1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Founders Bolt Cutter 15th Anniversary Barley Wine

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by joshrosborne, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

So trolling is using sarcasm to make a substantive point? I guess you're a troll then (see bold).

Levitation and Knifestyles like this.
  2. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (365) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

Nope, not quite. Maybe you should look up the definition of trolling. He was trying to get the exact reaction that he got with his initial comment. He was waiting for someone to respond so he could quickly come back with his opinions on people hanging on to beer and trading up when "value" increases. My sarcasm has nothing to do with trolling and I can't say that I really care if you think it does.

3. well, i'm something of a master baiter.

but seriously, this was my first post:

"why cellar something when it's fantastic now?"

how is it unclear? you flipped out and called that trolling.

stone also claims a 7% witbier will hold up for 10 years. goose island claims coffee bcbs will improve up to 5 years.

breweries have an obvious conflict of interest ("buy twice as much as you normally would so you can put some away!").

cellaring didn't even get on e.g. sierra nevada's radar until dr. bill cellared bigfoot and brought it to ken grossman's attention. short of actually brewing and aging a test batch, breweries don't know any more than you do. it's guesswork. and on a general basis they are wrong (imo)

cue inigo montoya.

jedwards, ShogoKawada and Etan like this.
  4. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

lmao this thread is going nowhere fast, how about everyone just shuddup about trolling and talk about the beer itself :cool:

JxExM and egrace84 like this.
  5. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (365) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

Please show me where I flipped out. I must have missed that part.

You know what kind of response you were looking for and that you asked the question so you could ultimately spout off about cellaring beer and "value" and everything else you've said thus far. It's not the first time I've seen you go on and on about similar things. If you'd just drop the bullshit and say what you really wanted to say in the first place, we wouldn't even be talking about it anymore. I'm done now... I can't win against a master baiter.

Lets get back to actually talking about this beer specifically. Sorry folks.

6. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

He did.

You even quoted it.

It's in bold print.

7. pepsican

pepsican Savant (325) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

Popped a bottle this afternoon. Great hop profile but the alcohol and heavy malt notes really get in the way of enjoying more than a small sample. Also, it's just far too sweet. Obviously this is a common problem of beers in the ABV range and something other people seem to enjoy rather than seeing it as a flaw. Glad to try it at least.

8. but... i did, in my very first post:

"why cellar something when it's fantastic now?"

and in my response to you (not to the other guy), i elaborated on it.

[​IMG]

i don't see why this is so hard.

9. So...about that Bolt Cutter...anyone seeing it in distribution today?

ABisonEgo, JxExM and Horbar like this.
  10. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

Had it on draft recently, it was good but it wasn't as good as anything else in the backstage series or whatever it is called, just a decent barleywine.

tjfilippo and ShogoKawada like this.
  11. John's in Iowa City got 4 cases that were out today...22$ a bottle...also plenty of backwooods bastard left

12. Cool. I'm no where near there but was just interested if distributors were getting it today and getting it to stores later this week or what. Guess I better go check the shelves frequently here this week!

13. pepsican

pepsican Savant (325) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

They're going quick too. Probably won't last the night.

14. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

You want to cellar? Great, cellar. You want it fresh? Great, drink it fresh. Bickering about what you should do with YOUR own beer is a bit silly, and you look like a couple of 14 year old girls, talking about who has the coolest sparkels on your new smartphone case. Do what YOU want with it.

My thoughts... This beer is drinking pretty fantastically right now. HOWEVER, with that in mind, i want to keep one cellared and see what flavours are more prominent IF the hops fall off a bit. Right now (IMO) it's drinking very much like Bigfoot+Kuhnhenn BBBW Stickiness (Not Barrel Flavor. I wish though)+75 Minute (Maple Character)+2012 Backwoods Bastard (at room temp). The maple and bourbon are only present as the beer warms, and neither flavour is overwhelming. I felt it was very complex, which showed as the beer warmed and you could taste the different flavours. Take my 'review' as you wish, and lets get back to talking about the beer.

{Note: I was asked to compare the beer to something i knew a friend and fellow BA has tried before, so this became my assesment. Not fair to Founders to compare their beer to others, just trying to point out similar characteristics the beers mentioned above shared with Bolt Cutter.}

15. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Walked in to Woodmans after work and overhear the guy say "how many bottles of Boltcutter did we get?" I quickly asked where can I get a bottle, only to be told they only got in 8 bottles this afternoon and were all sold out in less than an hour... So bummed.

16. Palate in Milford Michigan tapped Backwoods at 4PM today and Boltcutter at 5PM.

AndrewKroll likes this.
  17. Got my hands on 6 bottles and tried it at the party Saturday. Good stuff. Can't wait to see how it changes.

18. I looked up the definiton of trolling in the Webster dictionary and it mostly refers to a manner of trying to lure fish onto a hook. I didn't see anything about conversation. Am I missing something?

franklinn and CWBlues like this.
  19. And it was great. Lovin this place

20. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (335) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

$30/bottle here, I really want to try it, but I don't know if I can justify that when it isn't even my favorite style of beer

21. n2185

n2185 Advocate (650) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Your store is ripping you off, and Founders has previously asked people to let them know what stores are marking up their beers so much. It was $17 where I got my bottle.

22. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Where did you hear this?

23. Any word on NJ yet?

24. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Savant (275) Ohio Oct 21, 2008

just got the call, my bottle came in today in Mass

25. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (315) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

This beer is awesome fresh (had on tap at Founders) but really intense. I'm hoping that the abrasive hops cool off and turn spicy with time, and the booziness calms down. Pretty unbalanced right now but a real feat of brewing nonetheless. I'm expecting it to be amazing w/ a year and might go buy more to see what it's like in 6 months or so. Trying to save one for at least 2 years.

26. I'm not sure how bottles of this are going to pop up for under $18 - I bought a case from a local distributor, and my price per bottle in the case was 18.50.

(Sorry, none FT. Split the case with 5 friends, 2 each).

27. danp14

I think they sold it to you for what they were assuming it was going to go for at retail value. There is going to be substatial markup for each tier of the system the beer has to go through.
    For example: If the brewery sells beer to the distribution company for $10.00 per each bottle, the distributor would then tack on a few bucks per bottle to make money from retail, and then retail would then mark it up a little bit more to make their money back from you (common practice in all retail operations, as most everyone should know).
    It's not hard to believe that people are finding for $18 and under. It really all depends on the price point that it started at out of the brewery, and the subsequent mark-up from each tier the beer has to travel through. For all we know Founders could wholesale this beer for $5 a bottle to the distributor, and the distributor made $13 a bottle off of your one case.

All that being said, anything above brewery price point (which even that was borderline unreasonable) is IMO too high. But the amount of money you're willing to spend will reflect just how badly you want to try or have bottle(s) of the beer.

28. n2185

n2185 Advocate (650) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

An official rep posted it here around when CBS came out and many stores were charging $30+ for bottles.

29. meanwhile, sebago's barleywine is $8 a bottle, and aged in woodford reserve barrels.

enjoy the hype train, suckers!

30. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (390) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Found a local wine shop that has 12 bottles left, dont plan on getting any of them. 20.50$ for a beer that isnt getting too good of reviews, no thanks.

31. $30 in Chicago. Only saw it at one place, though.

32. ckobes

ckobes Initiate (0) Illinois Jul 11, 2012

Binnys in Niles, IL has it. Only one box left. They're charging $24 and change after taxes.

33. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (390) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Fuck Binnys

34. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Scored one of these today at Golden Valley Liquor Barrel in MN. Going in the cellar.

35. Since I'm in PA you're absolutely right. Founders sold to the wholesaler for $X per case, which was passed on to my distributor for $X+Y (wholesaler profits), and now my distributor is selling above their price directly to me (distributor profits).

I guess I'm just used to paying even more than that in PA, because usually there's another step (bottle shop markup) that I was lucky enough to avoid. I'm surprised that the brewery seems to have the highest price here, especially considering they had a "ticket release" to get bottles direct from them. Glad I have friends that wanted this too, no way I'd buy the case if I couldn't immediately unload 8-10 bottles and save my friends some cash too (which is exactly what I did, keeping 2).

36. chippo33

chippo33 Advocate (605) Vermont Feb 29, 2012

In stock in VT now

franklinn likes this.
  37. Place in South Jersey has it. Just came in.

38. danp14

Hey, i wish i was in the same boat and could get it wholesale direct. In MI we have to rake over cash to pay for all three mark-ups as well. I agree, it is really interesting that Founders seems to be about $5 more than most places folks are posting on here. Plus, for the brewery sales we had to fork out $5 to charity to even have the opportunity to buy the beer. The way i see it. Oh Well. I ended up getting two from Founders last week at the $23 mark. Not thrilled about spending $51 on two bottles, but it could've always been worse, and i was happy with the beer they put out.

cnbrown313 likes this.
  39. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Meanwhile?! Dish the dirt! Where can I get some???

40. I'll always pick up a Founders release for your exact reason - I'm (just about) always happy with the beer they put out. Excited to crack open one of these and give it a try!