1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Backwoods Bastard

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by A2HB, Nov 21, 2013.

1. A2HB

A2HB Aficionado (130) Michigan Oct 30, 2013

"Expect lovely, warm smells of single malt scotch, oaky bourbon barrels, smoke, sweet caramel and roasted malts, a bit of earthy spice, and a scintilla of dark fruit. It’s a kick-back sipper made to excite the palate."
    • ABV: 10.2%
    • IBUs: 50
    • Availability: November
    http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/backwoods-bastard/

Anyone had any of this year's batch yet? Is it even available? Sounds really tasty to me. ISO starting today...
  2. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I got my case. It's as good as always, although the last couple of years I didn't catch any smoke where the first time I tried it, the 2011 batch had a touch of smokiness. Still, great beer that is worth tracking down.
  3. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

This was released at the beginning of November, and there've been mountains of it available FT in the last few weeks.
    SpyderMan14 likes this.
  4. Great beer and worth trying to find some.

Between friends we have around a 18 bottles left. Pop 1 or 2 every weekend. Love this time of year ( I say that every month)
    admobeer34 likes this.
  5. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Savant (470) New York May 14, 2013

Just got a 4 pack this time around. Probably will get another one or two in the next few weeks. I was spoiled by having it on tap a few times; it's just luscious on tap.

My advice: don't just open and drink, at least not the whole thing. Let at least half of it sit and warm up.
  6. Had it on tap a few weeks ago, first time trying it, it was stellar. One of my new favorites.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
  7. MikeT77

MikeT77 Savant (295) New York Jul 2, 2010

Always loving the BWB. Such a great beer for this time of year. Picked up a case of 2013; still have a 4pk of 2012 and a 4pk of 2011.
    ERRL710 likes this.
  8. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

So, you're saying it's available in November, has 50 IBUs and and ABV of 10.2%? o_O
    ironchefmiyagi13, Diotima and BruChef like this.
  9. In Minnesota it was here and gone in less then a week. I didn't get any. It sounds like some states got a lot more then others.
    mnphish likes this.
  10. A2HB

A2HB Aficionado (130) Michigan Oct 30, 2013

Yeah sorry about that, I don't know how that happened with it going on there multiple times like that, it didn't look that way when I posted. Oh well

Well glad to hear it's out and available at places. I haven't sen any at my usual store I'll have to start looking around some other places.
  11. We got another case in at my store this week. It doesn't fly off the shelves like I expect it. Love it though and scooped up some for me.
  12. Hopheadhiker

Hopheadhiker Savant (300) New York Mar 21, 2013

I have gone through two 4 packs already and have some tucked away in the cellar. One of my favorite annual releases from any brewery. I usually do not refrigerate and just open right from my cellar. Great stuff.
    Rekrule likes this.
  13. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Been out and around. Multiple shipments have come and gone. Sits on the shelf in some places. I've bought a case atleast so far. Love it. One of my favorites and something I look forward to every year.

Word of warning, it's not really great to age it, IMO.

Been trying to drink through my 4 packs from last year. Fresh taste so much better.
    Ace_of_Suds likes this.
  14. core42

core42 Savant (470) Michigan May 5, 2010

I've bought two 4 packs of it on 3 times over the past couple of weeks. It's out there in MI
  15. Andreias21

Andreias21 Advocate (505) Florida Feb 3, 2011

I'm on the opposite end of your spectrum, I had a 2009 recently and it was stellar, which is why I have a case in the back of the closet to wait around for a while.
  16. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Savant (380) Texas Oct 15, 2006

So good! This is the first year I've had it, and I was floored.

Just an awesomely done beer.
  17. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Savant (345) Georgia Dec 6, 2009

It was far less limited in Georgia this year, they even got second shipments in. I lucked out last year by finding a 4 pack stashed behind a bunch of stuff, that was 2 days after it hit market, 2 weeks this year and it's still in stock on shelves. I'm hoping this is good news for 2014's accessibility of KBS and any future backstage series releases!
  18. MikeT77

MikeT77 Savant (295) New York Jul 2, 2010

Question for everyone else - the case I've picked up, plus between 6-8 other 4pks I've picked up for others - didn't have the Founders logo on the cap. It was just a simple, plain black bottlecap. Did tey run out of branded caps and use unbranded ones? Or are all Backwoods Bastards capped like that this year?
  19. great beer, they don't make enough for it for me to enjoy anymore. Missed it the past two years. Had a bottle at the bar the other night. They make just enough for me to be made that I can't have more, its more of a tease than anything. I want at least a few four packs, so I can pair a couple bottles up with a nice cigar.
    Boomblaze and abaculy like this.
  20. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (320) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Always one of my favorite beers, year after year.
  21. yes they ran out of caps, all of their beers bottled around that time had plain black caps.
  22. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Got my four pack the week it came out. Great stuff but it's such a big beer I don't drink a ton. The four pack is just enough to satisfy the craving for me.
  23. shnsajax

shnsajax Savant (285) Texas Jul 2, 2013

First time to have it tonight. I would say I like this better than FBS. Curious as to which one people would prefer over the other.
  24. Been lucky to find it several times in Orlando for the first time and happen to be drinking one right now. Having this and Breakfast Stout readily available in Florida has made the Holiday season so much better.
    sicilian likes this.
  25. core42

As was mentioned there was a period of time where all brews had just the solid black cap including the 4 pks that I had of Harvest Ale along with BB. The 4 pks I have now & am seeing at the store all have the Founders cap back on them
  26. MosinMan762

MosinMan762 Aficionado (110) Ohio Oct 21, 2013

This year's is also the first time I had it and it immediately moved into my top 5, maybe #1. I truly believe it is the perfect beer. I had an opportunity to buy a case when I got my 4 pack but I passed it up due to cost, and not knowing if it lived up to the hype. Of course I haven't seen it anywhere since, and that was weeks ago.
    I must add that this past Saturday after watching UFC, drinking an Enjoy By bomber, a six pack of local IPA, a Anchor Christmas, and several cheapo beers I decided to have a Backwoods as a nightcap at like 2am... talk about feeling like total crap the next day. Ouch!
    admobeer34 likes this.
  27. completely different beers.
  28. I liked fresh more also, but maybe more time will make it even better. I do Bigfoot tasting every year and they get stail and boring at a certain stage and taste amazing a year later. Love the process of finding the sweet spot. That is why I have an awesome cellar.
  29. Sold in a day here... If you can get some stuff up there (back home for me) I'd be willing to give up a 4pack or two. None of the bourbon county beers get here, new glarus, and I do miss surly!!!!!! Be nice if schells did some barrel beers!!! Maybe they do now idk
  30. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

Still some in D.C. Good stuff, can't decide if I prefer this year's or last year's.
  31. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Listen to this. If you listen to people who tell you to age it you will be sorely disappointed.
    FATC1TY likes this.
  32. JT99125

JT99125 Savant (290) New Jersey May 7, 2013

I have not yet seen any of this in South Jersey. sad face.
  33. Jjski

Jjski Aficionado (135) New York Nov 2, 2013

I wonder if people are finding out about this and demand is up? Last year there were multiple cases in Rochester for months. I suspect there will be another distro coming. It's not really a "Limited release" , but worthy of all the acclaim.

An excellent, easily obtainable ( until this year) bourbon barrel wee heavy,
  34. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

I have not a single clue how beer distribution works, clearly.

The stores 25 miles from me got this almost a month ago. The stores in my town just got it this week.....

One or two stores have it marked at $14.99 each! Ouch!
  35. TheJessica

TheJessica Disciple (50) Virginia May 24, 2013

The distribution here to Virginia was pretty limited, but we had the option to buy it 2 weeks ago and the distributor had already sold out of it by the next week :-/ I've noticed a couple of local Total Wines still have some in-- I'd suggest the Tyson's Corner or Springfield, VA store for those looking for it here in VA. I've not noticed anyone with it on tap though :( I shake my fist at the lack of kegs! ;-)
  36. core42

In SW Michigan I see it for 11.99 almost everywhere but we have one place that has it at 14.99
  37. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (260) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

They're $14.99 in my area, every store. However, one store does have it for $13.99 as they just got a bunch in.
  38. $13.99 in OH at 3 different places I've seen it.
  39. turbotype

turbotype Savant (325) California Nov 5, 2013

2 different stores in southwestern PA.
  40. I paid 4.69$ a bottle... Yours isn't anywhere close to being an ouch!!!!