1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Founders Black Party 2013 (4/20)

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by saemick, Apr 10, 2013.

1. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (360) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Meh, Devils cut pretty good, that's about it, get the class one whenever - not special, later, gonna go throw out my cbs.
  2. landrewg

landrewg Aficionado (210) Michigan Nov 11, 2008

Motherfucking Founders. I got in line at 745, got near the front by 805 and some guy slapped up the devils cut sign. A cheer went up from all of us in line. There were 7 people in front of me but when I placed my order they were out!!
    Fucking motherfuckers. How is that even possible?
    I know some of you will call me an asshole but I am really pissed right now.
  3. adamdd

adamdd Savant (330) Michigan May 9, 2011

Chill out. Take a deep breath. Order something else. Drink it. Enjoy it. Pace yourself. Devil's Cut may come back, or if you don't act like an dbag maybe someone will share some with you.
    raymo55 likes this.
  4. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I think you pretty much nailed it
  5. monitorpop

monitorpop Advocate (505) Michigan Oct 28, 2007

Great Black Party this year. Here are the descriptions of International Breakfast Stout, KBS Special Reserve (Devil's Cat) and Panther Cub from Founders:

[​IMG]
    cfrances33, raymo55, ROBSTARR and 2 others like this.
  6. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Devil's cut was SO much better than the description!

Edit: Sorry... "special reserve"
  7. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

So then Devil's Cut isn't a blend, it's just 2012 aged for two years?
  8. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Thanks for posting this Mike. Clears up a lot of misinformation, even some stated by myself. Can't wait to see what next years black party will bring us.
    mjshearer1 likes this.
  9. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Solid day indeed.
    Devil's Cut-easily stole the show and it's great to see Founders pivot from making CBS the "big beer" of the day. Razzleberry-was a big surprise and absolutely crushed the Raspberry Oatmeal Stout they did earlier this year.
    Panther Cub-wasn't impressed at first and felt it was served a little cold. Held on for about 30 minutes and it began to really develop when warmed up. Probably biggest transformation I've witnessed in a beer when warmed. Vanilla/maple/oak were a bit muted when that cold.
    International Breakfast Stout-was delicious and great to see it return (believe they had it as International Frangelic Stout along time ago, wasn't on nitro).
    BA Frangelic Stout-Frangelic Stout has been my favorite taproom class-1 and really introduced me to Founders. I'm a big fan of nitro-stouts as session beers and was a little let down on this one. I've seen Frangelic on tap twice in the last 2-3 years and I'm wondering if this was a shorter age (from this fall's batch) or if the nitro just mutes the bourbon out.
    BA Party Stout-Likely last years Party Stout aged for a year. My review of Party Stout last year was a pretty basic oatmeal/smoked stout. Imagine that in barrels. Good but not quite as big as their other BA beers.
    KBS-Doesn't necessarily need comment but it was great to see how available it was today. I was easily able to get three or four pours.

My only complaint was the lack of class-1 or class-2 specialties. Enjoyed the glass but had a difficult time finding use for the class-1 pour ticket. Black IPA was really the only new beer as they had Rye Stout on tap for quite awhile this winter and correct me if I'm wrong but weren't most of their class-1's all black beers last year? Weird to see Doom on tap....maybe just a timing thing? I'm sure the expansion has contributed to this and I'm hoping the new pilot system they've been tweeting about allows for more experimentation for events like this.
  10. tommyz

tommyz Savant (450) Michigan May 28, 2007

The sentence I bolded in the last paragraph made me laugh..Not at you..Its just the constant complaints that founders never has tier 3 beers on and now someone points out the lack of 1 and 2...lol...

Im sooooo disappointed I did not go...sigh
    Steimie likes this.
  11. Panther Cub- I agree that as it warmed, it got significantly better (not that it was bad to start).
    International Breakfast Stout- Great taste, but there is no way I could drink 2 of them.
    BA Party Stout- Not amazing, but went down smooth and could easily drink 3 without blinking.
    Black IPA- Honestly, having had KBS/CBS/etc several times, this my favorite new beer for me of the night. Huge hops and fantastic taste.
    KaiMundwiler likes this.
  12. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Just pulled in to Founders now. Hopefully a good amount of taps are leftover.
    raymo55 and tommyz like this.
  13. kylelenk

Only complaint but it was minor! Let's hope next year they're able to really break it out after the expansion. I woke up thinking they did a great job with the party without having very many "new beers." Outside of Panther Cub and Razzleberry, you could argue most of the specialties were slight variations of relatively taproom common beers. Very different from last year where you had Rock Me Like a Maple Cane, Blackwoods Bastard, BA Berserker, Baby Nilla Porter, Party Stout, Rye aged Rye, etc.
  14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Aaaand? You sippin on some International BS all by yourself?
  15. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I thought they don't open until 3 on Sundays?
  16. I had a blast last night--my friend who is a sales rep for Founders invited me down.

Devil's Cut was tasty. Did not care for Party Stout at all, but was pleasantly surprised by Doom. I had a regular Double Trouble as well which was great. Panther Cub was smooth. Frangelic Stout was a sweet bomb, but I dug it.

Cheers to Founders for putting on one hell of a show!
  17. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I think just because it is Founders....many of you are just forced into complaining about something and feeling entitled to more! Can anyone just go places to be around great friends while drinking great beer without bitching about a tap list??
  18. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I had a great time last night! It took some awesome friends to twist my arm into coming down....but the Devil's Cut was more then worth the trip.....what an amazing brew!

Also enjoyed the International Breakfast Stout and Panther Cub.
    adamdd likes this.
  19. GRDave

Around a month or so ago, they began opening at 11 on Sundays.
  20. GRDave

Do they still have any on tap from yesterday?
  21. wizzy

wizzy Aficionado (165) Michigan May 20, 2006

I think it's noon on Sundays; no table service for food, even before 3pm. I was in there last Sunday grabbing my Doom bottles and by 12:45 every table was full.

22. steebo777

With a couple buddies. Taplist is KBS, Doom, BA Frangrlic stout, BA Party stout, Panther Cub (FUCKING AWESOME) and the rest of Class 1 and 2 from yesterday.

EDIT: Just put on Maple Bourbon Black IPA !!!
  23. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I was there with my family for lunch right at noon, Doom, Panther, BIPA, Frangelic, KBS and Party stout were the class 3's at open.
  24. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Damn why didnt they tap that yesterday?!
  25. steebo777

Don't know but it is damn tasty!
  26. mjshearer1

By the way, they still have a lot of stuff leftover:

Anyone who says they never have good taplists can promptly eat a dick.
    MSEGUIN, craigo19, Tee2Grn and 8 others like this.
  27. kylelenk

Any news on whatever happened to Belfast Car Bomb?
  28. monitorpop

monitorpop Advocate (505) Michigan Oct 28, 2007

Based on the description sheet, that was the BA Frangelic stout.
  29. mjshearer1

Yeah, I have to assume that the tap handle had a different name than the board. I wasn't paying close enough attention to see what was poured out of it when I ordered a flight of the Class 3's.