant (395) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Can anyone clarify how they bottle? I was listening to the interview of Jean on TBN and I seem to of heard that it takes them months to bottle a run. I also heard that the bottles will evolve as time goes on.

9. Duffman929

Anyone been to the brewery lately? Is there any left? I was there at the beginning of the year and there was still some left. Info would be great. Thanks!

10. DStoked

DStoked Savant (330) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

Shopping for your buy-in Kevin?

11. I haven't been to the brewery since October but I would be shocked if the still had any for sale at this point. Honestly I would be more fired up for the new 50n 4e that should be bottled soon or that clay pot fermented lambic Jean has been working on. Fou Foune is great but not the be all end all of lambics.

12. 3 weeks ago they still gave fou foune!!

Duffman929 and tendermorsel like this.
  13. Duffman929

Thanks. I was hoping there was some lingering around. I am probably going to go the first Sat of Mar. They are doing open brewing! I hope I am still in Europe when the 50N release happens.

14. yinzer

I've mentioned this before, if anyone sees Jean before I do I'd like some clarification. But in an interview Jean said that (not sure what beers that this pertains too) not all of the fruit beers are bottled at the same time. And that the later ones are more complex. Again, I'm not sure the depth of his comment.

15. Duffman929

When are you going? I'll try and ask when I go in 2 weeks, but they are brewing that day, so they might be busy.

Anyone else thinking about going on Mar 2nd? If so, shoot me a message. I'll make sure to bring along some beer taste.

16. SStein

SStein Savant (400) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

Stopped by there today to pick up a few random bottles while out shopping with the family, and they were sold out of Fou Foune. They did have some St. Lamvinus for take-away. So scored that. They were also in the process of bottling. Yay!!!!

17. Are the bottle priced comparable to the US prices?

18. SStein

SStein Savant (400) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

I don't know US prices as I never actually saw Cantillon stateside. However, at the brewery is by far the cheapest place I have seen any of their beer anywhere. I got 3 bottles of St. Lamvinus, 3 Iris, 3 Cuvee de Champions, 4 gueuze glasses, 4 tulip glasses and t-shirt for 100 euro.

19. No the brewery is significantly cheaper than prices in the US. Talking like 8 euros (so like maybe $15?) for the more expensive stuff.

20. Yeah... You will not find it cheaper that at the brewery.

21. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

the highest price i paid for a bottle at cantillon for take away was 9 eur for a lou pepe kriek. drink in, i paid 14 for a 2012 zwanze.

22. Fou Foune has been bottled about 2-3 weeks before Borfets the last 2 years (early sept). Two years ago they had freshly bottled LP Kriek while last year they did not. Because of this I doubt they do all fruited lambics at the same time. In general the beer is ready when it is ready. I stopped trying to guess when Cantillon bottles/releases stuff a while back. It just varies too much.

thepeter likes this.
  23. Duffman929

The exchange rate sucks, but it's not that bad! That's worse than the pound!

24. Fair enough. I'm not visiting any time soon and didn't feel like really doing math. :)

25. yinzer

Just remember, No Reason

26. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,010) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Hmm what would they tend to have in early July when I'll be in Brussels? I'm really looking forward to trying everything they have at Cantillon's even if I don't take any away.

27. We still waiting for the 50N40E! So maybe in may/june/july

doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  28. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

I'm hoping for August, but only because I'm very selfish!

29. They are very quite about it at the brewery!!

30. yinzer

Well if 50N40E is released on Sept 17th, then this thread might never end. Think about it :)

31. I still have some Fou Foune in my private collection and willing to trade for some US gems :)

32. knucks999

knucks999 Aficionado (190) Colorado Sep 30, 2008

Anyone know what other specialties are available at Cantillon now?

33. I'm coming next week if anyone wants to trade/meet up for some beers!

34. I can vouch for James. Rock solid BA and it would be totally worth it to talk trade with him and or meet up for pints.

Jnorton00 likes this.
  35. You're a gentleman and a scholar Tender!

36. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

I might have to take up your offer on this. Especially if i cant find a bottle before May. Ive got a few goodies from the states here. Mostly big American style stouts. Otherwise i have a Founders Bolt Cutter Barleywine that i will trade :)

Duffman929 likes this.
  37. You know where to find me if you want to set-up a trade :)

38. How did the 50N release work last year? Released at the brewery, one per customer? (we are sooo used to that concept in the states)

39. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (620) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Wasn't it last released in '07 or '08?

40. Yeah, 2 seconds of research iindicates it was released in 2007 and distributed to the US by Shelton Bros in 2008.