Founders Black Party 2013 (4/20)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by saemick, Apr 10, 2013.

1. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (415) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Devils cut is at 3 according to friend/server.

2. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (565) Michigan Dec 16, 2011 Verified

Regular KBS is back on tap.

3. kylelenk

Someone just said it was Devil's? Not sure. Tastebuds are about paralyzed at this point.

4. npaauwe

npaauwe Zealot (95) Michigan Jan 23, 2012

Are there still pint glasses? What's your fav thus far?

5. kylelenk

Fav....maybe KBS. Love it. Panther Cub is Fav new beer. I mentioned earlier, let it warm up a bit. Flavors come out after about 15 minutes. I love frangelic stout but couldn't really pick up the bourbon in it. Not sure if this was due to barrel duration (if it came out of the batch that was brewed in the past 6 months) or if the nitro mutes it.

6. kylelenk

Looks to be boxes of glasses still by the door.

7. mjshearer1

Sad to report that after overhearing a staff member, there will not be CBS on tap for this party. I thought that would've been a given, but apparently not. They will be tapping another Devil's Cut KBS around 4 though. Will definitely be getting that, and highly recommend anyone else here to do so as well.

8. kylelenk

Founders posted taplist had only Panther Cub and Doom as class-3 initially and FIS and FBS as class-2s Obviously there is quite a bit more that they didn't initially post. Anyone who would say they wouldn't be disappointed in that is simply lying to themselves. I'm here and the taplist is better than originally posted. But, like all BAs, I'm crying my eyes out that CBS hasn't been on tap all day. Forget Founders. They are so lame (unbelievable sarcasm going on here).

9. I'm glad the tap list turned out as is it. I think I we can agree this is a pretty solid black party. I just don't like the crying about the tap list before the doors have even opened. Give them a chance. (We all know CBS is past it's prime)

craigo19 and Steimie like this.
  10. npaauwe

CBS will be there.

11. mjshearer1

Fact or wishful thinking? Pretty sure it won't be, per my previous post.

12. kylelenk

Didn't mean to sound dicky or complain about the taplist pre open. Just felt a little let down as they posted the whole taplist last year right away. CBS is a great beer but by no means the only Founders beer worth crying over. Solid tap lineup indeed. Can't wait to see what comes out in the next couple of hours.

13. I agree with that. Lets hug it out later.

14. npaauwe

They released a new batch in Nov. it's black beer party. I bet at 6pm it gets busted out. All in all wishful thinking.

15. CPditka

CPditka Savant (295) Illinois Dec 19, 2011 Verified

Devils cut on tap. Will be gone soon. Unreal beer. Panthers cub and razz are my favs other than devils cut. Wow!

16. wizzy

wizzy Aficionado (185) Michigan May 20, 2006

I'm back home already after a very fun time. Arrived right around 11am, but didn't make it through the doors until 11:45am or so. Headed outside and managed to make new friends from SE Michigan who had a table (right next to the Boba Fett sticker with a view of the new experimental tanks) and were soon joined by new friends from South Bend (who live under some weird Man Te T'eo cloud).

My late 60's uncle and I tried a variety, staring with our free tier 1's of rye stout (undistinguished but tasty) and porter (x3 over time). Followed over the next several hours with Panther Cub, BA Frangelic, BA party stout, Black IPA, BA Black IPA, razzledazzle (or whatever it was) and my favorite, Devil's Own/Cut (Thought it was Own from our server but read Cut here, or vice-versa). KBS, Imperial, and Breakfast were all on as well but did not partake. Sad to leave shortly before the next release of Devil's at 4pm but could not mess with the wife transportation wagon.

Very solid day, and props to the Founders crew for keeping things moving along and providing a very fun venue for amazing beer.

craigo19 likes this.
  17. npaauwe

What is this Devils Cut?

18. wizzy

wizzy Aficionado (185) Michigan May 20, 2006

KBS aged for 2 years rather than 1.

19. mjshearer1

Heading home now. Great time at the brewery as well as meeting kyleenk and GRDave and his wife. Devil's Cut KBS (which, as I understand it, is a 50/50 blend of this years KBS and 2011 KBS aged for two years) and Razzleberry Stout stole the show. IMO, much better party than last year up to this point. Will be interested to see what they bust out the rest of the day/night.

kylelenk and wadepressel like this.
  20. landrewg

landrewg Savant (270) Michigan Nov 11, 2008 Verified

How long is the wait to get in?

21. Seemed like about 40 minutes to get in. Not bad at all.

22. I thought Founders did well. I drank at least 32oz of the Devil's cut. 16 oz of the reg KbS. The Raz was great, the BA Frang was awesome, and I enjoyed the nitro oatmeal as my session beer.

23. MHowdy

MHowdy Zealot (85) Michigan Apr 29, 2012

International breakfast stout just tapped. One of the best so far. Breakfast stout with hazelnuts. Amazing.

raymo55 and ROBSTARR like this.
  24. Agreed, the International Breakfast Stout is so top notch, so much chocolate, but not super sweet, and very smooth.

25. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Panthers cub was awesome, so was devils cut.

26. mjshearer1

I knew I would regret leaving at some point, I just didn't realize it'd be so soon...

c64person likes this.
  27. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (400) Michigan Jan 7, 2012 Verified

International breakfast stout was great. Devils cut is amazing. Drinking KBS and waiting to see if Devils Cut goes back on.

raymo55 likes this.
  28. here's hoping, I didn't get any the first round!

29. younglukemoney

younglukemoney Disciple (55) Texas Apr 20, 2013

Black party was sick. Not as much experimental stuff as I've seen before but still some really tasty beers.
    BA Black IPA
    BA Frangelic stout
    BA Party stout
    BA Porter (Panther Cub)
    KBS
    Devil's Cut KBS
    International Breakfast Stout

30. Devil's Cut is back on tap people and its damn amazing!

mjshearer1 likes this.
  31. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (360) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

85% Devils Cut, 15% Razzleberry Stout = Bramble BCBS on steroids.

raymo55 and mjshearer1 like this.
  32. Otis

Otis Aficionado (130) Michigan Oct 9, 2012

Devils cut went back on at 8 and is still going strong. Absolutely amazing brew.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  33. JohnB87

My Facebook check-in:

I just pooped in the restroom at the bus stop and was heckled by 4 African-American gentlemen while in the stall. Upon stating my love of deadly weapons, nobody in the place looked me in the eye as I walked out gingerly. — at Founders Brewing Co - Tap Room.

raymo55, c64person and adamdd like this.
  34. adamdd

adamdd Savant (340) Michigan May 9, 2011

Founder's did a nice job with this year's party amongst the construction chaos. Great beers were on all day, and the rotating special beers were excellent. I would have liked to have waited around for the International Breakfast, but the two Devil's Cuts definitely ease that "pain". Solid event that should remind everyone that we are lucky to have Founder's.

raymo55, decadance and c64person like this.
  35. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Had a great time, and I thought Founders hit it out of the park with their taplist today. Great to meet Matt (mjshearer1)...still owe you a beer. The Devils Cut was outstanding. Didn't care for the Intl breakfast stout, although wasn't expecting hazelnut. Was told that it was double coffee/chocolate. Too sweet for me. Cheers to Founders for a great party. Gonna stop by again on Sunday to fill some growlers with the left overs on tap....if there's any left

mjshearer1 likes this.
  36. Razzleberry? Say what? I don't see that right now!?

37. JohnB87

International tasted like an expresso version of breakfast stout; didn't even taste hazelnut.

38. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (495) Utah Jul 12, 2012 Verified

Sitting here with Otis. Devil's Cut stole the show! What's CBS?

founder26 and mjshearer1 like this.
  39. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Razzleberry came off around 5:30. Tasted like a mix of party stout and rubaeus. Good shit

40. JohnB87

A little bit of razzleberry goes a long way. I put some (also read: "a little") in a glass of "Devil's Cut" and it was amazing!!!

raymo55 likes this.