1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders All Day IPA: Secret Ingredient Corn

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bbeane, May 21, 2013.

1. bbeane

bbeane Savant (350) Pennsylvania May 10, 2009

Any one want to weigh in on this? Is it bringing to light that Founders is using an "untraditional" ingredient as stated by the Brewers Association or just proving that a good beer can actually be made using corn?
  2. oooh that's crafty. But seriously, as long as you enjoy it, why would anyone care?
  3. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Agreed.
    Flaked maize (corn) can be a good addition for a session brew, even if it is an 'adjunct.'
  4. taste. thats what I weigh in on this.
  5. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Believe it or not, adjuncts are quite prolific in English bitters. ADIPA could arguably be an aggressively hopped Best Bitter.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  6. Corn extract? The travesty!
    Jnorton00 and brureview like this.
  7. I have no problem with adjuncts if used properly. You might be surprised at the use in some beers.
  8. Coffee is an adjunct. Cocoa nibs are an adjunct. Fruit is an adjunct. Maple syrup is an adjunct. Vanilla beans are an adjunct.

Adjuncts aren't necessarily evil.
    emyers, lic217, musicman7070 and 32 others like this.
  9. It's clearly used "to enhance rather than lighten flavor." ;-)
    JackHorzempa, Chaz, Ericness and 2 others like this.
  10. Many reputable beers use corn, Rodenbach Grand Cru for example.
    BedetheVenerable and BrettHead like this.
  11. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Pliny the Elder uses corn sugar for christ's sake. Some craft beer drinkers need to realize that adjuncts aren't always bad.
    frazbri, acevenom and tommyz like this.
  12. mcomben

mcomben Aficionado (220) Michigan Dec 2, 2008

Kuhnhenn's DRIPA uses rice (it's what the 'R' in the name stands for) which would be considered an adjunct. I suppose that may bother some people, and if so they can leave the DRIPA for me.

...seriously though, leave the DRIPA for me.
  13. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Wrong. The secret ingredient is...

love. <3 <3 <3 all you guys! Cheers!
  14. mcomben

mcomben Aficionado (220) Michigan Dec 2, 2008

I should also point out that I'm currently obsessed with All Day...just a great beer.
  15. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

I still love it.
  16. Corn. Oh the humanity.
  17. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

It could be made with turds as long as it fucking tastes good.
  18. Does the beer taste good? If the answer is yes, I don't see a problem.
    brureview likes this.
  19. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

20. I actually don't like this beer.
    However, no problem with corn. I tasted some very good corn malt beers- low ABV, in Sweden.
    JimKal and harperman69 like this.
  21. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

I'm sure you all would be just as understanding if GI put out a corn-containing light IPA, right? ;)
  22. Scatology and beer usually don't mix well, unless it's a reference to the undrinkables.
  23. Hop_juice

Hop_juice Aficionado (100) Wyoming Mar 27, 2013

So their being innovative?
  24. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

While that exists, the bigger problem is the opponents of the BA's craft definition trying to play "gotcha" with every beer who uses corn.
    herrburgess likes this.
  25. Posts like this put me in mind of Harold Bloom's essay on "the anxiety of influence." If U.S. craft beer can eventually manage to emerge from its anxiety about resembling BMC in even the remotest possible way, it may finally come of age and mature.
    jmw and Jspriest like this.
  26. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Tolerance of adjunct use is inversely proportional to brewery size.
  27. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

28. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

This is probably the single most positive thing I've seen posted on this forum.
    mikeburd1128 likes this.
  29. Is it GMO?
    Providence and Nutwood like this.
  30. Not according to the definition of "adjunct" as used in the brewing industry, which is:
    Since these contain fermentable sugars, they could be considered adjuncts as well as often used primarily as a flavoring agent, if added before fermentation.
  31. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Founders should just be lucky that they're not in Bavaria in 1516, otherwise they'd be SKROOOD.

There's really nothing wrong if you're using corn to balance out a recipe or achieve a certain flavor profile. The problem (at least in my mind) is if you're using a ton of corn to make a cheap beer.
  32. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

Precisely. If it were revealed that Heady Topper is made with adjuncts, any brewery not using adjuncts would be crucified.
  33. I get your drift, but as Jesskidden pointed out, technically, adjuncts are ingredients that add to the fermentation process. From Beer101 on this site: "Malts (and adjuncts) provide the fermentable sugars that are required to make beer..."

So, yeah maple syrup and fruit can be adjuncts, depending on how much goes into the wort, but coffee, vanilla beans and cocoa nibs probably aren't since they wouldn't provide enough sugar to ferment appreciably. There's a difference between flavorings and adjuncts. "Adjunct", in beer making, is not synonymous with "addition."
  34. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Belgians are already have us beat here..
  35. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

You can make excellent beer with adjuncts and awful beer without them. Corn and rice aren't bad adjuncts just because they've been used in mass market American lagers.
  36. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Was this back in the 90s or earlier?
    brureview likes this.
  37. Benish

Benish Savant (470) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Almost 40% of the US crop corn is used in ethanol production in the US in 2011. Doesn't surprise me ;).
  38. LIKE the one from weasel POOP, thank you, you arrogant bastard Mikkallar ...wait..mikellar....Mikkellars Beer geek Brunch....
  39. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I thought All Day was people.
  40. Man, does anyone think that the addition of rice to Budweiser "beneficially compliment(s) or suppliment(s) the principal brewing material"? By this definition none of the Macros use adjuncts IMHO.