1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders All Day IPA in Cans/12pks this Summer

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Mar 28, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., March 28, 2013 - Founders Brewing Co. announced today that they plan to release their craft beer in cans for the first time in their fifteen-year history. The brewery will put its warm weather seasonal, All Day IPA, in 12 oz. cans that will be available in 12-packs across their distribution footprint this summer.

“Especially in our recreational home state of Michigan, cans are a very functional package,” said Co-Founder & CEO Mike Stevens. “It means people will be able to enjoy our beer at golf courses, marinas and while hiking or camping. And we think All Day IPA works in a can particularly well.”

The brewery did extensive research to find a canning line that delivers a sealed container meeting the same quality standard as what comes off their bottling line every day.

“For this new canning line, we turned to the same manufacturer of our bottling line, world beverage industry leader, Krones. We are 100% confident in both this line and this package,” said Vice President of Operations Brad Stevenson.

All Day IPA will be the only Founders beer in cans to start. More Founders products may make their way into cans in the future.

For information on the states in which Founders is available, as well as details on their 2013 beer lineup and release calendar, visit www.foundersbrewing.com.

About Founders Brewing Co.
    Established in 1997 by two craft beer enthusiasts with day jobs and a dream, Founders Brewing Co. has made a distinctive mark on the craft beer community by brewing complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics and tons of flavor. Founders is one of the fastest-growing craft breweries in the nation, currently ranking among the top 50 largest craft breweries in the U.S. The brewery has received numerous awards from the World Beer Cup and the Great American Beer Festival, and its beers are often rated among the best in the world by RateBeer and BeerAdvocate users. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders is a proud member of the Michigan Brewers Guild and the Brewers Association. For more information, visit www.foundersbrewing.com.

###

[​IMG]
    HOMEPL8, KS1297, Cubieblu and 26 others like this.
  2. I'll wait for TH in cans.
  3. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Juuust beat me to the punch. Just finished reading about it.

I'm super happy that Founders is putting stuff in cans ... it's too bad that it's just All Day, though. My least favorite Founders beer. :(
  4. ISO: All Day IPA can koozie
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Very much I like this. Big All Day IPA fan.
    Steimie, mjshearer1 and DrewCapzz like this.
  6. BottleCaps80

Eventual FIS cans (hopefully) = tight jeans.
  7. BottleCaps80

Yeah...I'm so glad that both Bell's, and now Founder's, will be releasing canned beer!
  8. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

Hot damn, Now to get a lawn.. and a lawn mower and properly abuse this factor!

Wait scratch that, Concern beer! Come at me Jones Beach 'Buffet shows.
  9. BottleCaps80

I really wonder what the price point will be on a 12pk of ADIPA cans? Considering a 6pk of bottles around here is usually $9.99...I'm guessing that a 12pk will be $18.99 or so. Steep!
    kal4478 and spartanfan like this.
  10. I think $15.99 would be a more likely price and at that price my fridge will be stocked with all day ipa cans all summer.
  11. BottleCaps80

Yeah...if it is around that price. I will be at the lake with All Day cans all summer long!
  12. You would think that the cost savings should be passed on to the customer. Otherwise, just let them sit on the shelves. If they want a premium price for their product, demand that premium packaging be used.
  13. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I'll take "Centennial in a can" Mr.Trebek.
    Thank You.

Cheers
  14. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Don't forget that canning lines are extremely expensive.
  15. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Awesome! and the cans look great.
  16. phooky

I'd love Double Trouble in cans!!
    kal4478 and elgiacomo like this.
  17. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

While I do like the increase in canning as of late, I do wish they would decide to extend this to Centennial or DT. I understand and appreciate them canning session beers, but ADIPA was not my favorite. I'd rather buy a couple 4 packs of Torpedo pounders for the same price.
  18. Yeah, they're going to have to pay that off. I think the best strategic move would be KBS cans next winter.
    hallandoates likes this.
  19. Sweet! A $20 12 pack!
    KS1297 and SunDevilBeer like this.
  20. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

All Day IPA is WAY too expensive for what it is. I'm curious to see what this 12 pack retails for
    Longstaff and MrGreengenes2 like this.
  21. I want FBS, FIS, Centennial and Porter cans.
  22. Agreed. Although I picked up my first six pack to try and throughly enjoy it, why should I pay the same for a 4.7% abv beer as a 7% + or - abv beer.
    lic217 likes this.
  23. phooky

I can't believe just how excited I feel right now that Founder's is going to begin canning.

Is anyone else surprised that their first can decision is a new seasonal?

I would have expect the core year-round brews to be given this treatment first.
  24. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

I'm assuming that you think that bottles are superior to cans? I would think that cans are the superior packaging when it comes to a session beer.
    sliverX likes this.
  25. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I don't care too much about the ABV, but I wasn't very impressed by the taste. I thought it was OK, but didn't really have much going on. It honestly just seemed watered down and thin. I'm sure it would be great on the beach in July, but it was pretty forgettable this time around. PS - I've seen it in stores around here for as high as $13
  26. I've been seeing six packs go for $12-13 near me. Terrible price for a beer like this.
    BleepBloopBlap and willbm3 like this.
  27. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

They came out of left field with this.. cool idea, awesome beer, but I'm also curious about the price point on the 12pk too..
  28. they will be great on the golf course. cans are lighter in the bag and dont tip over and spill.plus the low abv will keep my game a little less sloppy if you know what i mean!!!!!
  29. broodog

broodog Savant (325) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

Nice work, Founders. A few 12 packs of this, to share with some friends around a fire pit. Brilliant!
  30. lftwng4

lftwng4 Aficionado (220) Ohio Oct 12, 2007

Yeah, looking forward to this for sure. Hope it's not too expensive, but I will suck it up and make it my "go to" beer when camping and the like.
    mjshearer1 likes this.
  31. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Awesome news. I love this beer, and to be able to easily have it come along with me in a tube floating down a river will be pure bliss.
  32. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

Perfect for the beach! Sorry I forgot to search for your thread prior to reposting...
  33. alelover

alelover Advocate (560) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

perfect!! i know what beers coming with me on a lot of fishing trips this summer.
  34. This could be my official vacation beer. Hope it hits MA before July.
  35. I can see it now, sitting in the boat this summer while drinking some All Day. Cant wait!
  36. rangerred

rangerred Savant (400) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

This is awesome news! Makes me wish even more that Founders distributed to TN. Looks like a trip to Asheville will be in order.
  37. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

38. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

I bought a 6 pack yesterday for 8 bucks! Get me some cans!