1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

fou foune for take-away

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by yinzer, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Hahaha...I like this guy, he has balls!
  2. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

We are definitely going to be in Brussels 3 July - 6 July. At least one of these days we'll spend hanging out at Cantillon.. I can't imagine they still have any 50N4E left based on reading the threads on BA, but anyone know what's available there right now?

And does anyone want to do an IP trade in Brussels? Help me out with my packing ;)
  3. rood

rood Disciple (50) Belgium Jul 15, 2011

Two weeks ago:
    - Lamvinus
    - Vigneronne
    - Lou pepe Framboos
    - Bruoscella
    - Gambrinus
    - 50N4E
    - Regular geuze & kriek
    Wowcoolman likes this.
  4. Stevedore

Cool thanks- hopefully I can have some 50N4E to try even if they don't do it for take-away. I assume Fou' Foune is all gone and nowhere to be found in Brussels at this point?
  5. yester

yester Disciple (55) Netherlands Apr 30, 2013

try Moeder Lambic, probably gonna find Fou'Fone for a hefty price there.
    back-in-the-days delirium had a pretty good and fairly prized selection of sours, not sure if that is still up to date after their basement wholeover
  6. rood

rood Disciple (50) Belgium Jul 15, 2011

Actually, in Cantillion Bar there is 50N & Foufoune & Zwanze 2012 & Geuze from the year 2007.
    So, you can taste it for sure...
    Stevedore likes this.
  7. riko

riko Savant (255) California Jan 18, 2008

I was there last month and they charged 30 euro, onsite or takeaway.
  8. Stevedore

After browsing through different bars' lists, I think I am going to just drink 'loons at the source. Speaking of which, I know you pay 6€ for the tour and 2 pours, and then its 2€ for more pours after that, but how big are these pours?
  9. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i'd imagine somewhere in the neighbourhood of 250ml, though i've only bought bottles to drink in there. more than likely, you won't mind in the least.
  10. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Haven't been there in 7 years, but it was somewhere around 250ml back then i'm guessing. Wasn't 2oz or anything. Well worth going to.
  11. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

seriously. you won't regret the pour size. it's gonna be better and cheaper than anyplace else.

if you want to drink 'loons, drink them at the brewery. until the brewery closes. then go to moeder lambic. basically just drink anything at moeder lambic you can't get at the brewery.

edit: yes, even faro, it's worth trying once, but it's a style i truly despise. your palate may differ.

edit 2: don't pass on the standard tap/cask fruit lambics either; the 'cuvee moeder lambic' versions are drastically different from what you taste in the bottle. way more funky and less sour.
    MrKennedy likes this.
  12. Not that the full pours of gueuze and kiriek are pricey either - 3 euros. I spent about four hours there last year and was forced to take a cab to the Brussels Zuid station since I was walking like a crab. Cabbie looked me funny because it's labout a half-mile or less.
    7clutch likes this.