1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Backwoods Bastard, any sightings?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by LiquidCourage, Nov 1, 2012.

1. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Bev Warehouse in Winooski

2. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

Yay! Harvest and backwoods bastard hit central CT today.

[​IMG]

3. Arenbeer

Arenbeer Savant (285) Connecticut Apr 23, 2009

Where might that be pjs? :)

4. Nikkis Liquors in Rhode Island had several cases.

5. I'm curious also, as I work in central CT.

6. I picked up a 4pk at Table and Vine in West Springfield, MA yesterday.. at the time there was one 4pk left on the shelf but Im pretty sure they bring a little out at a time so they still may have some

7. Harvest is sooo nice.

8. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Its gone now. :-(

9. Are you serious?!? It lasted less than a day?

10. Granite Liquors has a bunch - but at single bottle limit ($3.99), it's hardly worth the drive/effort for me to get there. I had a work meeting down the road from there is why I know.

2 bottle limits are/were bad. Now this single bottle limit?? Come on - they had over a case when I was there on Wednesday for those curious...

11. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Sunset Grill menu showing Backwards Bastard on tap as of 11/6.

12. I really don't see the problem with single bottle limits. Some of these limited releases are coming in at 1-2 cases nowadays, sometimes even less. Why make 6-12 people really happy when you can make 24-48 people happy? Plus at this point these limited release beers are basically just loss leaders to get people into the store to buy other stuff.

It also has the added bonus of lasting a little bit longer - you don't need to rush down to the store within hours of the release, as most things will sit for a few days at 1 bottle per person.

I really like the way Granite handles limited releases, and I wish the "1 bottle limit" shelf became a thing everywhere instead of hiding things.

nathanb47 and dbexpert like this.
  13. Carl's in Kittery, ME. $14/4 pack. They also still have 4 or 5 cases of Bfast Stout at $9.99/4 pack.

14. I totally agree w/ you here and see the value from the store's point of view.

again - very true point and something I have benefited from more than once.

This is where we differ. I'm a consumer. If I have money and want beer and you say no, you can't buy that I'm a little put off by it. Perhaps it's selfish of me but hey, that's the way I feel.

it's been discussed over and over and it is what it is. I still enjoy shopping at Granite and their selection is outstanding....but they will never be the 1st place I go for a limited release unless they are the only game in town. Kappy's sold me two, 4-paks of Backwards Bastard and for cheaper per bottle. just saying......

15. deanhead

deanhead Savant (490) Vermont Sep 2, 2005

Sighted on the shelves of the Brattleboro food coop for ~15.67 a four pack.

16. Got a 4-pack yesterday at Julios - it was a consolation prize as they blew through 3 cases of Cantillon while I was driving like a madman trying to get there after the snowstorm

17. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

I was just at Nikki's and they still have Backwoods Bastard along with Harvest Ale. The cases are stacked in the back near the wine cooler. I also stopped by High Spirits and they have both in stock by the case.

18. it's on Prime 16's in New Haven too

19. Liquor Depot in New Britain had some a few days ago

20. Backwoods sighted in Eastern Connecticut as well as with Harvest. Both drink VERY well!

21. dbexpert

dbexpert Savant (300) Massachusetts Sep 27, 2008

We did NOT have over a case. You are making shit up. It is not appreciated. We work very hard for what we get. If you do not like it shop else where.

22. It can be found at New England Wine & Spirits in Newburyport as well. Sorry but I don't remember the price.

23. Anywhere in Boston still? Or is it all gone?

24. PhilLesh

PhilLesh Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jul 30, 2007

Super Phipps in Westfield + 1 lonely 4 pack of Harvest

25. ScottieD

ScottieD Savant (430) Connecticut Jul 30, 2011

In CT on draft at Plan B in Glastonbury.

26. Backwoods Bastard is on the shelf at Branford Wine in Branford CT today.

27. Wyoming package in Richmond, RI has plenty of it

28. I picked up two singles at Barb's Beer Emporium in Londonderry yesterday. I don't know how much they had left. The 4 pack was pricey at $17.50. they had Harvest ale at 9.99 a 4 pack too.

29. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Had a glass on Friday. Thought it was too young. Probably gonna crack a bottle tonight and see if it tastes any different. The 2011 I had last week was damn good though.

30. DanE

DanE Savant (420) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

Wholefoods in Glastonbury.

31. A&P in Old Lyme had some as of this past Sat

32. This may not help, but Picco has bottles for $6.75. Delish too!

wdarcy77 likes this.
  33. good lord. $6.75?

34. Perfect for an after lunch dessert.

35. oh, my bad. that's a restaurant. that's actually not bad. thought that was a liquor store and i was scared. serves me right for assuming!

36. Picco is a restaurant. That's actually a solid price for a bottle for on-site.

37. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

Yeah get your ducks in a row, kimosabe.

38. AndrewUVM

AndrewUVM Aspirant (35) Nov 21, 2012

At least a case on shelf at Fairgrounds Wine & Spirits in Danbury, CT yesterday.

39. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Look at that old Ruination... Such a shame.... :-(