1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders All Day IPA vs. Lagunitas Daytime IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Jan 8, 2013.

?

Which session ipa do you prefer?

1. Founders All Day

24 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Lagunitas Daytime

24 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I know it's still winter, but I was just wondering, which of these fantastic brews would you rather have to get you through the warm summer days? (or anytime for that matter).

2. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Havent day Lags Daytime IPA but i did enjoy a decent amount of All Day Ipa while playing some bags this summer. Easy to drinkg and a lot of flavor for such a low abv beer. Tasty stuff

3. I still want to try the All Day. Never had a chance considering it's limited distribution. Lagunitas is pretty good, but I'm going to write in Brau Brothers HopSession Super Pale Ale. (At least before the carbonation issues)

4. I'm gonna write in Drake's 1500

I mean, this latest fad of "session IPA" is just a clever way to market APA's; since IPA's are the hot selling craft style right now, am i right?

hophead247 and afrokaze like this.
  5. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I thought that initially, but now l think they are different. The session IPAs are more resinous and punchy with the hops, whereas APA's strike a better balance.

WYVYRN527 likes this.
  6. I have not had a Founder's IPA but I can tell you that I absolutely HATE Lagunita's Daytime. I had at it on tap at the Wild Colonial in Providence and I was severely let down - maybe that's cause their other beers are so damn good? Who knows?

All I know is that I'll be having a straight-up IPA on my warm summer days! Who needs this "fractional" IPA bullcrap anyway? Sack up and enjoy the hops, that's what I say!

CMUbrew likes this.
  7. IDK. Lagunitas' Daytime felt/tasted more water downed and overly floral to me - certainly not a balanced beer in my mind. It could have used a fuller body or something to balance it out. It felt like I was drinking half a beer when I had it!

8. sacrelicio

I agree, not balanced, but that's what I was saying. Session IPAs are not balanced (more hoppy) and APAs are more so.

9. ... both...

InlandTaipan likes this.
  10. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

I haven't had the founders, but bottled daytime was much more impressive than keg.

11. Stupid question. They are both Godly sessionable hoppy styles from great breweries!

12. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Both are great, but I definitely give the edge to Founders. Both smell absolutely wonderful and better than alot of regular IPA/DIPAs. But Founders tasted better and had bolder flavors, while Lagunitas felt a little watered down in comparison, IMO.

13. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I preferred All Day. I'll echo what was said earlier about session IPA's--much hoppier and resiny than a lot of IPA's out there. Writing them off simply because they have a low ABV is kind of ignorant.

14. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

By definition, IPAs are not really supposed to be "balanced". They are supposed to be more "hoppy". Just sayin. If you're looking for more balance, drink an APA or an amber.

15. I enjoy both, but was really blown away by the aroma on the Lagunitas, so I'll give it the edge.

16. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Do you enjoy boogers from your left nostril or right nostril better? GO!

Cugabuh likes this.
  17. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I preferred the Founders All Day.

My personal favorite sessionable beer is Zombie Dust.

18. We actually had a discussion about this a while back. My personal end conclusion was the Lagunitas DayTime smells INCREDIBLE, but tastes watered down in comparison. If it stopped there, I would have no problem buying it all the time because it was still a tasty brew. However, the ridiculous price will likely keep me from every buying it again. It was like $13/6-pack.

Haven't tried Founders yet.

19. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (325) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

I tried All Day and liked it. I also tried the Lagunitas in a blind taste test and didn't recognized it as an IPA, along with other people I was with.

20. All Day IPA hands down. Daytime had the signature Lagunitas aroma - which is amazing - but I was bit let down by the mouth feel. It was just a bit too watery and thin. All Day IPA was a revelation for me this summer. Just a fantastic, hoppy, sessionable brew.

(I also consider Victory's Summer Love as part of this category and it falls somewhere between these beers)

21. jminch

jminch Savant (400) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

I've had both and like Founders other brews much better, but on these particular beers I go with Lagunitas. However, if asking about my favorite low ABV IPA, I'd go with a write in candidate, Fathead's Sunshine Daydream.

Tucquan likes this.
  22. Resinous and punchy, like say, Drakes 1500, Maine Peeper, Row 2 Hill 56, Zombie Dust, or FW Pale 31.

They're just hoppy, and definitely tasty, APA's to me.

23. Founders All Day LONG

24. Ive brought a sixer of both All Day and Daytime on the golf corse with me. Its almost like thats why those beers were made. Victory Summer Love being another good example "Golf" beers.

25. sacrelicio

I'm sorry if I am not being clear, but that is exactly what I have been saying.

johnsonni and SenorHops like this.