1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Backwoods Bastard, any sightings?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by LiquidCourage, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Now that Harvest Ale has arrived in New England... any Backwoods Bastard sightings?

How does the availability of Backwoods Bastard compare to Breakfast Stout, Devil Dancer or KBS?

2. Similar quantities to KBS and Devil Dancer. It does go out on the shelves but I'm not sure how long it lasts there. I was able to buy two cases last year easily.

3. It's usually an assload more than KBS. The entire greater South Shore region got 36 bottles of KBS last year - 1 4-pack per store, for the lucky ones. Backwoods Bastard isn't quite that limited, and also not nearly as popular.

It's probably closer to Devil Dancer. Not hard to land a 4-pack if you stay on top of it, but not exactly swimming in it like FBS.

This is also a beer that trades easily for locals, for anyone who likes to go that route...

4. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

i just saw on Julio's in Mass FB page the got some in and its a one 4pk limit and they got some breakfast stout in as well, im in CT and we're still waiting on BCBS so im not holding my breath for Backwoods Bastard:mad:...CHEERS

5. A couple package stores in CT (Meriden and Cromwell) told me that they expected BCBS and Backwoods Bastard sometime in mid to late November.

6. seplo

i hear ya, but the BCBS was already suppose to be on the shelves, i dont take package stores word unless i talk to a salesman for the distributor, we've all heard it before, by this rate IST will be out before those 2 get to the shelves.....CHEERS

7. Yeah, I'm not really holding my breath. However Valencia over in Meriden does seem to maintain a steady supply of Breakfast Stout (they were able to get me a case), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they come through on the Backwoods.

8. But I thought AB/Inbev distro was going to be nothing but good? :D Sorry, that's a drum I'll keep banging. Or a broken record I'll keep playing, however you want to state it.

Backwoods Bastard at Julios- sounds like they only got a couple/few cases, so I'd be suprised if any was still there by end of the weekend. Likely even sooner with the way things have been lately.

Got my 4pack all set... perfect beer to follow up the cleanup of the massive OAK tree that came down in my yard this week!

9. seplo

aparently the have some in BUT theyre waiting to get more in before they distro it:mad:

10. seplo

by this i meant the BCBS

11. FYI, Backwoods Bastard is at Ball Square Fine Wines.

BobCobb likes this.
  12. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Do you know what they were charging? Singles/4pks?

13. BobCobb

This is legit. $4.14 after tax. 2 bottle limit. Also Sucaba on the shelf at $16!

14. yeah, i keep walking in there, seeing the Sucaba, and passing. i probably should go back now and get it now that you've spilled the beans!

just did pick up a couple of BBs, but $4.14's a little rough, no? that's 16 bucks a 4pk... isn't it normally like 12.99?

15. Don't bother heading to Julio's for Backwoods. They were out of it around 6PM. Last year it was easy to get 2 4-packs at the same time when they got it. Seems like it's a combination of all things Founders getting gobbled up and MA not receiving as much as we used to. Good luck in finding it elsewhere everyone.

16. BobCobb

Yeah, I knew it was a tad high. But really, when it's $4 instead of $3.25, and I can walk to the bottle shop instead of driving all over hoping I make it in time, it's worth it to me.

And as far as Sucaba, you know you should have bought it already. :)

17. oh yeah, exactly - i am like 2 blocks away and i'm happy to pay it. they just normally don't price gouge there, so i'm just a little surprised it was that much.

18. It has arrived to Vermont!

franklinn and zgunder like this.
  19. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Savant (280) Connecticut Jan 30, 2012

I work at the store in Cromwell mentioned and we spoke with Dichello a couple weeks back about the BCBS and they said we would receive our shipment late November. Anyone that pays attention however would know that Southern CT always gets their limited releases before us up here in Central CT. As for myself I skipped the Bullshit and went to Deciccos 3 weeks ago and got some BCBS. Lastly, I just saw some Backwoods Bastard on the shelf in New Haven County today but opted for the Harvest Ale as it was wiser to get the IPA now rather than wait another week or 2 for it to hit my store and be less fresh. Hooray for me!

20. Where abouts in New Haven county?

21. Amity in New Haven got about a case in, as well as what looked like 5 cases of FBS

22. Craft Beer Cellar tweeted they got one case

23. seplo

I guess i was wrong about the backwoods bastard, my boy smutty33 just got some at MO's in fairfield, but still not holding my breath for BCBS

24. seplo

yeah man it sux, but i also heard it from the salesman down here when it originally was suppose eto come out, to me its not the stores its the salesman giving inaccurate info, thats the reason for my hold my breath comment...CHEERS

25. Redstone Liquors tweeted they have some.

Ganglani likes this.
  26. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Savant (280) Connecticut Jan 30, 2012

Ah now I get u. Salesmen...says it all.

27. If anyone is really desperate for BCBS, they could drive an hour south from New Haven on I-95 and go to the portchester beer distributor right on the border where they had 4 cases of BCBS just sitting there at a good price ($25.99) and limited one 4-pack or one case per customer.

28. tpww7

tpww7 Aficionado (180) Connecticut Jun 26, 2007

They got a case of Harvest and Backwoods. Not much left if any on either.

29. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Anyone know if NH will see any?

30. Pretty much every store in Boston that moves any material Founders volume got a case. Some 4pk limit; some 2 btl limit. Bauer might still have some if you're in need. Also, I talked to Yankee Spirits and they had a case in Sturbridge as of last night. So if you're out that way.

31. I have about a case and a half of KBS left and I would like to get 2 cases of BWB to watch the two brothers grow up together over the years and see how they mature :)>)

32. BUGK08

BUGK08 Zealot (95) Maine Jun 14, 2009

2 cases left at Madden Beverage in southern Maine.

33. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

14.99 a 4 pack up here in VT. It's around, though :)

34. Hunger Mountain had 4 cases when I was there earlier. Picked up 4- 4 packs at $14.99 each.

35. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Dammmmmn I'd better grab more when I can. They posted on their facebook yesterday that they got in 10 cases, I'm pretty sure...

36. There was 4 on the floor by the cold beer case. They could have more out back.

37. bootdown21

bootdown21 Savant (405) Connecticut May 14, 2009

Wegman's in Northborough, MA had some as of Friday night. $12.49 a 4 pack, no limits. I think they had a case or two still left.

38. It's at The Bier Cellar in Portland, ME as of Friday(IIRC).

39. Picked up a 4-pack at RSVP in Portland, ME on Saturday, just sitting on the shelves with at least a few more. $14 for the pack, no limit or anything.

40. Sitting on the shelf in central Vermont. Was surprised to see price of $16.99 per 4-pack, a good $3-4 more than what I've heard from others around BA. I still picked up two 4-packs. Now, I'm picking up a case at hopefully a lower cost from my normal store. Should be picking that up tonight.

I loves me some Backwoods Bastard. Probably ended up drinking about 3 cases of last year's release.