Fou Foune in LA

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by PeterJ, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterJ

PeterJ Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2012 California

Fou Foune is at Valley Beverage in Sherman Oaks. Maybe more will show up in the LA area

2. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Pooh-Bah (1,636) Sep 25, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What are they asking?

3. ficklenicholas

ficklenicholas Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2011 California

$35, but he told me i just bought the last one.

Pays to live close. I saw that post and was there and back in 10 minutes...

4. queens1130

queens1130 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 California

Saw this and couldn't leave work bc I was training students yet again.. Oh well. Nice score ficklenicholas!

5. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I saw this post at 4 and thought traffic would be a bitch from Mid City. Grats on the score though.

6. ficklenicholas

Thank you and Cheers! Who knows maybe he says that to everybody and just pulls another one from behind the counter...

7. mrbubbler

mrbubbler Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2008 California

I dropped by after school to pick up my supposed bottle of fou foune that was on hold. Turns out he "went to lunch and someone sold the bottles". Pretty suspicious that he wanted to know if i was the guy coming from palmdale like he still had bottles left .... A little honestly would have saved me 45 minutes in traffic.

8. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Pooh-Bah (2,211) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah

Thanks for the tip. Hope to see some hit O.C. (not holding my breath)

9. trancesk8er

trancesk8er Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 California

Hey i'm the guy that was coming from Palmdale. I wouldn't be suspicious of Valley Beverage. Peter is an honest beer geek/store owner. I talked to him last night upon arriving and it seems that he made a honest mistake on the number of bottles he had left. By the time I arrived they were out of bottles obviously, and Peter gave me the bottle he set aside for himself. Thats true devotion if you ask me. I sympathize on driving long distances to find bottles are gone. If you doubt that, then let me reiterate that I live in the boonies of Palmdale which makes it EXTREMELY difficult to make it to beer releases once the stores post they have something on Facebook before they are all gone. In addition queens1130 was the geek that informed me of the release just in time to secure one ..effectively preventing herself from obtaining one before getting off work, thanks nicole! Though you were inconvenienced and disappointed from the drive, I would ask you please not hold his staff releasing bottles while on lunch against this quality store owner.
    I have yet to try this beer and of course plan to share it with others as I always do (nicole back me up) and gladly invite you to join as well when the time comes.

Cheers

10. mrbubbler

When i called he still had two bottles, and It's not like the fou foune was on the shelf. Its very easy for you to post a positive review, you got your bottle. I know when he went outside to take your call that i had been screwed over. My drive wasn't nearly as bad as yours granted but it still took me 45 minutes to get to his store and another 40 minutes to get home, I have every right to "hold it against him".

11. mrcraft

mrcraft Grand Pooh-Bah (3,322) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't know what their hold policy is, and I realize an honest mistake was made, but it sounds like the owner should have done more to rectify this situation. Perhaps, allowing mrbubbler first dibbs on something desirable in the future. The owner obviously had that bottle set aside for himself when mrbubbler went in, but wasn't offered it. It doesn't sound like true devotion to me, more like selective devotion, or even favoritism.

This place was recommended to me, so I'll still stop by when I'm in the area, but I think the owner could have done more in terms of customer service, and not have a dissatisfied customer, let alone a dissatisfied BA customer posting his experiences.

12. queens1130

queens1130 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 California

Hey everyone, it sounds like it was an honest mistake where probably employees weren't communicating & they lost track of what was left or had on hold. I'd probably chalk that up to "everyone makes mistakes". I also called when they had 2 left but decided to let it go knowing beer karma would come back to me in another form. Heck there's so much good beer out there why lose hair over this, right?

On the positive side, it's awesome that Valley Bev posted letting us BAs know they had a tasty tasty loon or 2 available for purchase. I'll continue to check & see what they have, hoping Foune drops in other stores with the same mentality as Rollzroyce21. For anyone that's never had it, I'd take up Corey (trancesk8er) on his offer. He is a generous dude & has helped me several times in tracking down a particular Stone beer as well as sharing in good beer revelry, cheers!

13. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I've had this happen to me on more than one occasion at several different kinds of stores (not just beer). While it sucks, I always go into it expecting something similar to happen. I always tell friends who gloat about having a sought-after item on hold at a store that until they have it in their hands, then they don't actually own it.

14. mrbubbler

He did offer to make it up to me with some bottles he had in the back. It was a generous offer but I already had multiples of what he was offering but thanked him regardless. But i agree with you on every other point you made. The fact of the matter is that he still had a bottle in the back and lied about it, then gave it to someone else. I also understand that it was a mistake and mistakes happen. Its how the situation was handled that frustrates me. I still purchased 2 bottles of fantome saison before leaving so not all was lost... I will be very reluctant to return.

15. ficklenicholas

Peter has always been open and honest in my dealings with him.

16. mrbubbler

Peter has been very persistent about making this up to me and i finally took him up on an offer i couldn't refuse. While i can say i am still very bummed i did not get a bottle, i am happy to see a retailer really step up to the plate after a mistake like this. Kudos.

Skuter, huadog and mrcraft like this.
  17. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (1,050) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Some hit SD today.

18. Cerveza

Cerveza Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2012 California

2 of my local beer stores had it and lost them within a few hours.

Sucks too because I know for a fact they had them held for their friends instead of customers.

19. getinked

getinked Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2012 Ukraine
    Deactivated

Picked up a bottle yesterday in LA county. All 6 are gone now!

20. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Are friends and customers mutually exclusive? When I'm friends with people who run beer businesses, I tend to be a pretty good customer too.

albertq17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.