1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders at Champane's (MI)

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by DeviousSpirits, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Champane's in Warren is blowing out their Breakfast Stout four packs for $5.99. Additionally, I noticed there were TEN Bolt Cutters on the shelf, too, at $18.99 each. Forget the hate, I bought another one at this price. Couple this with $6.99 for Narwhal and a fresh batch of Maharaja - I love you, Champane's, but my wallet certainly doesn't.
    Tek9ne and fishtremble like this.
  2. Tek9ne

Tek9ne Aficionado (120) Michigan Feb 20, 2013

Just went there to pick up the bolt cutter, 3 were on the shelf.. Grabbed 1.. Thank you for the post
  3. t4haughton

t4haughton Zealot (95) Illinois Jan 24, 2013

That's a great price on the FBS. I can't wait till this comes back in 6-packs. Has to be one of the best values out there.
  4. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Geez I'd buy a case of FBS at that price. Don't really care if its getting old.
  5. I haven't researched this much, but I'm almost positive it's illegal in Michigan to sell beer or wine below cost.
    Breakfast Stout costs $7.17/4pk from the distributor (at least in Oakland county, but I assume it's pretty similar in Wayne).

Anyone know more about this? I think you can petition the Commission to sell below 'shelf minimum' for liquor (not sure about beer/wine), but I think it's used to 'close out' a product, as in discontinuing stocking a particular product and not to get rid of 'old' seasonals.

found the below quote here under question 15: http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-17337_20942-134114--,00.html

Under the Liquor Control Code, alcoholic liquor may not be sold below the "minimum retail selling price" set by the Liquor Control Commission. Spirits must be sold at a mandated price while beer and wine may not be sold below cost. MCL 436.1229
  6. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Somehow I doubt a big place like Champane's is intentionally violating state liquor price laws.
  7. I talked to a buddy of mine from another store, and he explained to me what likely happened here. Yes, invoice is over $7 a 4 pack and it's illegal to sell it under that. However, the distributor can lower the price, but they must keep it at that price for 6 months. Since this beer won't be out again for > 6 months, they're in the clear, next year it will be back to its regular price.

The beef my buddy had is that the distributor basically unloaded all of their remaining stock on Champanes at quite a bargain. Champanes was then able to advertise a great sale and drive traffic. It was not, however, offered to other accounts, including my buddy's store, for that price. He of course would have loved to sell Breakfast Stout at $5.99 a 4-pack.

Founders likely wanted it off the shelf at this point of the season, told the distributor to unload it at a discount, and the distributor sold all of it to a single large account at a slashed price.

My apologies in advance if other accounts were indeed offered it at this price, but I've not heard of it.
  8. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I went and bought it from my regular store today for $8.99. I figured loyalty to my regular places is worth less than a buck a beer. Even at regular price, it's still a nice price and, as someone pointed out above, when it comes in sixers next year it'll just be that much better in the value department.
    JohnB87 likes this.
  9. They were wheeling out more cases of FBS to the floor this afternoon, still $5.99 per 4-pack.
  10. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Picked some up at Trader Joes for $5.99 today. Score!
  11. Yeah, looks like it was offered to more than just Champanes after all. I heard Fairway Sav Mor has it for $5.99 as well.
    brandonpeiffer likes this.
  12. Received Champanes email blast - I had to reread the subject multiple times to make sure that it actually said they got 70 cases today. Insanity.
  13. It's called a post-off and its pefectly legal to lower a price for as long as they want for a minimum of 6 months. Our distributor is nowhere near out, they had way to much to "end" the season so a post-off was necessary in order to not have it in the middle of the summer when the demand is greatly lessened. Everyone had the opportunity to buy some, trust me there was more than enough.
    fishtremble likes this.